First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Small Business Owner
I am looking to swap my factory wheels for some aftermarket wheels, and while I am open to other variants I have narrowed down my list to the following three options:

Black Rhino ArsenalMethod MR703Warn Epic Jackhammer
17x8.5 / 30 Offset​
17x8.5 / 0 or 25 Offset​
17x8.5 / 0 Offset​
Jeep Wrangler JL Assistance with Wheel Fitment on 21 Rubicon Black Rhino
Jeep Wrangler JL Assistance with Wheel Fitment on 21 Rubicon Method
Jeep Wrangler JL Assistance with Wheel Fitment on 21 Rubicon War

I am not at all clear on offset/backspace, although with the exception of the Method MR703, I have no options for that. The Method MR703, however, comes in either 0 or 25 offset, and I have no idea which I should select. My plan is to mount my existing Falken Wildpeak M/T 285/70/17 tires on them and then move into the next size, 315/70/17, down the road. In any case, my questions are:
  1. Will these wheels fit on my 2021 Unlimited Rubicon without issue, both with the current tires and with the larger tires or do I need to do anything to the Jeep?
  2. Will these wheels fit on the factory spare tire carrier with a backup camera? I feel like I've seen reports that the Black Rhino wheels will not, but I can't find anything definite.
  3. Do the factory TPMS sensors get moved to the new wheels?
  4. Is there anything else I should be aware of?
Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I'd stay away from the -30 offset, get quite a bit of tire poke and it will have an adverse effect on scrub radius. Those other two sets will work well. The more you plan to lift the more I'd lean toward the zero offset. The +25 offset is best if you plan to keep your Rubicon closer to stock suspension and run 35s or smaller tires.

Not sure about camera clearance, I would assume there won't be a problem, you might have to remove the plastic camera cover to get more clearance, I had to do that w/ my Pro-Comp spare.

You can swap your TPMS sensors to your new wheels.

OP
OP
ifonline

ifonline

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Small Business Owner
I'd stay away from the -30 offset, get quite a bit of tire poke and it will have an adverse effect on scrub radius.
That's not a -30 offset for the Black Rhino wheels. It's 30, but I didn't format my text well enough to make that clear. From left to right the offsets are 30, 0 or 25, and 0. I'll update my post to try and be more clear.

The more you plan to lift the more I'd lean toward the zero offset. The +25 offset is best if you plan to keep your Rubicon closer to stock suspension and run 35s or smaller tires.
I do plan on keeping the stock suspension, if possible, although I may go to a 1.5" or 2" lift if really needed so I can fit the 35" Wildpeak tires.

Not sure about camera clearance, I would assume there won't be a problem, you might have to remove the plastic camera cover to get more clearance, I had to do that w/ my Pro-Comp spare.
I was thinking fitment issues with the spare tire carrier might be related to the depth/offset/backspace (or whatever) of the aftermarket wheels more than anything, but I don't know that for sure.

You can swap your TPMS sensors to your new wheels.
Got it. Thanks.

DrJ

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I am looking to swap my factory wheels for some aftermarket wheels, and while I am open to other variants I have narrowed down my list to the following three options:

Black Rhino ArsenalMethod MR703Warn Epic Jackhammer
17x8.5 / 30 Offset​
17x8.5 / 0 or 25 Offset​
17x8.5 / 0 Offset​

I am not at all clear on offset/backspace, although with the exception of the Method MR703, I have no options for that. The Method MR703, however, comes in either 0 or 25 offset, and I have no idea which I should select. My plan is to mount my existing Falken Wildpeak M/T 285/70/17 tires on them and then move into the next size, 315/70/17, down the road. In any case, my questions are:
  1. Will these wheels fit on my 2021 Unlimited Rubicon without issue, both with the current tires and with the larger tires or do I need to do anything to the Jeep?
  2. Will these wheels fit on the factory spare tire carrier with a backup camera? I feel like I've seen reports that the Black Rhino wheels will not, but I can't find anything definite.
  3. Do the factory TPMS sensors get moved to the new wheels?
  4. Is there anything else I should be aware of?
Thanks.
I put these on my JLR with 315/70/17: https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/rubicon-xtreme-wheel-5x5/black-wrangler-jk-jl-gladiator-jt

With 4.75” backspace (-6 offset) there’s more poke than I’d like to have. I don’t get any rubbing at full turn, but I haven’t checked clearances to see how much I clearance there is to suspension or steering components.

