Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
One big reason why Apple sells so many iPhones. Sure, it's a walled garden, but at least you know that 5 years down the road, you are still running the latest SW.
Yeah, that's not why most people buy iPhones. If it was, I wouldn't have to help so many iOS users update their apps & OS.
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Progress for the sake of progress makes little sense.
Mm, not so sure.

Jonas Salk chased "progress" for seven years, culminating in his discovery of the first safe and effective polio vaccine.

If that is an example of doing something for the sake of doing so, may mankind ever continue to strive.

Iā€™m sure Jeep is working on adding a 12-inch screen to the redesigned JL; similar to that now optional on Ram.
I've seen that particular screen in a new Ram. Even in that truck's expansive interior space, a 12" screen looks a bit oversized, and definitely gimmicky (the latter being a matter of opinion, granted.) In a Wrangler, a touchscreen that even approaches 12" would look downright comical.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen that particular screen in a new Ram. Even in that truck's expansive interior space, a 12" screen looks a bit oversized, and definitely gimmicky (the latter being a matter of opinion, granted.)
Agreed. But thereā€™s a screen-size war going on in the auto industry right now. Every automaker feels it needs to offer a bigger screen than the competition.

In Ramā€™s case, I prefer the standard screen with the hard buttons and controls right below.
Jeep Wrangler JL Article: 2022 Wrangler Xtreme Recon Would Beat The 2021 Bronco With A Lift And Bigger Tires 1624989853747

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
FCA and now Stellantis does exactly the same thing with the Wrangler.
Except for the base sport, That's only true for very few options. Painted flares, painted top, 20 inch wheels, lockers, sway bar disconnect, and lower transfer case. And of course now the Xtreme package. Pretty much everything else is offered in some way on all other trim levels.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Ford will also offer OTA updates on their system, similar to Telsa. Without Ford offering something like that, there is literally no way that Jeep would ever do it.
I mean hey! You only paid 60K, why the hell should you expect to get system updates?

It's one thing that the legacy companies really don't understand.
Offering updates to older cars does not mean that you sell less cars. It means that people who buy them end up feeling better about the car they have any not feeling like they are getting the shaft. That in turns helps ensure that they the happy customer buys from them again.
One big reason why Apple sells so many iPhones. Sure, it's a walled garden, but at least you know that 5 years down the road, you are still running the latest SW.

If the Bronco goes 98% of the places a wrangler can go, has the same off road features and mods, plus offers long term updates... no brainer for a lot of people.
My Uconnect has never accepted OTA updates and part of me is glad for two reasons. 1, the last update I got (dealer did the flash) set it right and it no longer has any problems. 2. I don't want anyone on the outside accessing my Jeep digitally without my knowledge. That's the Analog man in me, I guess.

The vehicle I buy for adventures does NOT boil down to the infotainment system. While I like good music, the infotainment I'm looking for is on the outside of the Jeep, in the places it takes me. The only way that would matter is if it were an absolute tie breaker. And after owning some Fords with earlier Sync systems, call me a skeptic to the idea that they somehow have the answer. Meanwhile, my Uconnect 8.4 is functioning perfectly. It took awhile to get there, but it has been there for about a year now. I don't want any updates to screw it up at this point. Any updates I will need will come through Android Auto.

I had as much fun in my $12k YJ as any Jeep. It had no radio, no AC, and soft upper doors with zipper windows. I wish I had never sold it.

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
My Uconnect has never accepted OTA updates and part of me is glad for two reasons. 1, the last update I got (dealer did the flash) set it right and it no longer has any problems. 2. I don't want anyone on the outside accessing my Jeep digitally without my knowledge. That's the Analog man in me, I guess.

The vehicle I buy for adventures does NOT boil down to the infotainment system. While I like good music, the infotainment I'm looking for is on the outside of the Jeep, in the places it takes me. The only way that would matter is if it were an absolute tie breaker. And after owning some Fords with earlier Sync systems, call me a skeptic to the idea that they somehow have the answer. Meanwhile, my Uconnect 8.4 is functioning perfectly. It took awhile to get there, but it has been there for about a year now. I don't want any updates to screw it up at this point. Any updates I will need will come through Android Auto.

I had as much fun in my $12k YJ as any Jeep. It had no radio, no AC, and soft upper doors with zipper windows. I wish I had never sold it.
I hear what you are saying and in large part, I fully agree with you. However, jump on the infotainment section. There is endless bitching about lack of updates. So, it is something which is important to a lot of people.
Consider this.
Many people, like myself will drive their Jeep for at least 10 years.
I personally hate the navigation system on my 8.4 and so I use Android auto.
What if after 4 years google and apple change things up and it's no longer compatible with our old tired-ass version? Meanwhile, you see that Ford is rolling out an update to their 5 year old model.
Sure, you could spend a few grand upgrading your system.. but why should you have to? It costs them almost nothing to roll out an update.
There is no certification needed.
From the purely practical side, it does also impact resale value.
Up until now, Jeep has had literally no competition, so resale is basically one of the best in the entire country, unless you count classics or exotics.
Of course, I live in Europe, which will NEVER see the Bronco, so either way Jeep will not update our software.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I donā€™t know what OTAs has to do with anything.
If you ordered the am/fm radio system, likely to you infotainment is not important.
For other people who spend a lot of time in their Jeep as a daily driver, a good infotainment system is important to them.
Is it the most important?
Of course not. Otherwise none of us would get a Jeep.
But, I think that if you are cross shopping between a Wrangler and a Bronco it could, for many, be the deciding factor considering how close they are in almost all areas.

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
Wranglerā€™s interior looks and feels more iconic and has more character. Broncoā€™s looks more ā€œmodernā€ and more generic.

Iā€™m sure Jeep is working on adding a 12-inch screen to the redesigned JL; similar to that now optional on Ram. It will add wow factor, no doubt, but it will come at the expense of the current interiorā€™s iconic look and feel.
The JL interior, to me, is a mess. Each bank of controls seems to have it's own style. I'm not looking for a 12" screen, but I'm hoping the refresh brings a more homogeneous look to the dash.

I don't see the JL interior as iconic. It's a modern interior, and that's okay. If you want iconic, I think you need to look to the YJ or CJ, but who wants that today? Wouldn't work with modern tech.

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
I love the interior of my ā€˜20 Rubi. It has every conceivable creature comfort I can think of and all very nicely laid out. The Uconnect larger screen is fantastic, crystal clear along with the Alpine system which sounds incredible. Iā€™ve never been a fan of Fords interiors generally speaking.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I don't see the JL interior as iconic. It's a modern interior, and that's okay.

If you want iconic, I think you need to look to the YJ or CJ, but who wants that today? Wouldn't work with modern tech.
I'd accept a freshened version of my YJ's dashboard every day of the week, and twice on Sunday. Give me real gauges, not a small screen and stinking scroll button.

That the foregoing might be incompatible with modern driver aid encumbrances is a feature, not a bug. I don't want "tech", but I know that battle has long since been won by regulators and consumer purchasing trends.
Sponsored