First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Tech
Still think this is a hint at the green peace folks towards the EPA average fuel milage. Especially after the 47.4 post.

As for Jeep competing with Ford or vice versa that remains to be seen. But I do know I'd take a 3.5 Ecoboost over a 392 any day.
I don't think so. This has already been confirmed as a reference to approach and departure angles. Besides, doesn't make much since to announce a greener Wrangler following the recent release of the 4xE.

Just my .02cents
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I get that people think this package will be expensive. And you may very well be correct.

But the fact remains that the Sasquatch package offers much of the same content and costs $2.5k. Jeep will have to contend with that reality, especially since the Bronco is exciting and new.
Well, Jeep is paying the difference in price between the regular wheels and the beadlock wheels, the 33" tires and the 35" tires, etc etc. So, just adding up the retail costs of stuff isn't really going to give you an accurate idea of what it is costing Jeep to make it available. Plus they'll get OEM pricing on everything.

If it costs much more than the Sasquatch package, not much point releasing it.

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
The wheels alone are almost $2k retail...
I’m assuming that the cost to Jeep to spec one set of 5 wheels vs a different set of 5 wheels is a couple hundred dollars at most. Ditto with manufacturing springs that are 2” longer, etc. My local Jeep shop literally throws 3 brand new stock Wrangler suspensions in the dumpster every week and replaces them with new components that look more or less the same. (I know I am simplifying this for the sake of argument)

The new parts don’t have to be dramatically better or new materials, just bigger, which is a pretty incremental cost. And the factory doesn’t have to invest a lot of r&d or eat the cost of throwing away the smaller ones, they’ll just order fewer.

Tires are the best example. What does it cost you to put a brand new set of 35s on a new Jeep? About $1400. What does it cost Jeep to spec 35 vs 33? About $100.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep better give us some interior improvements to compete with the Bronco. Like U connect 5, better seats, a dash that doesn't look a five year old designed etc..
JL is due for a redesign in the second half of 2022. My guess we will see a 12-inch screen option, UConnect 5, 360Âș cameras, and a bunch of other stuff off-roaders couldn’t care less about.

My hope is we will see 35-inch tire options more widely available throughout the Wrangler lineup, an eTorque generator that can power an onboard air option, and a bunch of other off-road/overlanding/camping tools —all from the factory.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
JL is due for a redesign in the second half of 2022. My guess we will see a 12-inch screen option, UConnect 5, 360Âș cameras, and a bunch of other stuff off-roaders couldn’t care less about.

My hope is we will see 35-inch tire options more widely available throughout the Wrangler lineup, an eTorque generator that can power an onboard air option, and a bunch of other off-road/overlanding/camping tools —all from the factory.
FWIW: there's a member on the forums powering an ARB twin compressor & refrigerator directly from the eTorque 48V battery. Not factory, but still interesting.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW: there's a member on the forums powering an ARB twin compressor & refrigerator directly from the eTorque 48V battery. Not factory, but still interesting.
Ford has been marketing the ability to power tools with their hybrid trucks for several years. FCA hasn’t marketed one single thing with eTorque.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
FIFY. Bronco vanished in 1996. Rumors of it's return happened many times before something actually happened. Not a single one has yet to be delivered to a retail customer that I know of.

These packages are getting crazy. What happened to built, not bought?
The amount of effort Ford put behind Bronco is commendable.

But it is a bit like when Honda launched NSX or Nissan GT-R: as great efforts as those cars were, it took Porsche, Ferrari and others a fraction of the time and effort to respond. Neither NSX nor GT-R were updated very much in the 10 remaining years of production.

After all the work Ford has put behind this thing, I don’t see them touching it again for a long while. In the meantime, Jeep is just getting warmed up with 392, and now this Xtreme Rubicon. With the JL redesign due next year, Jeep can go as mild or wild as it wants.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I’m assuming that the cost to Jeep to spec one set of 5 wheels vs a different set of 5 wheels is a couple hundred dollars at most. Ditto with manufacturing springs that are 2” longer, etc. My local Jeep shop literally throws 3 brand new stock Wrangler suspensions in the dumpster every week and replaces them with new components that look more or less the same. (I know I am simplifying this for the sake of argument)

The new parts don’t have to be dramatically better or new materials, just bigger, which is a pretty incremental cost. And the factory doesn’t have to invest a lot of r&d or eat the cost of throwing away the smaller ones, they’ll just order fewer.

Tires are the best example. What does it cost you to put a brand new set of 35s on a new Jeep? About $1400. What does it cost Jeep to spec 35 vs 33? About $100.
That's why I said retail. For Jeep, it's literally zero cost to install 4.10s or 5.13s in a D44. Would they let you have that free? Nope. They could easily offer a 2 inch lift, 4.88s, and 35s on stock wheels for an upcharge of like $120 if they didn't want the profit.

Sponsored

T Town

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
I get that people think this package will be expensive. And you may very well be correct.

But the fact remains that the Sasquatch package offers much of the same content and costs $2.5k. Jeep will have to contend with that reality, especially since the Bronco is exciting and new.
Depends if you do a base Sasquatch or a higher trim.
The base is something around $5,000 because it includes two upgraded diffs and a regear in addition to wheels and tires. Do it to a Badlands and it’s $2,500 or so.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
BTW, this year Toyota started offering a 2-inch lift as a factory option on Tacomas. Toyota’s safety nannies were known to go haywire with some of the aftermarket lifts kits, which frustrated Tacoma owners who wanted to lift their truck.

In any event, there’s no good reason Jeep couldn’t do the same.

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray
Extreme recon? I'm embarrassed for Jeep if that's the best they could come up with. Sounds so gimmicky, juvenile, and cheap.
^^^^ this ^^^^
The only thing that could make this worse is if they spelled it “Xtreme”

Come on Jeep... you don’t have any creative people working there? Give it a cool name, like “Sasquatch Edition” At least Ford put some creativity into it.