Sponsored

ASFIR Skids for Eco Diesel: Who has them and would you buy again?

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

The price on the ASFIR skids is very attractive. While I think the NVM skids and such are totally bad ass, I have a hard time stomaching the idea of dropping close to $3k on them.

So for those of you who have the ASFIR skids, preferably the eco diesel specific ones but others are welcome too, would you buy them again? If not, why?
Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

OP
OP
ChuckQue

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

I wrote up a summary of the skid plates available for the diesel before buying mine. Apparently prices have gone up "a bit" since then. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/summary-of-available-ecodiesel-skid-plates.90479/

And I agree: the NVM skids with UHMW are bad ass. The weight savings alone was pretty important to me. Unfortunately I'm close to GVWR when empty.
Itā€™s a great thread! I was hoping for someone with real world experience to chime in. Looks like I may have to be the Guinea pig, like with the bronze colored KMC Tanks.

Iā€™m definitely trying to keep my weight down as well. Iā€˜ll probably swap out the steel bumpers to aluminum in addition to the ASFIR skids.

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
Mine is an XR with the 3.6 but I bought and installed the ASFIR engine and transmission skid plate and itā€™s great! Fits perfectly, install was straight forward and only weighs 24 lbs (itā€™s aluminum). It took about a month to receive after ordering but their communication was great! I added the MORE aluminum transfer case skid (arrived within a few days) also and feel very protected. I paid somewhere in the $400-$500 for both skid plates! The other skid plate manufacturers would cost much more than this!

Jeep Wrangler JL ASFIR Skids for Eco Diesel:  Who has them and would you buy again? 9523D61E-9176-4C7A-B372-5DE9C49F4B98

Last edited:

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Itā€™s a great thread! I was hoping for someone with real world experience to chime in. Looks like I may have to be the Guinea pig, like with the bronze colored KMC Tanks.

Iā€™m definitely trying to keep my weight down as well. Iā€˜ll probably swap out the steel bumpers to aluminum in addition to the ASFIR skids.
Will aluminum bumpers be sufficient in an accident? My stock steel bumpers were pretty impressive when my '20 was totaled last year.

I got AEV hot stamped boron steel bumpers this time. They're pretty damn impressive. Better than OEM build quality and boron steel is supposed to be incredibly strong even though the metal is really thin.
Sponsored