Sponsored

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLUR, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
I never met a journalist that understood mechanics, electronics, or science to any competent level. They are English majors. By the same token, the majority of engineers suck at writing.
Seriously? Have you read the stuff put out by journalists these days? English majors? You give them too much credit. Today they are more bloggers than anything. My wife is constantly giving them heck for pissy grammar, poor spelling and more. (she's a retired administrative assistant and a great person at spelling and sentence structure - she mocks and laughs at almost every "news article" these days)
You give "journalists" too much credit. And those who write about automotive stuff are even less. Go read the crap from motorbisquit and other blogs. What a joke.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
How is a "giant screen" more complexity? It's going to be a better OS, and actually less complicated. Big screen doesn't mean complex.

Don't even think about comparing Tesla. That's such a very different business model, and they aren't built like any traditional vehicle. They are cutting costs because of the scales of economy - sales keep growing, costs keep dropping, and the new technology for the batteries and motors means they can charge a lot less. They have recouped their original startup and R&D costs. It's just not fair to even include Tesla in any discussion about prices and so on.
Even Toyota engineers took a Tesla apart to see "how'd they do that?!". They aren't built like anything else. When you sell the numbers they do and have only a handful of models you can count on fingers, it's cheap per unit to build 'em.
Toyota looks at everybody, not just Tesla.

If there is a better way of doing anything, they want to know about it. And the have the deep pockets to develop the better technique/method in-house.

Tesla is now casting entire vehicle parts instead of welding pieces together like other automakers. This makes their cars significantly stronger, easier to assemble and less likely to develop issues later. But developing those casts is EXTREMELY expensive. It marries Tesla to keep producing the same thing over and over, and will tie its hands when the time comes to redesign its vehicles.

Dusty Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Ply Roadrunner, 2010 Challenger SRT
Seriously? Have you read the stuff put out by journalists these days? English majors? You give them too much credit. Today they are more bloggers than anything. My wife is constantly giving them heck for pissy grammar, poor spelling and more. (she's a retired administrative assistant and a great person at spelling and sentence structure - she mocks and laughs at almost every "news article" these days)
You give "journalists" too much credit. And those who write about automotive stuff are even less. Go read the crap from motorbisquit and other blogs. What a joke.
You are 100% spot on. I did say journalists, but I didn’t say good journalists…:LOL:

BEACHED WHALE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
I think we are getting to the point that Jeep no longer cares about off road capabilities.

They are trying to be a luxury SUV more than a spartan off roader now.
Thats why you need to drive to Teraflex HQ and and do your rig right. From what Ive seen the stock parts are really optimal for a brook or stream and some rocky roads. Anything big those stock parts arent the best.

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
Thats why you need to drive to Teraflex HQ and and do your rig right. From what Ive seen the stock parts are really optimal for a brook or stream and some rocky roads. Anything big those stock parts arent the best.

That's a viable option, but it doesn't change the fact that Jeep is pricing the Wrangler well into BMW / Audi / Mercedes territory and is worried more about adding interior comforts than increasing off road capabilities.

Sponsored

BEACHED WHALE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
That's a viable option, but it doesn't change the fact that Jeep is pricing the Wrangler well into BMW / Audi / Mercedes territory and is worried more about adding interior comforts than increasing off road capabilities.
True. I almost bought an Audi with a sunroof instead. Pricing for sought after Lux items will keep going up with inflation and most likely wont come back down .

TheLast929

First Name
Gibb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 JL Wrangler 4XE and a bunch of non-Jeeps.
With 15 pages of comments, it’s difficult to make a single, or short post.
I’m new to Jeep ownership, but not to the CJDRF family(I currently have 3 Dodges).
And definitely not new to off-roading.
I live in Southern Commiefornia and every 4th or 5th JL(U) around here is a 4xe. I RARELY see a Sahara, most are Rubicons. We have a Willy’s.
I don’t know about “luxury brand”, but considering the number of Teslas and tricked out Jeeps around here money is not an issue. We wanted minimal above bone stock & ended up with a few things we didn’t want. I do wish we had gotten the better u-connect for the options, not the bigger screen!
I saw complaints about capabilities. I’ve already easily done a few things with this 4xe that were more challenging in my old 4x4s.
YES, they are gonna try to pull more people in with some fancy gizmos. It’s just the fancy gizmos now seem crazy compared to to fancy up sell gizmos from the 1900’s(feel old? 🤣)
Luckily ALL of that crap is not forced on every vehicle like some manufacturers do!

