Sponsored

ASFIR Engine & Transmission Skid Plate Install on a 2020 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon 3.6 L Automatic - Install Video

Jeepster77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I couldn't find an install video for the ASFIR Engine & Transmission Skid Plate Install on a 2020 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon 3.6 L Automatic, so I made one here. Hopefully, someone might find it useful. It's made of ¼" aluminum.

It was $295 with tax and shipping. I'm quite pleased with the coverage and quality for that price point. In addition to the stock transfer case skid plate & stock gas tank skid plate, it makes for reasonable lower end solution. Not nearly as good as some of the fully belly pan systems, but A LOT cheaper!! :)

Sponsored

Last edited:

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
Looks like a good solution for a lightweight skid. I'm sure you will save lots of folks from some frustration due to lack of instructions. I think I am leaning toward another solution....but this seems like a good low cost solution for many.

Bingman

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy’s
Awesome video! Thanks a lot. This was a skid plate option I didn’t know existed! Really appreciate the install and also correction of the original install!

OP
OP

Jeepster77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Awesome video! Thanks a lot. This was a skid plate option I didn’t know existed! Really appreciate the install and also correction of the original install!
Awesome! Glad that you liked it! I will say that the skid plate has performed flawlessly after the fix. I have actually skidded on it a time or two as well. It worked great! Please consider subscribing to the channel if you haven't already. I am trying REALLY hard to get over that critical 1,000 subscriber mark. I will be releasing a few new videos shortly! :) Thank you!

Sponsored

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have been running the Asfir on my 3.6 manual for about 8 months now. It’s pretty stout and taken some big hits with grace.
One thing to note if you have a manual transmission you will have to source the factory “transmission skid plate”.
When I did the installation I placed the brackets on the inside of the plate and inserted the bolts from the outside. This just made more sense to me at the time.
Asfir has outstanding customer service as well fast shipping.

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Well thanks Jeep.
they have redesigned the engine mounts for 2021 and I can’t mount my skid plate I pulled from my 2020.
this sucks.

OP
OP

Jeepster77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Well thanks Jeep.
they have redesigned the engine mounts for 2021 and I can’t mount my skid plate I pulled from my 2020.
this sucks.
Rats! Sorry to hear that, but thanks for the info. That will probably save some others with the manual transmission some trouble.

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Rats! Sorry to hear that, but thanks for the info. That will probably save some others with the manual transmission some trouble.
I contacted ASFIR and they will work on a solution when they get their hands on a 2021.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
@Jeepster77
I posted this on your video comment, but I'll paste it here too, sure hope this works fine for a 2dr :)

Great job! Nice details and camera shots throughout. Looks like a quality plate and for the price seems hard to beat. Glad you corrected the bolt placement after finding that interference issue, well done!

Was wanting an aluminum motor/trans plate for our 2dr JL Sport but the choices are very limited. Many options for 4drs, so I'm a bit concerned that this plate is listed as fitting both the 4dr & 2dr models. As far as I know there must be some difference in the mount points since other skid plate companies have different models for the 2 & the 4dr???

Look forward to more of your videos, and thanks for providing this, I think I'm going to order, just hope it works for the 2door as it states it does :)

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jeepster77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thank you so much for the kind words! I was impressed with the customer service that ASFIR provided and the bang for the buck on the skid plate. It has performed flawlessly after the small fix that I made and showed in the video. Please let us know how it works out if you get one! :) I'm sure that would be valuable info to other 2-door JL Wrangler Sport owners!

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I just installed one of these on my 18 JL 3.6.

I’m super impressed with how sturdy it is. It seems like they’ve changed the design, there is no more flag nut. The clip nuts also go in different locations than their video.

BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, WHY DONT THEY INCLUDE INSTRUCTIONS? It took me maybe an hour to fully install it. If I can give one tip, install everything loosely, then tighten down after.

All in all, I’m really impressed with the skid plate and it covers exactly what I needed without taking away any ground clearance.

image.jpg

image.jpg

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I just installed one of these on my 18 JL 3.6.

I’m super impressed with how sturdy it is. It seems like they’ve changed the design, there is no more flag nut. The clip nuts also go in different locations than their video.

BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, WHY DONT THEY INCLUDE INSTRUCTIONS? It took me maybe an hour to fully install it. If I can give one tip, install everything loosely, then tighten down after.

All in all, I’m really impressed with the skid plate and it covers exactly what I needed without taking away any ground clearance.

image.jpg

image.jpg
Sucks that it mounts on top of the transmission cross member "oem skid". Waste of weight and that stupid hole on the sides gets stuck on every single rock. It would be much better if that thing got removed.

Last edited:

jim00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I am about to order the ASFIR engine skid plate. One thing surprised me. The order screen for ASFIR shows options for 3.6 or a 3.6 + eTorque/Hydraulic motor mounts. I was about to order the 3.6 version since I have a manual (2021s manuals don't have eTorque). But I thought I would double check, and sure enough there are hydraulic motor mounts even though there is no eTorque. Does this make sense? I thought eTorque and hydraulic motor mounts were paired together.

https://www.asfir.com/engine-gear-skid-plate-547460c.html

Here are a few pics of my Jeep.
Jeep Wrangler JL ASFIR Engine & Transmission Skid Plate Install on a 2020 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon 3.6 L Automatic - Install Video IMG_7763
Jeep Wrangler JL ASFIR Engine & Transmission Skid Plate Install on a 2020 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon 3.6 L Automatic - Install Video IMG_7764

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
Mine had the same issue and they shipped me the updated mounts. When ordering, just indicate that you have the hydraulic mounts
Sponsored

Last edited: