Sponsored

Asking for advice from all 2.0 owners - please

DesertFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep KL
Remember that the Alfa 2.0 engine is entirely different from the Jeep 2.0, so researching the two engines is hardly a direct comparison. They had different design teams, completely different heads, different VVT, completely different blocks, different tuning, etc. They do share the same displacement.

Sponsored

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Remember that the Alfa 2.0 engine is entirely different from the Jeep 2.0, so researching the two engines is hardly a direct comparison. They had different design teams, completely different heads, different VVT, completely different blocks, different tuning, etc. They do share the same displacement.
Yes, agree. I was trying to see if there were fundamental issues with the engine and I haven’t really found anything to suggest the engine has any notable flaws or concerns. The direct injection carbon buildup topic seems to be speculation based on the technology generally, and not with any examples I could find in the Hurricane engine or any variants. With the battery deleted from the 2020 turbo, it eases my fears significantly. Again, not enough miles on these engines to know one way or another.

So I am left with the impression that the non BSG turbo is likely to be mostly trouble free for the first 100k, which seems to be the case with most every modern engines these days. I would expect that after 150k I am likely to see issues with either the Turbo or the direct injection. By then, it would be my kids problem as I would likely be into another car and way past my warranty, not to mention the Jeep would be fully depreciated by then.

OP
OP

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
The issue of depreciation: they don't, normally it's between Jeep and Toyota 4Runners for top spot on the holds its value chart. I've looked around and even old, like 10-15-20 year old Jeeps ain't what I would call a bargain. And, as most would agree, the JL is the best Jeep so far. I know there's a ton of," let me tell you boy, the CJ, TJ, or whatever WAS the best" I hear ya but I don't agree. They were simpler, easier to modify, and costs a lot less when new, but today's buyer doesn't want bare bones, they want comfort, nice interiors and gizmo's. I grew up in the 70's, back when AC was considered a big deal and power windows/locks were silly. It was easy to buy old late 60's muscle cars dirt cheap cause back then, they were just old used cars, not the leg wetting, drool inducing, crazy expensive things you see on TV auctions these days. Oh, if I just had kept my 1972 Z-28, my 1968 Chevelle SS.... and mention the '69 Mach I to my cousin - then run, (he totaled it), but nobody knew back then. Who knows what the next Jeep will be or have, You don't want to mess wih success but the name of the game is to put asses in Jeeps with a sold sign on the windshield. I think eventually they will go IFS and fix the electrical gremlins. On a side note, I have a buddy that eats/sleeps/breathes Ford products, you know - that guy, and he recently told me he had lost all faith that the new Bronco would be anything like he would want. I was totally shocked and tried to steer him to Jeep, but he's on the fence til the Bronco comes out - wheneve that will happen!

Jeep your tips up

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS 2.0 Bright White Dual Tops
I've had one for just over a year, 45k kms / 28k miles and 0 issues....love it every day.

Sponsored

GenaL

First Name
Gena
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2.0 2-door (Firecracker Red)
I am 1 year and 24,000 kms in. Love my 2.0L. ONLY downside, paying for premium gas instead of regular.

HDinkH

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2.0
Folks, I have a 2018 Sport S with the V6, actually it's my youngest daughters' Jeep. Now, big sister wants a 2 door Jeep and I'm not in a position to help her get till next year. I have read a lot of your posts and have reconsidered my - never get a turbo - position. I want to keep my options open and if a 2 door, right color, right options comes along, I don't want to pass just because it's not a V6. I've read the 2020 models (except Sahara) are just ESS and no mild hybrid like before and that actually is a plus in my mind, keep it simple and all. Although ain't nothing all that simple anymore, even raising kids, that damn Brady Bunch could fix anything in 30 minutes! We won't be rock crawling or mud bogging, just a mild trial in the woods or the Outer Banks, looking at another Sport S. I appreciate your time and thoughts. Thanks!

I planned to get a V6 until I test drive the turbo. Between the power/acceleration and gas mileage I was sold. I average 25 mpg in town. I totally recommend the turbo!

Jeep Number 8

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hard Top and 2018 BMW 430i Hard top convertible.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Folks, I have a 2018 Sport S with the V6, actually it's my youngest daughters' Jeep. Now, big sister wants a 2 door Jeep and I'm not in a position to help her get till next year. I have read a lot of your posts and have reconsidered my - never get a turbo - position. I want to keep my options open and if a 2 door, right color, right options comes along, I don't want to pass just because it's not a V6. I've read the 2020 models (except Sahara) are just ESS and no mild hybrid like before and that actually is a plus in my mind, keep it simple and all. Although ain't nothing all that simple anymore, even raising kids, that damn Brady Bunch could fix anything in 30 minutes! We won't be rock crawling or mud bogging, just a mild trial in the woods or the Outer Banks, looking at another Sport S. I appreciate your time and thoughts. Thanks!
I bought a 2019 JLU 2.0L and am so glad I did. As for turbo's, look how many vehicles have 4 cylinders with turbos. My wife is on her second BMW 430i hard top convertible with 4 cylinder turbo as hasn't had a lick of problems. Prior to the BMW's she had 4 cylinder turbo charged Hyundai Genisis coupes and again no problems. The turbo has been around for years and is perfected.

Chrysler-Factory-Warranty

First Name
Mopar Warranty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.chrysler-factory-warranty.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Warranty Sales
Jeep Dealer, I have driven both V6 and Turbo.
Drove them both hard on road of course.
Love the Turbo, it seems to have plenty of power at all speeds. Anyone got offroad comparisons?

====================================
Only cover your Jeep with Genuine Mopar Vehicle Protection. Buy Direct And Save.
http://www.chrysler-factory-warranty.com
Sponsored