Artec Industries tire delete install

laraza2k1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4X4 2019 2 Door
Put mine on couple of weeks ago. Like how this and the Metalcloak version (which look identical sans differ logo) have the camera mounted high. Still on the fence about the look, but may rock it until the Teraflex Alpha Tire Hinge is released. Finally.

20201208_120844 (2).jpg
Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Nice write-up! I had the same issue with the camera mounting (figuring out how to orient the camera was the lengthiest part of the install for me). Much better rear visibility without the tire back there, and nice not having 60+ extra pounds on the tailgate! Also creates room for a jerry can...

Jeep Wrangler JL Artec Industries tire delete install 20201208_120844 (2)
I came up with 82 lbs on the factory Rubicon tire with holder.

Catiajockey

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon unlimited
I love the look of this and the idea of taking weight off the Jeep as well as more visibility. However it seems strange to add jerry cans. Why would you go somewhere that you might need more fuel but not a spare tire?

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I love the look of this and the idea of taking weight off the Jeep as well as more visibility. However it seems strange to add jerry cans. Why would you go somewhere that you might need more fuel but not a spare tire?
The 2 door JL comes with a 17 gallon fuel tank and the type of driving I do averages 14-15mpg (37" tires and 4.88 gears = not so great mpg). Our cabin isn't the most remote place in the world, but there are stretches in the area where it is 50 miles between gas stations. That extra 4-5 gallons of fuel is a nice reserve "just in case." Also, we have a number of ATVs, chain saws, and other stuff at camp that requires fuel- and it's a pain to leave camp to make a fuel run. All-in-all the Jerry can comes in pretty handy.

I know I'm about to jinx myself, but in decades of banging around in my trucks/Jeeps I've never needed a spare (actually in my current Jeep we did deflate a tire, but I made it back to the cabin where I repaired it). Nearly all of my off-roading occurs in Oklahoma forests- not much in the way of sharp rocks, but lotsa fallen trees and occasional mud. Even if I did need to change a tire, I don't carry a hi-jack lift in the Jeep, and there's no way that stock jack has enough height to change a tire.

For me, the Jerry can gets a lot more use than a spare would (and it weighs about 80 pounds less :^)...
Sponsored