Asking for advice from all 2.0 owners - please

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Folks, I have a 2018 Sport S with the V6, actually it's my youngest daughters' Jeep. Now, big sister wants a 2 door Jeep and I'm not in a position to help her get till next year. I have read a lot of your posts and have reconsidered my - never get a turbo - position. I want to keep my options open and if a 2 door, right color, right options comes along, I don't want to pass just because it's not a V6. I've read the 2020 models (except Sahara) are just ESS and no mild hybrid like before and that actually is a plus in my mind, keep it simple and all. Although ain't nothing all that simple anymore, even raising kids, that damn Brady Bunch could fix anything in 30 minutes! We won't be rock crawling or mud bogging, just a mild trial in the woods or the Outer Banks, looking at another Sport S. I appreciate your time and thoughts. Thanks!
Sponsored

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
Folks, I have a 2018 Sport S with the V6, actually it's my youngest daughters' Jeep. Now, big sister wants a 2 door Jeep and I'm not in a position to help her get till next year. I have read a lot of your posts and have reconsidered my - never get a turbo - position. I want to keep my options open and if a 2 door, right color, right options comes along, I don't want to pass just because it's not a V6. I've read the 2020 models (except Sahara) are just ESS and no mild hybrid like before and that actually is a plus in my mind, keep it simple and all. Although ain't nothing all that simple anymore, even raising kids, that damn Brady Bunch could fix anything in 30 minutes! We won't be rock crawling or mud bogging, just a mild trial in the woods or the Outer Banks, looking at another Sport S. I appreciate your time and thoughts. Thanks!
I have a 2018 2 door JL 2.0 Turbo, and love it! It's peppy and I have really enjoyed it both on trails and pavement. The 2.0 is great on gas mileage, zippy and all around fun to drive! The only issues I have had were a TSB Flash Update for the cooling fan (which this was as issue on both 2.0 and 3.6 engines) and a clicking sound caused by what was inevitably the differential. With the TSB Update, I took it in and they updated it no problem, all covered under warranty. With the differential, I got two opinions and found that the noise is actually normal...the problem was that a cover muffling the noise had fallen down because a grommet came loose, and once the grommet was replaced, it's been fine (and this was also completely covered under warranty). Every now and again I hear it with the doors off, but I know it's normal so I don't really care.

Anyway, I personally would definitely recommend the 2.0 L. If you go on the forums for 2.0 Turbos, a majority of people (all that I know of) really love them!

Last edited:

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
2-door Rubicon here.
It s a fantastic daily driver and a blast off-road.
I did op for the lifetime warranty.

This is my 5th Turbo equipped vehicle. Currently all 3 of my vehicles have Turbos. The other two had well over 100,000 miles when I sold them.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 2.0 turbo as well and love it. The blend of power and economy are excellent for a daily driver thats pretty much a brick on wheels.

Any problems I have had are self induced.

OP
OP

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Thanks for the replies! What do ya'll think of adding a catch-can? I'm feeling that it doesn't cost much, can't hurt and maybe would help in the long run.

Sponsored

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Iā€™m not aware of many, if any, 2.0T ownerā€™s who are disappointed with their choice. I think youā€™re going to get mostly positive feedback here in answer to your question.

I have a U.K. spec JLUR with the 2.0 engine (no eTorque) and Iā€™m happy with itā€™s power and not disappointed by itā€™s fuel consumption. I find it enjoyable to drive too.

DesertFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep KL
...What do ya'll think of adding a catch-can? I'm feeling that it doesn't cost much, can't hurt and maybe would help in the long run.
Actually it ā€œcanā€ hurt, if you don't like getting a CEL. Some report getting the light, others donā€™t. As for value, to me it is in the same area as the ā€œgrounding wireā€ fad from a decade ago. I change oil every 5000 miles, and I see no change in oil level over that time period. So, where does the oil come from that some folks ā€œreportā€, like catching 6 oz every 2000 miles? IMO, save your money. But itā€™s your Jeep, do what you want.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Get the 2.0 and donā€™t look back. If you want an even more scientific reason. Go to a dealership on a Saturday and watch people take tests drives of both, you will see the 2.0 outsell in that environment. On the forums people tend to run from anything new and discuss failures etc, reality is they are both great power plants and turbos are where itā€™s headed across all brands. If you plan to see any elevation get a turbo.