BEACHED WHALE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
With 15 pages of comments, it’s difficult to make a single, or short post.
I’m new to Jeep ownership, but not to the CJDRF family(I currently have 3 Dodges).
And definitely not new to off-roading.
I live in Southern Commiefornia and every 4th or 5th JL(U) around here is a 4xe. I RARELY see a Sahara, most are Rubicons. We have a Willy’s.
I don’t know about “luxury brand”, but considering the number of Teslas and tricked out Jeeps around here money is not an issue. We wanted minimal above bone stock & ended up with a few things we didn’t want. I do wish we had gotten the better u-connect for the options, not the bigger screen!
I saw complaints about capabilities. I’ve already easily done a few things with this 4xe that were more challenging in my old 4x4s.
YES, they are gonna try to pull more people in with some fancy gizmos. It’s just the fancy gizmos now seem crazy compared to to fancy up sell gizmos from the 1900’s(feel old? 🤣)
Luckily ALL of that crap is not forced on every vehicle like some manufacturers do!
The 4xe fits well in Carl country...

J. Creeper

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
The dealer will never lay eyes on my Jeep again. Take your Jeep to a reputable Off-Road mechanic. Most of them fix, repair and install what dealership mechanics can’t do, or have installed wrong. Most can order stock parts and aftermarket parts and install and release your vehicle back to you same day or only need it for maximum of 3 days depending on what you are getting done. I have less anxiety when I take my Jeep to my local Off-Road Automotive Shop. My guys know everything there is to know about SUV’s and Trucks.
Brand reliability sucks. No changes.

I’m on month 6 driving my Wrangler that is under recall. My dealer has no idea about replacement part availability.

It’s a joke. I don’t expect to be long with the brand. I would sell soon but of course can’t because of the recall.

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
Getting back to the original post.
Jeep's Deep Problem (too much inventory; people don’t want to buy Jeeps).

I know this is a novel concept, but they could always lower prices.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
People might not be buying them, but rental companies sure are. Not too long ago your choice of a rental Wrangler was either a Sport or a decently-equipped Sahara. Here in Colorado, I'm now seeing tourists everywhere bounce loaded 4xe and Rubicon rentals off curbs and guard rails because they're too busy glancing at their first mountain instead of watching the road.

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
The dealer will never lay eyes on my Jeep again. Take your Jeep to a reputable Off-Road mechanic. Most of them fix, repair and install what dealership mechanics can’t do, or have installed wrong. Most can order stock parts and aftermarket parts and install and release your vehicle back to you same day or only need it for maximum of 3 days depending on what you are getting done. I have less anxiety when I take my Jeep to my local Off-Road Automotive Shop. My guys know everything there is to know about SUV’s and Trucks.
I appreciate this sentiment but for a recall, I'm going the dealer route.

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
I'd take those figures with a grain of salt. Jeep is likely the vehicle most impacted by Covid front running. Getting in a Jeep and driving out to the middle of nowhere was the one of the few things that was perfectly safe to do during the pandemic. If you were inclined to do that and you could, you did. Because there was little else to do. In my area there was a huge increase in the amount of people encountered in the wilderness during the pandemic and many new Jeeps.

Now there are more options for things to do. The incentive to buy a new Jeep now has certainly decreased as a result. Most either already got their Jeep and there is no need to replace it or you were never inclined to get one in the first place. That in itself will cause a reduction of demand now.
Wranglers have been selling like gangbusters for the last 15 years. We're at mid-cycle for the JL line, and some good Jeep-like alternatives are out there as well.

How often to Jeep owners buy a new rig? How many first-time Jeep buyers do you realistically think can be had? Jeep's have always been a niche vehicle (it's a Jeep thing!).

As far as I'm concerned they are on the right track with the refresh and trying to chase the better features of vehicles like the Bronco.

Jeep Wrangler JL Article: Jeep's Deep Problem (too much inventory; people don’t want to buy Jeeps) 1686573856453

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
trying to chase the better features of vehicles like the Bronco.
What better features of vehicles like the Bronco?
I'm not asking this as fan-boi ridicule. I'm serious. What features?

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
What better features of vehicles like the Bronco?
I'm not asking this as fan-boi ridicule. I'm serious. What features?
Larger entertainment system screens, 6-way seats, more towing, etc.
Sponsored