Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I called Artec and they sent me the bolt style side LED light. I wired it in with a waterproof quick dis-connector. The light is not terribly bright and I'm looking for a lighting replacement right now.
Sponsored

surferbandit

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
Thanks for posting the picture! One more question... Where did you splice in the wires? Hard to do? I'm debating between this, ACE and JC off-road .This seams like it's the easiest I stall but don't know about the electric.

Thanks!

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I did not cut the wiring plug off the stock harness, in case I or the next owner changes their mind. I peeled back the tape on the wires back a few inches from the plug and make a splice. I always solder my connections as I do not trust those snap connectors or just a twist and tape. Then I re-taped the solder joints and the factory plug just to keep it water tight.

I have the JCR Offroad version since I installed their rear bumper, but if you haven't watched their video on its install, it requires far more surgery than I am comfortable with, including removing the camera, cutting off the protrusion that houses the camera. Then the camera sits in their housing but the back of it is exposed to the elements. I'm not sure it a better solution than stock.

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, I was thinking of the third brake light swap I did.

You are correct, the electric part of this task seems daunting, but the electric part is easy, it's all the interior body parts that you have to mess with that seems troublesome. I wasn't put off by it, since I had done virtually the same thing on my own several years ago on my JK. Take your time, watch the JCR video on how to get to the right wires and make the right connections to power the license plate light. I will tell you that the Artec bullet style LED light is painfully dim, I am not particularly happy with it, and will ultimately replace it with something else, but I left enough spare wire that I won't have to do the entire install over again.

Sponsored

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I used the PS one you are referring to on a 2015 JKUR that I relocated the license plate on too, but given that the Artec bracket has a center bracket to hold the bolt (side shooter) LED, the PS one really wouldn't work unless you hacksawed off the steel bracket (hard to explain but check out the Artec site.

In the end I used the Artec bracket and the single bolt LED at the top center of the plate, but I didn't think it was bright enough, so i purchased two more bolt lights on Amazon and used them as the bottom two bolts on the bottom of the plate, so now the plate is illuminated enough.

Bob

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
It was on a Jeep from a custom shop out of Ft Worth, Tribe-16. Guy said it wasn’t a big deal using the PS light with the Artec bracket. But yeah, it’s a shame that Artec is not selling a complete solution with quality all the way through. To me, by them not including a proper light they turned out only a half baked product. I’ve seen this from other vendors too on JL products. I look forward to the JL aftermarket to mature more in 2019.

Last edited:

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
In fairness to Artec, when I bought the plate bracket, their post said "side shooter bolt LED included", when I contacted them about it not being in the box, they promptly sent me one. They now sell one on their site separately for $6.

In fact, I am going to be taking my Artec license plate bracket off this week. I guess it goes on the shelf with the JCR Offroad license plate relocation bracket that I received with my rear bumper (which I love).

Although controversial, I am ditching the spare tire on the back of the Jeep. When I go offroad, I will just hoist that beast into the back of the JLUR, but for around town driving, I am going to go spare-less, which is no more risky than my former Corvette or Porsche Carrera, neither of which had a spare. The plan is to carry a tire plug kit and ultimately install the ARB dual compressor on-board.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
In fairness to Artec, when I bought the plate bracket, their post said "side shooter bolt LED included", when I contacted them about it not being in the box, they promptly sent me one. They now sell one on their site separately for $6.

In fact, I am going to be taking my Artec license plate bracket off this week. I guess it goes on the shelf with the JCR Offroad license plate relocation bracket that I received with my rear bumper (which I love).

Although controversial, I am ditching the spare tire on the back of the Jeep. When I go offroad, I will just hoist that beast into the back of the JLUR, but for around town driving, I am going to go spare-less, which is no more risky than my former Corvette or Porsche Carrera, neither of which had a spare. The plan is to carry a tire plug kit and ultimately install the ARB dual compressor on-board.
I’m coming through your area the morning of the 22nd, would you want to sell the Artec?

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase