Artec OEM Fender Hardware Question

Jazzicon

First Name
Jasmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Extreme Recon, 2021 Toyota
I ordered the Artec Industries OEM replacement fender hardware kit. Below is what I received.

Sooooo….do the button heads and washers eliminate any type of clip. I could have sworn I saw a video where black clips were used that the button heads screwed through into the rivnuts.
Jeep Wrangler JL Artec OEM Fender Hardware Question 3E5803AB-961B-4000-82D4-72BCA68EA8A9

Jeep Wrangler JL Artec OEM Fender Hardware Question 674C8EBA-9D70-465D-B308-7B1A92961676
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I believe that you remove the clips and install a rivnut in each location. Then the fender is attached with the button heads/washers screwed into each rivnut.

I think that maybe you’re thinking of rhe AAL fender retention hardware which costs a bit more, but it works and looks a lot better IMO. It secures them much better than the OEM clips.

https://americanadventurelab.com/product/jeep-jl-fender-retention-hardware/

OP
OP
Jazzicon

Jazzicon

First Name
Jasmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe that you remove the clips and install a rivnut in each location. Then the fender is attached with the button heads/washers screwed into each rivnut.

I think that maybe you’re thinking of rhe AAL fender retention hardware which costs a bit more, but it works and looks a lot better IMO. It secures them much better than the OEM clips.

https://americanadventurelab.com/product/jeep-jl-fender-retention-hardware/
Yep, you are correct. I was thinking AAL….but ordered Artec 😂.

OP
OP
Jazzicon

Jazzicon

First Name
Jasmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wish the rivnuts fit the fender holes without having to drill them out….but they should do what I need them to do.

Jeep Wrangler JL Artec OEM Fender Hardware Question 4D52B56F-3B5E-4F9A-A829-1F1A8515D543

thx138

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU '17 GTI
Occupation
IT
So what is the advantage of this other than not breaking the stock clips?

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I wish the rivnuts fit the fender holes without having to drill them out….but they should do what I need them to do.

Jeep Wrangler JL Artec OEM Fender Hardware Question 4D52B56F-3B5E-4F9A-A829-1F1A8515D543
Just get the AAL ones. I was very surprised at how well they work. The black plastic clips actually have a ton more clamping force than the OEM clips or a bolt and washer. Also the black zinc bolts look better than the standard ones. I considered the Artec ones but I’m glad I went with AAL.

They are very easy to attach and detach without breaking the clips and clamp the fender on much stronger than the OEM clips.

OP
OP
Jazzicon

Jazzicon

First Name
Jasmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just get the AAL ones. I was very surprised at how well they work. The black plastic clips actually have a ton more clamping force than the OEM clips or a bolt and washer. Also the black zinc bolts look better than the standard ones. I considered the Artec ones but I’m glad I went with AAL.

They are very easy to attach and detach without breaking the clips and clamp the fender on much stronger than the OEM clips.
Too late for me to go back now. Already drilled out the fender holes.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I broke probably half of my stock clips when I (too roughly) installed my AAL fenders so I dig this, but it looks like a lot of work. My fenders are pretty floppy right now..

OP
OP
Jazzicon

Jazzicon

First Name
Jasmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I broke probably half of my stock clips when I (too roughly) installed my AAL fenders so I dig this, but it looks like a lot of work. My fenders are pretty floppy right now..
It’s tedious, and honestly would say get the AAL replacement hardware so you don’t have to drill. The Artec are fine and what I had….but it was a lot of drilling.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Do you know if Artec or AAL liners work with the OEM fenders without chopping?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jazzicon

Jazzicon

First Name
Jasmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t see why the liners wouldn’t work. Just an FYI….the rear Artec liner shares one mounting point with the fender, so a button head will be used in that location.
I’m sure @Chocolate Thunder can provide more info on the AAL liners.

From what I have read so far, the AAL seem like the better option.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I have the Artec liners, they fit on OEM no problem (well fronts for sure, haven't installed rears yet, but they're supposed to fit with no issues). You will lose coverage under the actual fender though. Just an FYI.

KNN

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport Diesel
I just ordered 20 of those white factory clips from QT. I’m not planning to chop my fender when I install a new set of color matched fenders I got off a Rubicon.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I don’t see why the liners wouldn’t work. Just an FYI….the rear Artec liner shares one mounting point with the fender, so a button head will be used in that location.
I’m sure @Chocolate Thunder can provide more info on the AAL liners.

From what I have read so far, the AAL seem like the better option.
I wish I could be a definitive answer but I don’t remember. I was very iffy about chopping the fenders. Once I did it though, I think they look amazing and that it’s how they should be from the factory for both aesthetic reasons as well as practicality off-roading.

As far as the AAL hardware, it’s a bit expensive ($40 front/$52 rear) but it’s top notch. I didn’t think the plastic clips fastened with the bolts into rivnuts would have as much clamping force to hold the fenders as they do. They are as long as the OEM clips but are sturdier and apply clamping force along their entire length not just near the bolt. They attach much more securely than the stock white clips do. The rivnuts are a PITA without the rivnut tool. It can be done, but it requires a touch and can be easily screwed up ruining the rivnut and the hole. It’s worth buying the tool and if I ever have to attach them again that’s what I’ll do rather than using the DIY impact/nuts/washers method.

Jeep Wrangler JL Artec OEM Fender Hardware Question A9CD4722-8718-4CBD-907E-BC4DEC555FB4

Jeep Wrangler JL Artec OEM Fender Hardware Question 822F8200-DDFB-467D-98F9-71FFF98E1EB9

Jeep Wrangler JL Artec OEM Fender Hardware Question 1B2188F3-2325-4191-BE2D-AEDA3E4337B1

Yes, I know the signal light fastener on the fender is the wrong color blue. I have since gotten the right color match paint and it looks fine.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

@Chocolate Thunder - how hard are they to get to in order to loosen it tighten?
Sponsored