This is all to say, I think you should go with the +25 or +30 offset. It will still have an inch or so of poke.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I put these on my JLR with 315/70/17: https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/rubicon-xtreme-wheel-5x5/black-wrangler-jk-jl-gladiator-jt

With 4.75” backspace (-6 offset) there’s more poke than I’d like to have. I don’t get any rubbing at full turn, but I haven’t checked clearances to see how much I clearance there is to suspension or steering components.

This is all to say, I think you should go with the +25 or +30 offset. It will still have an inch or so of poke.
Yeah, with a mild lift and the wider Rubicon axles a +25 is a good setup, I was suggesting a zero if he planned to go w/ a bigger lift and tires over 35.

@ifonline Glad that was a typo on the -30 offset :)

Sponsored

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)
If you are thinking of a lift kit in the future go to their website and see what BS/Offset is recommended for the lift you may purchase.

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
Not to be rude by hijacking your thread, ifonline, but I'm looking at doing the same with my JLR and since there are some knowledgeable folks responding...plus you may want to know this info, too.

Anyone know what the offset is on the OEM wheels are? Also, how much wider are Rubi axles than non-Rubi ones?

I'm planning on a Mopar 2" lift at some point in the future, but going with 35's and new wheels now.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
+25mm offset is what the AEV wheels for the JL/JT have as offset. It will keep a 35 or 37 x 12.5" tires mostly tucked under the Rubicon fenders. You "may" have some rubbing at full turn on some of the larger (e.g. Nitto). tires in those sizes.

Just look at pictures of Jeeps with AEV wheels in here and you will know the look.

I went with a +10 offset, which is what the AEV wheels for the JK and the Mopar wheels for the JK and JL/JT have for offset. Also most of the Quadratec wheels have this offset (in 17x8.5). That will keep the 285 tires under the fenders and the 12.5" tires barely poking out.

This +10 offset is also compatible with more lift kits, than the +25mm. For instance Rock Krawler lift kits will rub on the +25/+30.

But for what you described those wheels you posted will work.

OP
OP
ifonline

ifonline

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Small Business Owner
OP
OP
ifonline

ifonline

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Small Business Owner
Anyone know what the offset is on the OEM wheels are? Also, how much wider are Rubi axles than non-Rubi ones?
My research found that the offset on the OEM Rubicon wheels is 44.45 with a backspace of 6.125“. The only thing I don’t know is which wheel that actually is since there are a few versions.

Sponsored

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
My research found that the offset on the OEM Rubicon wheels is 44.45 with a backspace of 6.125“. The only thing I don’t know is which wheel that actually is since there are a few versions.
that is all of the stock wheels except for the Mojave. The Mojave has a little less offset, I think around 37 or so.

OP
OP
ifonline

ifonline

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Small Business Owner

dsiciliaa

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara JLU
Not to be rude by hijacking your thread, ifonline, but I'm looking at doing the same with my JLR and since there are some knowledgeable folks responding...plus you may want to know this info, too.

I'm planning on a Mopar 2" lift at some point in the future, but going with 35's and new wheels now.
Did you ever figure this out? Im also looking to run 35x12.5r17 with a +30 17x8 wheel on my sahara. Not sure if this will rub.

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
Did you ever figure this out? Im also looking to run 35x12.5r17 with a +30 17x8 wheel on my sahara. Not sure if this will rub.
Yes. See pics. I decided on a Mopar 2" lift over BFG 315's on 8.5" wheels with 0 offset. It's perfect. No rubbing. Axles are perfectly centered. No need for a track bar or new drive shaft or brake lines. Drives like stock.

Jeep Wrangler JL Assistance with Wheel Fitment on 21 Rubicon DDC34365-7546-4434-896D-835A678BDF34

Jeep Wrangler JL Assistance with Wheel Fitment on 21 Rubicon C668BFCC-6E5C-4DB0-AEAE-C42346F93B8C

Last edited:

dsiciliaa

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara JLU
Yes. See pics. I decided on a Mopar 2" lift over BFG 315's on 8.5" wheels with 0 offset. It's perfect. No rubbing. Axels are perfectly centered. No need for a track bar or new drive shaft or brake lines. Drives like stock.

Jeep Wrangler JL Assistance with Wheel Fitment on 21 Rubicon C668BFCC-6E5C-4DB0-AEAE-C42346F93B8C

Looks sharp dude!! Thanks for the prompt response!
Sponsored