Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Friday May 18th the wife and I loaded up the JLRubicon with all our stuff and pointed West towards Utah. Our game plan was to hit up Moab in the JL and not rely on a truck and trailer to get us there. I have a well built TJ that will do any trail you ask of it but we have been looking for more than just a wheelin style vacation. That's where the JL comes in.

I couldn't be more impressed with the Jeep right out of the box. We wanted some more space inside and a little more comfort when we were out and about. The JL provided a bunch of room inside versus the TJ and quite a bit of comfort. For the moment... my JL is bone stock. I knew I would need to keep that fact in mind if we were breaking the cardinal rule of exploration by going at it alone. A week before we were to set out for the trails I made up my mind I would need a bit more confidence than the stock JL would provide so I started researching a winch. I decided easily on the Warn Zeon 10's. I topped it off with a Factor 55 Pro Link but there are a bunch of different options on winch plates.

I scoured youtube for videos and found quite a few designs I didn't like. Then I rolled across Artec. I use some of their products on my TJ and their winch plate design lead me to drink the Artec water. I called them up and asked them to expedite delivery and I got a nice new brilliant winch plate a few days later. Install was simple. They put in their homework. Unlike the other designs that bolt together this is all one solid piece and the way they tie into the frame makes install a breeze.

I got the stock bumper out of the way. The 2 bolts on the side allow you to hold the winch plate in place which is really nice when you put the winch on it. That small little detail really helped me install the winch by myself. I used a couple of zip ties to hold the plate towards the frame since the bolts on the bumper are what snug it up on final install.

3install.jpg

I'd guess doing it by myself took 1.5 hours. The hardest part is routing the wires. The winch fits perfectly in place.

2install.jpg

We hopped in the Jeep and drove from Wichita to Utah taking our time and having fun. Drove the million dollar highway, ate some legit pizza in Silverton, drove the South way into Moab and just had a fun time getting to the trails.

First day we hit LaSal pass and Geyser pass. First time experiencing snow balls. In Kansas we get snow flakes. In the mountains you get snow balls.

6LaSal.jpg

Day 2 we ran all of Elephant Hill and hiked Joint Trail and went out to see the confluence overlook.

7ElephantHill.jpg

Day 3 we ran White Rim to the Shafer switch backs, down Potash rd and out long canyon.

5LongCanyon.jpg

Day 4 we had a big change of plans because we heard some of the mountain passes were opened up. So we packed up our stuff, left Moab and headed back to Ouray, Co.

Day 5 we hit Engineer pass through Lake City and then on to Cinnamon pass.

4AlpineLoop.jpg

8CP.jpg

What are my overall thoughts?

I really like the JL. I mean... really really like it. I used my lockers 3 times over our trip and that was more of a convenience thing. We didn't wheel the hardest trails known to man but we really enjoyed our trip and the fun side of off road. I didn't pull winch cable once but I'm more thinking it is better to have it and not need it versus need it and not have it. I've been wheelin for almost 20 years. This is the first trip I've gone on that I wasn't ready to be done exploring. A bunch of that is down to the JL.

:)
Sponsored

Brian_18JLUR

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JK, Jeep Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
Did everything come powder coated? I've been eyeing this for a few weeks myself!

OP
OP
DOOKEY

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Did everything come powder coated? I've been eyeing this for a few weeks myself!
The production models come powder coated so you won't have to do anything to it. It is a stupid nice feature. I asked for a plate before the release date and they were kind enough to send me one in bare steel to meet my trip deadline. So I shot some paint at it. I would have rather had it with powder coat. Better durability and no wait time to install. For the price tag of the plate plus powder it is a great bargain. I also painted the front fairlead cover black.

Brian_18JLUR

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JK, Jeep Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like my fairlead cover powder black for sure with the plate too. Looks killer!!!

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
That looks like an extremely fun trip. I am envious!:)

OP
OP
DOOKEY

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)