Sponsored

Assistance with Wiring Solar Panel to Charge Dometic PLB-40

First Name
Kristen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon
Hello everyone! I am looking for a little help from someone who is hopefully more knowledgable than I am on electronics and wiring.

I have a 2019 Jeep JL Rubicon with a hardshell rooftop tent. On top of the tent is a Merlin Solar panel that has wiring running down into the back of the Jeep. Inside I have a Dometic PLB-40 battery that plugs into the panel and then runs my Dometic CFX-35 fridge.

Issue: The PLB-40 is somewhat finicky, and if the solar panel isn't in direct bright sunlight, it complains with a continuous audible beeping and error to indicate it cannot charge. IE: the input power isn't sufficient to charge. This means anytime I'm in shade, even if it's for a few moments driving down the road, the battery starts to error and beep. Driving back into sunlight does not reset the battery -- I have to unplug the solar input and plug it back in to reset the error.

Obviously this isn't very convenient as it means I can only charge the battery in direct high sunlight, and if a cloud or rainstorm comes up while I'm driving, I have to pull over and unplug the solar panel or be annoyed with constant beeping.

I'd like to install one of two solutions:
- #1) A device that only sends power to the battery when the watts / amps >= a set value. IE: it cuts off charge to the battery when the panel output drops, thereby preventing the error. OR:
- #2) Using one of the Aux switches in the Jeep, wire up some sort of switch that "turns the solar panel on /off". Effectively a switch that I can press when I'm in sunlight to charge, but I can press to quickly disable charging if the input power drops.

Option #2 would be my preference, especially if I can wire it to the factory Aux switches in the Jeep. Anyone know if something like this is possible? What sort of part am I looking for do this? When I google for cutoff switches I tend to get results designed for more residential applications that are too large. I'm guessing there's a name for the type of device I need, but I don't know what it is. Any help is much appreciated!

Jeep Wrangler JL Assistance with Wiring Solar Panel to Charge Dometic PLB-40 D7772A7C-0E1D-4A0C-8B39-29DC84A13C85

Jeep Wrangler JL Assistance with Wiring Solar Panel to Charge Dometic PLB-40 6F09D907-5F9B-4E6C-A178-4CD91EBCAE1A
Sponsored