Sponsored

Articulation & Travel Measurements

Caymanedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
What is the best way to measure compression and drop?
I am trying to increase articulation by reducing bump stops and lengthening/changing shock and shock mount position.

Looking to get shock dimensions with suspension fully compressed and fully drooped on each side.
RTI Ramp?
Forklift Wheel Lift?
Axle Droop w/shocks attached?
Axle Droop w/o shocks attached?
Axle compression w/o springs?
What about the Track Bar?
A’q
Thanks!
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I am trying to increase articulation by reducing bump stops and lengthening/changing shock and shock mount position.

Looking to get shock dimensions with suspension fully compressed and fully drooped on each side.
RTI Ramp?
Forklift Wheel Lift?
A’q
Thanks!
What is your current suspension and wheel/tire setup? Rubicon? Need to know that info as your starting point.

OP
OP
Caymanedge

Caymanedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It is a JLUR but it is lifted, all adjustable arms, air bumps etc.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

RTI Ramp?
Forklift Wheel Lift?
A’q
Thanks!
Axle compression without springs is how I did it. Right or wrong, I’m not sure, I think there’s more than one way to do it.

Take spring out, jack up axle until shock bottoms out, then measure the gap between the bump stop base and the upper bumper. That measurement plus a quarter to half inch more is how much stop you need.

For droop, let the axle back down until it stops. It’s best if you take out axle side track bar and loosen control arms, and keep an eye out for driveshaft hindering droop, depending on how long your shocks are. Once axle stops dropping measure center to center of connecting bolts, that’s your shocks extended length.

Ultimately your shock extended length is the determining factor on how much articulations you’ll have. Bump stops will not affect droop, just up travel.

After a lengthy discussion with @Moto_21 he set me straight on this a while back. I’m not sure I answered your question or not, as I wasn’t sure what exactly you’re asking so if the answer isn’t in all this jibber jabber then disregard this post.....:)

OP
OP
Caymanedge

Caymanedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Thanks is for the input. When I droop the front axle the shock is the limiting factor. With the shock disconnected, axle drops another couple inches. Now that is both sides so not really something that would happen Offroad. It does tell me that longer shock travel would help...I think.

If I raise axle with springs out it doesn’t really replicate articulation because an angled axle would raise one tire more and bring it inward. Make sense? That’s why I was thinking the RTI or forklift method would be betterto take measurements...maybe the outcome is the same. Looking for input here.

I’m looking to add 2” of uptravel and as much downtravel as possible. Balancing them with overall shock travel by relocating the lower shock mount. I just need to now how to effectively measure those limits so I can calculate the shock travel and mounting locations.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks is for the input. When I droop the front axle the shock is the limiting factor. With the shock disconnected, axle drops another couple inches. Now that is both sides so not really something that would happen Offroad. It does tell me that longer shock travel would help...I think.

If I raise axle with springs out it doesn’t really replicate articulation because an angled axle would raise one tire more and bring it inward. Make sense? That’s why I was thinking the RTI or forklift method would be betterto take measurements...maybe the outcome is the same. Looking for input here.

I’m looking to add 2” of uptravel and as much downtravel as possible. Balancing them with overall shock travel by relocating the lower shock mount. I just need to now how to effectively measure those limits so I can calculate the shock travel and mounting locations.
Yes, for me it was longer shocks is what I decided to do because I wasn’t getting the full potential out of my 3.5” triple rate springs with my RRD shocks they extended to 29 ish“
And my springs don’t loosen in the housing until 32 -33 inches. So I got the longest shocks I could without going to coil overs or MC 6 packs. Now I have 31”of extended length and 5” up travel. Not great up travel but it’s a trade off for droop. I could get more up travel with taller springs, but I don’t want to go there. I’m happy with the way I have it now, plenty of articulations for my needs. This old wood ramp really helped out dialing everything in.........
Jeep Wrangler JL Articulation & Travel Measurements 14C7D1EC-7718-4F43-BFEF-064E4B14FDEF

Jeep Wrangler JL Articulation & Travel Measurements B8F8CDC8-9EB8-4259-BFDF-5B512040D58B

Last edited:

WashingtonWetWheeler

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' 6spd JLUR. UD60s & 40s
Yes, for me it was longer shocks is what I decided to do because I wasn’t getting the full potential out of my 3.5” triple rate springs with my RRD shocks they extended to 29 ish“
And my springs don’t loosen in the housing until 32 -33 inches. So I got the longest shocks I could without going to coil overs or MC 6 packs. Now I have 31”of extended length and 5” up travel. Not great up travel but it’s a trade off for droop. I could get more up travel with taller springs, but I don’t want to go there. I’m happy with the way I have it now, plenty of articulations for my needs. This old wood ramp really helped out dialing everything in.........
How did you achieve this? I'm looking at Rock Krawlers 2.5 x-factor and I'm not really interested in running their shocks. They are stating in their instructions the following for shocks:

"Shock Notes:
Generic Front Shock Length – 17.8” Collapsed/ 29.3” Maximum Extended
Generic Rear Shock Length – 18.3” Collapsed/ 30.3” Maximum Extended "

Looking at shock offerings all I'm finding is 10" travel shocks which seems like is going to set me up for being limited drastically in my droop?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
How did you achieve this? I'm looking at Rock Krawlers 2.5 x-factor and I'm not really interested in running their shocks. They are stating in their instructions the following for shocks:

"Shock Notes:
Generic Front Shock Length – 17.8” Collapsed/ 29.3” Maximum Extended
Generic Rear Shock Length – 18.3” Collapsed/ 30.3” Maximum Extended "

Looking at shock offerings all I'm finding is 10" travel shocks which seems like is going to set me up for being limited drastically in my droop?
Hi Andrew,
I’m running fox 2.5 DSC resi shocks for 4.5”- 6“ lift the front has 12.17” of travel and rear have 12.87” travel. There’s several little things to consider and address if you decide to go this route.

I explain everything here in detail with pics....

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/posts/1321789/

OP
OP
Caymanedge

Caymanedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I am also running the RK 2.5 x-factor lift. I am running. 14” Fox up front and a 10” in the rear.
Sponsored