Asfir skid install on EcoDiesel

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Edit: Skids are installed, instructions in the next post.

I'm sure somebody has already blazed this trail and was hoping to get some install tips. I got this two piece engine and transfer kit:
Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel Version Underbody Protection Kit (2 Pcs) (asfir.com)

Pic for reference:
Jeep Wrangler JL Asfir skid install on EcoDiesel 1650033569863

I'm thinking the large one that protects the engine will be pretty straight forward.
The Transfer & Fuel filter skid plate I believe requires relocating the factory underbody fuel filter.
Can @ASFIR4X4 or anybody else provide some specifics? I wasn't able to find anything over the last few days searching.
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: KNN
OP
OP
BDinTX

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got some help from @morlan52 who had also posted over here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...able-ecodiesel-skid-plates.90479/post-1914885

To install you'll need:
13mm, 16mm, 17mm, & 19mm sockets
17mm deep socket
Extensions
13mm combination wrench

I lifted the jeep about 6-8" in the front to give me more room. I'm not sure its necessary but it was helpful.

The motor mount bolts come out with 13mm drive from the top. morlan52 was spot on by pointing out you can get to the passenger side from through the wheel well.
After you back those out you replace them with the M10x1.5x50 bolt using the 17mm socket and your contortionist skills. This is the hardest part.
Drivers side:
Jeep Wrangler JL Asfir skid install on EcoDiesel 1650069868227

Passenger side:
Jeep Wrangler JL Asfir skid install on EcoDiesel 1650070002525

Hang the engine skid supports from the new bolts, loosly fasten with washers and nut.

Remove the crossmember bolts using a 19mm socket, these will be reused on the back end of the engine skid.
Jeep Wrangler JL Asfir skid install on EcoDiesel 1650070066953

Insert the spring sheet nuts in the forward crossmember. Counting from the passenger side, the nuts go into the 2nd and 9th holes. The one in the 2nd hole should be inserted through the 1st hole. The one in the 9th hole should be inserted from the 10th hole.
Jeep Wrangler JL Asfir skid install on EcoDiesel 1650070123672

Stop here go get a cheeseburger and celebrate being almost done.

Put the big 19mm bolts you're reusing through the skid and turn in a few times.

Hang the front of the skid from the small bolts, through the skid supports.

Make sure the middle pocket washers fit correctly, snug (but don't tighten) them up with a 13mm socket.

Tighten the nut on the motor mount bolts using the deep 17mm socket.

Tighten the nuts on the front of the skid with a 13mm socket and 13 mm wrench.

Tighten the 19mm bolts at the aft end.

Tighten the pocket washers in the middle with the 13mm socket.

The fuel skid just bolts over the top of the fuel filter housing. At first I didn't think it would offer any protection from a hard impact but there is about a 1/2" gap between the factory housing and the skid.

Remove the two big bolts on the frame rail with a 16mm socket.
Loosely fasten the skid with the new bolts using a 17mm socket.
Loosely attach the Asfir fuel skid to the factory transfer case skid with the small bolts and pocket washers. Once they're all in, tighten with a 13mm socket and 13mm wrench. Tighten the big bolts with the 17mm socket.

Painted and stickered up to increase horsepower!
Jeep Wrangler JL Asfir skid install on EcoDiesel 1650070219092

Install instructions are non-existent but I like the skid.

I wish they offered a skid to cover what I believe is the DEF injector on the exhaust.
That looks like it would be expensive if it got smashed.
Jeep Wrangler JL Asfir skid install on EcoDiesel 1650070285129

morlan52

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Occupation
SCADA Engineer
Great instructions and photos Brad - agreed that the hardest part was that passenger side engine mount bolt. Definitely had to stare at it for longer than I should've before I figured out the wheel well access.

OP
OP
BDinTX

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m glad you did the mental heavy lifting. It probably wouldnā€™t have dawned on me to go in through the wheel well!

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
I need to consider that. Did you have to move the fuel filter?

Sponsored

OP
OP
BDinTX

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I need to consider that. Did you have to move the fuel filter?
Nope, it just bolts on over the top. I guess relocating it would give you a smidge more clearance but the videos Iā€™ve seen where they do it sure does seem like a PITA

ASFIR4X4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JK, JL, Gladiator
Nope, it just bolts on over the top. I guess relocating it would give you a smidge more clearance but the videos Iā€™ve seen where they do it sure does seem like a PITA
Correct @BDinTX (and sorry for my late response!), there is no need to remove any part for that installation.

Hercules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ram 2500 Longhorn, 2022 JLURD
Got some help from @morlan52 who had also posted over here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...able-ecodiesel-skid-plates.90479/post-1914885

To install you'll need:
13mm, 16mm, 17mm, & 19mm sockets
17mm deep socket
Extensions
13mm combination wrench

I lifted the jeep about 6-8" in the front to give me more room. I'm not sure its necessary but it was helpful.

The motor mount bolts come out with 13mm drive from the top. morlan52 was spot on by pointing out you can get to the passenger side from through the wheel well.
After you back those out you replace them with the M10x1.5x50 bolt using the 17mm socket and your contortionist skills. This is the hardest part.
Drivers side:

Passenger side:

Hang the engine skid supports from the new bolts, loosly fasten with washers and nut.