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
I agree with @Rploaded. Jeepers love their 2.0's, but you definitely have to take the forums with a grain of salt. Of course, most forums are made for when people are having a problem with their vehicles, so don't let that make you paranoid for whichever engine you decide because there is always a chance that you could have an issue with either one. Also, be careful when reading comments from those with 3.6 L engines because they love to bash the 2.0 for whatever reason (probably because they don't have one ;)). I think your best bet is test driving both a couple times and seeing what feels right for you. At the end of the day, it's what fits your lifestyle!

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the replies! What do ya'll think of adding a catch-can? I'm feeling that it doesn't cost much, can't hurt and maybe would help in the long run.
I run catch cans on all of my vehicles; there is value added to keeping the intake manifold and valves clean.

Sponsored

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Actually it ā€œcanā€ hurt, if you don't like getting a CEL. Some report getting the light, others donā€™t. As for value, to me it is in the same area as the ā€œgrounding wireā€ fad from a decade ago. I change oil every 5000 miles, and I see no change in oil level over that time period. So, where does the oil come from that some folks ā€œreportā€, like catching 6 oz every 2000 miles? IMO, save your money. But itā€™s your Jeep, do what you want.

It is not all oil. Blowby, fuel diluted oil and a little bit of condensation.

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Yj Wrangler, 18 JLUS, 82 J10 Pickup
Occupation
Ford Tech
I would say you'd be fine with the 2.0. I would definitely go with one that doesn't have etorque as you were thinking. I've had issues with it already and I agree with your thinking that keeping it simple is better

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I am in the same boat as you - contemplating a JLR with a 2.0, but a bit worried about the engine's reliability. I spent time on the Alfa Guila and Stelvio forums to see what experiences those folks have with essentially the same engine (minus the BSG). Here's what I gleaned:

• the 2.0 is quickly becoming the default engine across FCA, meaning it will be resourced and supported for years to come (as was the Pentastar). Parts shouldn't be an issue, given that the Hurricane version of the engine is built and sourced in Toledo
  • few reliability issues reported with the 2.0 engine (seems to be issues with things other than the engine, if any)
  • some concern about the service intervals and costs on things like serpentine belts and spark plugs, with Alfa dealers charging a ridiculous amount for what seems to be an easy DIY job
  • the manufacturer of the turbocharger used in the 2.0 is well regarded
  • lots of speculation on the long term costs of a direct injection engine, but no actual examples of any issues people are having. I don't think many people have high miles on these engines (e.g. over 80-100k miles) so time will tell
I rented a JK with the 3.6, and a JLUS with the turbo. I enjoyed the 3.6 but I LOVED the turbo engine - powerful, responsive, and decent mpgs (when I wasn't wailing on it for the sheer fun).

The turbo is calling my name. I have two turbo diesels in my household currently (a BMW 328d and a RAM Cummins turbo diesel) and love them both - excellent response and torque and reliable so far (45k on the Cummins, and 72k on the BMW). My sense is that engine makers have largely resolved the issues with early turbos, though I do have questions about the long term direct injection.

The things I can point to that supports the 3.6 are:

• it has proven to be reliable after some early teething issues, and the 3.6 in the Wrangler has some improvements
  • like the 2.0, it uses a timing chain rather than a timing belt which lowers long term service costs
  • the large number of 3.6 engines produced mean that parts availability and service won't be a challenge long term

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Turbos are not new, I had a 1985 Subaru with a 1.8L turbo, fun car. Just about every car manufacturer had or has a turbo in their line up.
Direct Injection is not new. Same as a turbo, just about every manufacturer is using direct Injection.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
I rented a JK with the 3.6, and a JLUS with the turbo. I enjoyed the 3.6 but I LOVED the turbo engine - powerful, responsive, and decent mpgs (when I wasn't wailing on it for the sheer fun).
Keep in mind that the JK 3.6 did not have the 8 speed, but the 3.6 JL does.
Sponsored