• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
First, if you answered the poll above with selection 3, then you might want to review the info below starting with the Allpar info in the second post in the thread;

http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/articulink-in-the-jt-wrangler-pickup.1141/#post-5317

Sorry, I put the cart before the horse, thought it had been discussed previously.

After looking at the recent spy photos in the other thread;
http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...-on-public-roads-shows-spare-tire-mount.1140/

I think I've spotted the Link-Coil hardware (similar to that in the PowerWagon, only mated to a D44 instead of the AAM 11.5) in the rear of the JT mule, the actual Articulink hardware would be in the front. But looks promising.
Although they could just stick with the traditional front axle, but there's been rumours of this in the JT for a while.

Would definitely allow for greater capacities for towing and payload, and if it also gets the air suspension more flexibility for load leveling as well as raising that long box for improved departure angles.

IMG_0284.JPG

IMG_0288.JPG

IMG_0289.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG

IMG_0292.JPG

IMG_0287.JPG

http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...-roads-shows-spare-tire-mount.1140/#post-5315
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Great Grape Ape

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

Limamikemike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Powerwagon
So with a link system like the PW/ram2500 is it gonna axle tramp like one too?

The articulink is technically for the front radius arms so they flex like the rams old four link, it's a band aid.

I don't know much about the JK is it a radius arm set up or four link?

Edit* I guess the JK is a four link, if it's anything like the old Ram set up its much better at flexing than a radius arm set up so definitely no to an articulink. Wonder if the JT will have the anti-hop shock on the diff like the ram 2500/PW.

Last edited:

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
I'm all for it.

For anyone looking for a quick and dirty explanation on Articulink here's a good video

And here's a great demo video of the articulation that's capable with the Articulating suspension. This is why I'm all for it. Talk about keeping as much tire on the ground as possible!

Limamikemike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Powerwagon
Lol dont believe the hype, the four link 05-13 Powerwagons flexed better and scored better on the RTI ramp than the 14-17 articulink trucks.

The articulink was born out of the Necessity that the 14+ ram HD are radius arm front suspension now and don't flex worth s$&t, the radius arms and the axle act like a giant swaybar, great for towing stability not so great for off-road. The articulink allows better flex than would be available if the PW had the regular HD radius arms.

In short I hope the JT has a 4 link, far superior for its intended use.

Sponsored

JCC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like the Ram uses articulink in the front and a four link in the rear, where the JT mule may have articulink in the rear as well? I'm sure I'm still confused about the differences between the two setups but it seems like articulink is a slightly reconfigured four link with added flex joints between the CAs and axle?

Another question, let's say the JT does end up with articulink, how does that impact the aftermarket for lift kits etc.? Would companies be any less likely to build a kit for this setup?

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Great Grape Ape

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's some additional info (I will try to post more tomorrow, today I was watching others ski while nursing my ankle in the bar :beer:).

Sorry, I should've posted more this morning but was getting ready to head to the cabin, thought the Allpar link would help.

Anywhoo... first, no the Articulink wouldn't be be in the rear it would be in the front, the only reason I posted the rear was as reference to a change vs the JK, and one in which we previous had thought articulink was spotted with the same configuration. I also mistakenly thought the PowerWagon rear was different than the standard 2500 rear due to pics in another review I quickly checked before leaving, but their image was simply missing parts.

So seeing the updated rear-end gives me pause / makes me wonder if the front won't also get an update too.
I was hoping that all this would result in clearer photos of the front or at least existing ones without the JL logo.

Anywhoo, essentially the Articulink replaces the upper and lower control arms in the front with a single radius arm attached to the axle (often at the two points the upper and lower would usually connect, but could even alter that design.

Benefits
- A little more stability and predictability, especially under braking with heavy loads.
- Less likely to bump-steer or death wobble (but the cause is really worn out bits for both not design issue per se)
- With more freedom of travel up/down should be smoother at high speed and even at clower speed for things link speed bumps.

Drawbacks
- Slightly less articulation (but still much better than IFS)
- Bushings tend to wear out quicker if you are constantly putting strain on them off-roading*.
(likely last fine for an on-road or dirt/soft-road truck, but wear out quicker if off-roading/crawling alot)
- Large lifts are slightly more complicated, expensive and harder to come by until the aftermarket catches up.

Additional info

Automobile mag's PowerWagon review with a good look at the Articulink and it's placement in the PW.
http://www.automobilemag.com/news/putting-the-power-in-the-2017-ram-2500-power-wagon/

FourWheeler's initial PowerWagon review, with top down look at Articulink;
http://www.fourwheeler.com/vehicle-reviews/1410-2014-ram-power-wagon/

The Truck Trend Article focusing on the 2500's suspension including the 3-link (Articulink) variant, as well as leaf springs (which some of us were worried the JT would get based on the current J8);
http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1306-2014-ram-2500-five-link-coil-rear-suspension/

Allpar PW add-on description with front view of Articulink setup and how swaybar etc attaches;
http://www.allpar.com/trucks/ram/power-wagon/2017-specs.html

View of Entire PW front and rear suspension (Sorry I didn't make it clearer what was visible in the spy shots);

IMG_0286.JPG

View of just the 3 link suspension setup (from a 3500);

IMG_0341.JPG

Also, here is an additional Power Wagon Engineering video from RAM / FCA to add to those above (the Articulink portion is in the first half);

Hope that makes it clearer what this is about.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCC
OP
OP
The Great Grape Ape

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like the Ram uses articulink in the front and a four link in the rear, where the JT mule may have articulink in the rear as well? I'm sure I'm still confused about the differences between the two setups but it seems like articulink is a slightly reconfigured four link with added flex joints between the CAs and axle?
No, I was using the similarities in the rear setup to imply that the JL might end up with a similar front with Articulink.
In the Spy photo thread I was hoping that mention would elicit clearer photos of the front without the JL logo, but looking at other sites that didn't help clarify, just not close enough/right angle to see much in the front. A previous Mule photo (I think the early JT or suspected JL diesel) had a front assembly that looked like Articulink (I'll see if I can find it , it had a red front shock or assembly part IIIC).
It isn't just slightly reconfigured, it's a single radius arm, that replaces/removes the upper control arm and adds an articulating joint at the axle connect points.

Another question, let's say the JT does end up with articulink, how does that impact the aftermarket for lift kits etc.? Would companies be any less likely to build a kit for this setup?
I mentioned that briefly above, essentially the impact would be minimal on small lifts, but large lifts would require a longer radius arm, which would likely not have a lot of after market support initially (there are already Radius conversion kits for Wrangler out there [from folks like Rusty'sOffroad] and it's an alternative configuration not augmenting a stock configuration). However, if sales of the JT were solid enough you'd likely see more kits come along quickly, probably even a Mopar lift kit, and also likely quality improve & prices fall as selections/mfrs increase.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCC

JCC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks for the additional info, especially to someone like me who knows almost nothing about alternative suspension systems from what's been on Wranglers & CJs. Thanks!

OP
OP
The Great Grape Ape

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great Video of Articulink in Action on a Power Wagon, highlighting components. :jk:

Wish there were more of these videos out there for everything because it makes all the text above come alive. :rock:

Sponsored

Eugene the Jeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU in black
I've been in a Ram 2500 with articulink before and it's no gimmick. I was just a passenger but we took my buddy's 2500 on a decently rough trail just to see if it was the real deal. You could tell that the articulink suspension allowed for greater motion from the suspension while keeping the car stable and body roll minimal.

Featuring it on the JT would help distinguish it from its competitors IMO
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.