Asking about which mode would be best for a long trip

Jennifer A

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4xe
I have only had my Sahara Unlimited 4xe about three weeks and don't know which mode would be best on a 1500+ mile interstate highway road trip. Gas is close to $5.00 a gallon and I am trying to save what I can.
Thanks
Sponsored

lindaspins

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock
Hybrid mode, and drive a bit conservatively if you want to save gas just as you normally would. On the highway you'll get a longer coast is max regen is off; if you have long downhills you'll recapture charge with max regen on.
The only exception is if you have a lot of charge and want to hold it back to use in electric at your destination, then you'll want e-save.
We found that just leaving it in hybrid worked well for our Ohio to Utah trip.

Slumpbuster

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4xe Rubicon
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Other threads talk about putting it in manual mode and getting better distance millage. Like you I’m too lazy to search for the link to put here for you. Lol

OP
OP

Jennifer A

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I saw that post but it sounded like it just changed the way the vehicle calculated the milage readout.

Sponsored

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
I saw that post but it sounded like it just changed the way the vehicle calculated the milage readout.
That’s not accurate. Putting the jeep in manual mode allows you to keep it in 8th gear on the highway instead of letting the auto transmission change gears during slight acceleration. This will help save you gas on the highway.

I did a 3500 mile road trip in my Sahara 4xe last summer and after playing with all of the different modes, hybrid with manual gear selection seemed to net me the best fuel efficiency.

OP
OP

Jennifer A

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I will give that a try and see how I do. What kind of milage did you achieve?

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
I did a quick Mother's Day weekend 1500-mile round trip and ran Hybrid mode 99% of the time, Max Regen OFF. Tank-fill measure method 22.3mpg overall, almost all just interstate ("The Big Suck" known as I-65).

The 1% consisted of the 2 cold starts at begin/end of the trip running M-mode for gentle warmup. Travel speeds were 65-75mph for a majority of the trip with a few more than a few full-snort-balls-out passing events each way.

The winds were from the side both days so relatively not a huge factor.

Dwire4xe

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
For my last trip i was able to Manual shift to 8th gear and then go back into drive and it would hold onto 8th gear if i was holding steady on the throttle.

This weekend i went through a full tank coming out to 326 miles and 23.4 MPG on the dash. Had 2 full charges before my 2 trips. Haven't filled back up yet so wasnt able to hand calculate mileage yet.

Stock Rubicon

OP
OP

Jennifer A

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did a quick Mother's Day weekend 1500-mile round trip and ran Hybrid mode 99% of the time, Max Regen OFF. Tank-fill measure method 22.3mpg overall, almost all just interstate ("The Big Suck" known as I-65).

The 1% consisted of the 2 cold starts at begin/end of the trip running M-mode for gentle warmup. Travel speeds were 65-75mph for a majority of the trip with a few more than a few full-snort-balls-out passing events each way.

The winds were from the side both days so relatively not a huge factor.
Thank you!! I'm making my trip next week and running I-75 and I-81 heading north first. Hoping for at least that much fuel mileage. I won't be in a hurry so we'll see if I can control myself and keep the speed down at the limit. Yeah, right!!
Sponsored