Sponsored

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Wagoneer 3 series, 2022 Rubicon 392
Building up your Jeep yourself is half the fun of owning it. I really see this targeting people who lease their vehicles.
Although they should give you the option of steel wheels and different gear ratios from the factory on all models. I could be wrong but I don’t see many hardcore off-roaders running a factory style lift.

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
Please come to the 4xe
Please come to the 4xe
Please come to the 4xe…
Not a chance with the drop in range in full electric mode. The range is already bad enough and from what I've read from others, it gets noticeably worse as tire size and lifts increase.

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
Building up your Jeep yourself is half the fun of owning it. I really see this targeting people who lease their vehicles.
Although they should give you the option of steel wheels and different gear ratios from the factory on all models. I could be wrong but I don’t see many hardcore off-roaders running a factory style lift.
Oh please, 35s are becoming the new standard. You probably said the same thing when they announced 33s on the rubicon.

Sponsored

wranglerbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Not a chance with the drop in range in full electric mode. The range is already bad enough and from what I've read from others, it gets noticeably worse as tire size and lifts increase.
Why wouldn’t Jeep do this for the 4XE? They already offer a mopar lift kit for it. And the range is great out of the factory, especially in hybrid mode. 35s would make a slight impact. Hope they do it.

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
Why wouldn’t Jeep do this for the 4XE? They already offer a mopar lift kit for it. And the range is great out of the factory, especially in hybrid mode. 35s would make a slight impact. Hope they do it.
21 miles of electric range is not great. What are people getting on 35s, 16 miles?

hazards280

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JLUR 392 - Sarge Green
I'll be keeping an eye out for reports on Friday. I'd like to see if they'll allow the package to fitted to diesels.

wranglerbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
21 miles of electric range is not great. What are people getting on 35s, 16 miles?
Sorry dude, but it’s awesome. 21 full electric mode for a box on wheels around town. You rarely fill up. 28 electric miles in hybrid mode. Averaging 30+ when in hybrid plus manual mode on the hwy. Don’t believe everything you read.

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
To all the people complaining about the name- Xtreme or extreme recon, whatever it is- I completely agree. Super lame name.

As someone who has actually done reconnaissance in many different environments, in many different climates, in many different vehicle types- some wheeled, some tracked, for hours, days, or weeks at a time, I can testify that it is not extreme. If you’re doing reconnaissance “extremely,” you’re doing it wrong. The goal is for recon to NOT be extreme. Except when you use your radio to call some extreme indirect fire on someone.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again... Jeep missed a golden opportunity to make the 4xE the Recon jeep, where silent electric mode would be “Recon Stealth Mode” or some shit. THAT actually makes sense and plays on the jeep’s military heritage.

Canyonero02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green JLUR
Us Jeep owners should be grateful that Ford brought back the Bronco. It puts pressure on Jeep to stay innovative. If the Bronco were available to the masses this summer I would be on the fence. I think they've done a good job with it. That being said I just traded a 2016 JKU for a 2021 Rubicon. I think the interior is better, at least in Rubicon trim. I have a 2019 F150 XLT Sport and the interior materials in the Rubicon are much nicer.

Everyone here always rags on the IFS in the Bronco as well. I'm more of an SFA guy but for 90% of JL owners, IFS is probably the better option. It definitely doesn't flex like a Rubicon. But most of us daily drive these things and just cruise around easier to intermediate trails. At least it looks like Ford used fairly long A-arms so that helps. It's a good time to be alive if you're into offroaders.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Here you go. That 40.4 is likely a reference to the Xtreme Recon Package’s approach and departure angles. This is a (unverified leak) package that is to be announced for the 2022 model year.

The 2022 Jeep Wrangler Xtreme Recon Package Would Beat The New Ford Bronco With Bigger Tires And A Lift
Jeep may have an answer for Ford's best-in-class claims.

21e9a1803fe3c8d9b43ba353d201bce2.jpg

Photo: Jeep

Jeep is watching the fanfare over the Ford Bronco and, at least according to a now-deleted post on the Overland Expo home page, the Auburn Hills team appears ready to answer some of the Bronco’s best-in-class off-road claims with an Xtreme Recon Package for the Wrangler and Wrangler 392.

That now-deleted article details how the new package beats the Bronco on paper. Equip a Wrangler with the new Xtreme Recon Package and the goodies you get are very similar to the Bronco’s Sasquatch Package, from Overland Expo:

These improvements put the Wrangler ahead of the Bronco with a 47.1-degree approach and 40.4 departure angles. Other improved numbers are ground clearance at 12.9 inches and water fording depth at 33.6 inches.

The timing is perfect, with Broncos finally hitting dealership floors. With the Sasquatch Package, you get 35-inch tires, beadlock-capable wheels, front and rear locking differentials, a 4.7 final drive ratio and more. It’s a nice upgrade that allows the two-door Bronco to enjoy a 37.2-degree departure angle, 29-degree breakover angle and 43.2-degree approach angle. The four-door’s numbers are similar with the same approach angle, 26.3-degree breakover and 37.0-degree departure.

Photo: Ford

Of course, since this article is deleted you have to ask how legitimate it is. Perhaps an embargo was accidentally broken and the article was deleted in hopes that nobody would see it. But, head over to Jeep’s Instagram you’ll find two cryptic posts that seem to refer to the Xtreme Recon Package’s approach and departure angles:

I’ve reached out to Jeep to confirm the validity of Xtreme Recon Package. I will update if I hear back.

This arms race of improving numbers on paper with lifts and tires is a bit silly, but I’m here for it, even the package names are comical and it seems like Ford and Jeep are trying to out-bro eachother. Xtreme Recon sounds a videogame or set of action figures from the 90s. At least the trucks are cool.
I believe vast majority of Rubicon owners are like me: they prefer to stay stock and not off road. Probably 80 to 90% of us Rubicon owners fall in that category (including me). We like the bigger factory tires and the look of the steel bumper. That is about it at least in my case.

This Xtreme package maybe good for the remaining 10%. I wonder if FCA may put something out there for the 90%? Maybe something like Heated LED lamps from the factory or a red leather option or cooled & heated seats/steering or wireless apple carplay/android auto will be nice? Heated seats is the only option right now. Pretty sure they can add a cool seats option also if they can add heated seats.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Ford is ruining Jeep's long term product plan for the Wrangler.

The plan was 32" tires in the 2008 JK Rubicon, 33" in 2018 on the JL Rubicon, 34" in 2028 for the JM Rubicon and 35" in 2038 JN Rubicon.

Ford forced them to pull forward the 35" tires by 2 decades. Bummer for Jeep

Good for us. :)

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Ford is being way smarter about this that Jeep.
They know there are loads of people who want all the offroad focused features without being forced to into a higher trim level.
Years ago, Jeep used to let you spec a base Wrangler with more or less any option you wanted.
I hope that Ford allowing buyers to get the sasquatch package on any trim level forces Jeep to act in kind.
Sponsored