Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone try this on the 2021 3.6 yet? Previous version would not work.

Those of you that have installed it, is the aluminum worth the premium? I am torn, in the the aluminum skids have gauged and not been as slick on the rocks as my steel skids... Not sure if the 100 pound savings is worth it. Might be better for me to lose the 50 pounds of fat I am currently carrying, lol.
I like the aluminum myself, but I'm not a hard core rock crawler I just trail ride here n there. Next Venture Motorsports recently came out with the same type of skid plate. They also offer bolt on slider plates that will slide across rocks while also protecting the skid plates. I love NVM's diff covers and diff skid plates but their full under skid plate doesn't have the cuts in them that Artec does. I prefer the cuts to let water out. The NVM skid plate is a solid sheet which is possibly better to slide across the rocks. Decision is up to you as to which might work better for your off-road needs.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I like the aluminum myself, but I'm not a hard core rock crawler I just trail ride here n there. Next Venture Motorsports recently came out with the same type of skid plate. They also offer bolt on slider plates that will slide across rocks while also protecting the skid plates. I love NVM's diff covers and diff skid plates but their full under skid plate doesn't have the cuts in them that Artec does. I prefer the cuts to let water out. The NVM skid plate is a solid sheet which is possibly better to slide across the rocks. Decision is up to you as to which might work better for your off-road needs.
I have been looking at the NVM skids as they are the first to have the 2021 3.6L specific one. 2k plus $600 to slide really takes it above the steel plate price.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
For those that have actually purchased and installed the Artec set, did any of you consider Rock Hard’s? Their aluminum set comes with a black coat on them but even after emailing them, they could not tell me what the net weight change would be.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
For those that have actually purchased and installed the Artec set, did any of you consider Rock Hard’s? Their aluminum set comes with a black coat on them but even after emailing them, they could not tell me what the net weight change would be.
I was going to purchase RockHard but found a deal too good to pass on Artec so I got them. I did a lot of researching on both. You can’t go wrong with either one. I like the Artec fasteners. I like that it’s a little lighter. RockHard has a more rugged industrial look, Artec is more “graceful” looking IMO. Artec’s oil drain opening could be a little better positioned or larger, when the last of the oil drains out and it slows to a drip the oil misses the hole and the skid catches it.

Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

I was going to purchase RockHard but found a deal too good to pass on Artec so I got them. I did a lot of researching on both. You can’t go wrong with either one. I like the Artec fasteners. I like that it’s a little lighter. RockHard has a more rugged industrial look, Artec is more “graceful” looking IMO. Artec’s oil drain opening could be a little better positioned or larger, when the last of the oil drains out and it slows to a drip the oil misses the hole and the skid catches it.
I believe the Rockhard does not replace the gas tank skid and therefore, is heavier. I am leaning towards the Artec. They are supposed to have the new 2021 3.6l version out soon.

Any good places to get the Artec at a discount?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I believe the Rockhard does not replace the gas tank skid and therefore, is heavier. I am leaning towards the Artec. They are supposed to have the new 2021 3.6l version out soon.

Any good places to get the Artec at a discount?
I bought mine from a member in the marketplace.

rikity

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I've met Nate from Artec before, they bought a Ram 3500 a few years ago before they moved from Arizona. You can reach him directly on their Facebook page if anyone wants additional info on 21 fitment etc. I have the skid on my JL, I didnt install it, did notice that there was very little clearance on one of the exhaust pipes too. Its hit a couple of boulders since install and is holding up well for me

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I got mine when they were running a promotion on Northridge 4x4, so I got a Northridge giftcard back. That was 'like' cash anyways since I wanted to buy more things haha.

_thewick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Anybody put these on a sport with stock suspension?

On Arctec's product page they suggest a 1.5"+ lift. I emailed them about it and the response was this: " The reason for the 1.5" lift kit is required is due to if you hit a bump large enough when the suspension is up traveling the differential will come up and slam into the engine skid plate mounting bracket when at stock height with 1.5" it will clear the bracket."

I'm not sure I understand this... all the pictures they have under jeeps it looks like both diffs are not really new the skids plates. I'm wondering if this is a non issue.

Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Anybody put these on a sport with stock suspension?

On Arctec's product page they suggest a 1.5"+ lift. I emailed them about it and the response was this: " The reason for the 1.5" lift kit is required is due to if you hit a bump large enough when the suspension is up traveling the differential will come up and slam into the engine skid plate mounting bracket when at stock height with 1.5" it will clear the bracket."

I'm not sure I understand this... all the pictures they have under jeeps it looks like both diffs are not really new the skids plates. I'm wondering if this is a non issue.
I am sure this is from experience or they would not put the warning on there.

Go4Low

First Name
Jorel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Update on the reason why my exhaust loops were not fitting.

The pipe was previously hit/deformed.

Other folks may be experiencing fitment issues because of this as well, especially if you were wheeling your vehicle before you install the ARTEC belly pan.

Solution: Installed another crossover pipe and all is well.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

I got tired of waiting for them to get the engine mounts for the 2021 worked out. They have been telling me 3 more weeks since Christmas. Ordered the MetalCloak skid and can always change it out later.

TXN8V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR/2012 Raptor
For those who have been running the Artec belly pan for awhile have you had any issues with mud/water loading up in/on the pan? My wife is not afraid to drive over/through anything. This causes quite a bit of mud buildup under the Jeep. Just curious if the belly pan will make the situation better or worse.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
For those who have been running the Artec belly pan for awhile have you had any issues with mud/water loading up in/on the pan? My wife is not afraid to drive over/through anything. This causes quite a bit of mud buildup under the Jeep. Just curious if the belly pan will make the situation better or worse.
Plenty of well placed drain holes in them, no issues whatsoever with water. As for mud, guess that depends on how sticky/chunky it is. If it's thick enough to clog up the drain holes, I'm sure you'll have issues with mud collecting on them. Just the nature of belly pan skids vs. the minimalistic OEM approach, and one of the many reasons I don't go looking for mud. Just tell your wife that if she must go slopping through the mud, she needs to find herself a nice water crossing shortly afterwards to rinse it out. lol
Sponsored

Last edited: