MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Been considering putting on those weld on LCA skids and curious if anyone has done it. Did you do it yourself? Any issues? Any pics would be great!

Seems to be a decent route, they are cheap and super thick. Figure it’ll be a good way to protect the ears on the controls that hand down and get hit.

Im a DIY welder and only have a flex core welder machine. But this isn’t structural per say….just has to stay put really. Am I crazy? Should I just order a set of bolt-ons?
Sponsored

OP
OP
MadDog27

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I’ll stick with the bolt ons or find a pro to weld it on.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Maybe I’ll stick with the bolt ons or find a pro to weld it on.
Welder it up man. I agree they are "structural" but they aren't structural in the sense that if they fail you're fubar'd. This is one of those great learning exercises that you shouldn't hesitate to do on your own. Just remove the control arm from the bracket before you weld. :)

OP
OP
MadDog27

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Welder it up man. I agree they are "structural" but they aren't structural in the sense that if they fail you're fubar'd. This is one of those great learning exercises that you shouldn't hesitate to do on your own. Just remove the control arm from the bracket before you weld. :)
Yeah, I’m still on the fence but as you said, I’ve enjoyed welding and also enjoy learning. I figure this would be something that wouldn’t harm or really cause any issues if it wasn’t done perfectly. I think I may pull the trigger and give it a shot.

Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Yeah, I’m still on the fence but as you said, I’ve enjoyed welding and also enjoy learning. I figure this would be something that wouldn’t harm or really cause any issues if it wasn’t done perfectly. I think I may pull the trigger and give it a shot.
Congratulations. One of my greatest enjoyments has been learning and doing for myself. If you get hung up there is a Miller 211 in my garage.

OP
OP
MadDog27

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations. One of my greatest enjoyments has been learning and doing for myself. If you get hung up there is a Miller 211 in my garage.
Lol, thanks and that’s awesome. I’ll be sure to keep that in mind if I run into issues.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Been considering putting on those weld on LCA skids and curious if anyone has done it. Did you do it yourself? Any issues? Any pics would be great!

Seems to be a decent route, they are cheap and super thick. Figure it’ll be a good way to protect the ears on the controls that hand down and get hit.

Im a DIY welder and only have a flex core welder machine. But this isn’t structural per say….just has to stay put really. Am I crazy? Should I just order a set of bolt-ons?
I have them installed and they are worth it. Had mine installed, since I don't weld, for $40 by a local fab shop. They were installed right before going on the Rubicon and I'm very glad I did. Both of the LCA skids took some hits and it was comforting knowing my mounts were getting trashed.

Jeep Wrangler JL Artec LCA weld-on skids IMG_0989

Jeep Wrangler JL Artec LCA weld-on skids IMG_1104

Jeep Wrangler JL Artec LCA weld-on skids IMG_1107

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Personally, I’d not think twice about having someone else weld it up. Having just changed my LCAs, it makes me wonder how much harder any LCA adjustments will be with the skid in the way.

Also, there’s not a ton of room in the bracket. You may want to put a piece of stock in the bracket that’s the same size as the LCA just in case there is some warping from the heat.

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Personally, I’d not think twice about having someone else weld it up. Having just changed my LCAs, it makes me wonder how much harder any LCA adjustments will be with the skid in the way.

Also, there’s not a ton of room in the bracket. You may want to put a piece of stock in the bracket that’s the same size as the LCA just in case there is some warping from the heat.
The skids don't make adjustments any harder. My LCA's were bolted in while they were welded in. He made a lot of small welds, jumping around to different areas to keep from too much heat building up.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I had mine installed when I did the trusses/re-gearing/axles. Stiffens the LCA mounts and gives a lot of protection. Definitely worth the price of admission.
Sponsored