Remove the crossmember bolts using a 19mm socket, these will be reused on the back end of the engine skid.

Insert the spring sheet nuts in the forward crossmember. Counting from the passenger side, the nuts go into the 2nd and 9th holes. The one in the 2nd hole should be inserted through the 1st hole. The one in the 9th hole should be inserted from the 10th hole.

Stop here go get a cheeseburger and celebrate being almost done.

Put the big 19mm bolts you're reusing through the skid and turn in a few times.

Hang the front of the skid from the small bolts, through the skid supports.

Make sure the middle pocket washers fit correctly, snug (but don't tighten) them up with a 13mm socket.

Tighten the nut on the motor mount bolts using the deep 17mm socket.

Tighten the nuts on the front of the skid with a 13mm socket and 13 mm wrench.

Tighten the 19mm bolts at the aft end.

Tighten the pocket washers in the middle with the 13mm socket.

The fuel skid just bolts over the top of the fuel filter housing. At first I didn't think it would offer any protection from a hard impact but there is about a 1/2" gap between the factory housing and the skid.

Remove the two big bolts on the frame rail with a 16mm socket.
Loosely fasten the skid with the new bolts using a 17mm socket.
Loosely attach the Asfir fuel skid to the factory transfer case skid with the small bolts and pocket washers. Once they're all in, tighten with a 13mm socket and 13mm wrench. Tighten the big bolts with the 17mm socket.

Painted and stickered up to increase horsepower!

Install instructions are non-existent but I like the skid.

I wish they offered a skid to cover what I believe is the DEF injector on the exhaust.
That looks like it would be expensive if it got smashed.
Iā€™m installing these skids tomorrow. Stupid question, but the front engine mount hangers sit flush up against the BOTTOM of the engine mount ledge, then the skid hanger, then the 2 washers and nylon nut from the bottomā€¦ā€¦so essentially the only think holding the front up is itā€™s hanging on that new bolt, right? I want to make sure I got that right since there are t really any directions and your post (while suuuper helpful) didnā€™t show that one detail. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
BDinTX

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m installing these skids tomorrow. Stupid question, but the front engine mount hangers sit flush up against the BOTTOM of the engine mount ledge, then the skid hanger, then the 2 washers and nylon nut from the bottomā€¦ā€¦so essentially the only think holding the front up is itā€™s hanging on that new bolt, right? I want to make sure I got that right since there are t really any directions and your post (while suuuper helpful) didnā€™t show that one detail. Thanks in advance.
hey there, ya I think what youā€™re describing sounds right. But a picture is worth a thousand words soā€¦

This is a view of the passenger side motor mount from underneath looking up. The circled bolt is the new longer one they provided to the rear of the vehicle.
Jeep Wrangler JL Asfir skid install on EcoDiesel 226AA605-8A5F-4700-89D2-37B56C0919EB

This is the hanger for that same side. Notice the circular wear pattern in the red paint from the round threaded bung.
Jeep Wrangler JL Asfir skid install on EcoDiesel F0383AC8-F3CA-4CF6-BD47-C0EB579485CC

So the perfectly round hole in the hanger isnā€™t your bolt hole (at least I donā€™t think it is). THAT round hole goes over the centering post which is visible in the first pic, the red circle I drew in the pic goes over the top of it.

Reactions: DGT

Hercules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hey there, ya I think what youā€™re describing sounds right. But a picture is worth a thousand words soā€¦

This is a view of the passenger side motor mount from underneath looking up. The circled bolt is the new longer one they provided to the rear of the vehicle.
Jeep Wrangler JL Asfir skid install on EcoDiesel F0383AC8-F3CA-4CF6-BD47-C0EB579485CC

This is the hanger for that same side. Notice the circular wear pattern in the red paint from the round threaded bung.

So the perfectly round hole in the hanger isnā€™t your bolt hole (at least I donā€™t think it is). THAT round hole goes over the centering post which is visible in the first pic, the red circle I drew in the pic goes over the top of it.
Perfect. I think that solves it in my head. Iā€™m just weighing whether or not to paint them or leave bare. That and crossing my fingers I donā€™t see what I think is a slow oil leak coming from somewhere above the front side of the oil pan. Some of the thread comments in here about that on our diesels scare me. šŸ˜¬. But regardless, thanks for the extra info/help with the skid instructions

Sponsored

Hercules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
decide to leave then bare. Install went well thanks to the helpful info. Definitely that passenger side engine mount bolt was a pain.
Jeep Wrangler JL Asfir skid install on EcoDiesel B091D6A7-5555-49AB-A498-FEC4A038AA3A
Jeep Wrangler JL Asfir skid install on EcoDiesel D429A98D-DE2D-48BD-BB84-34D7E2309195
Jeep Wrangler JL Asfir skid install on EcoDiesel 50868133-AE9C-4388-8EF5-C2607ABE7E73

Hercules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Jeep Wrangler JL Asfir skid install on EcoDiesel 50868133-AE9C-4388-8EF5-C2607ABE7E73

You recall what you torqued the skid bolts to? The included instructions were a bit dodgy.

OP
OP
BDinTX

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No I donā€™t recall. Pretty sure I didnā€™t use a torque wrench on them.

I do suggest checking them after driving a day or two. Again maybe a week after that.
Sponsored