BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Before paint
Jeep Wrangler JL Artec DEF skid and belly pan install notes 37DE3137-31F6-42BF-83F7-1C29EE9C91AC

I washed the pieces with Dawn soap and water, scuffed with 150 grit, then wiped it down with alcohol. The paint I used was the Rustoleum high temp stuff. Nobody local had the high temp primer in stock. Finish was nice but I’m not terribly impressed with how well it’s holding. Could be because I didn’t use primer though.
Jeep Wrangler JL Artec DEF skid and belly pan install notes 6841D90D-17C9-436C-BA8A-71C503ED0A2D

The first pieces to go on are the ones in the lower left above. They attach to the frame using the two small nuts on either side of the body bolt
Jeep Wrangler JL Artec DEF skid and belly pan install notes 4E93E66E-0570-4A68-974E-0EBB4597F3E4

The order of operations is this:
1) back body bolt out ~1in to access nuts
Jeep Wrangler JL Artec DEF skid and belly pan install notes 9F240A5D-A213-422B-8D0A-DEEA97C14A69

2) remove nuts from studs
3) put bracket on and finger tighten nuts
Jeep Wrangler JL Artec DEF skid and belly pan install notes 7F778206-20E6-4F0A-9D7B-FE3F7AF88552

4) tighten body bolt so you can…
5) insert supplied cross bolt with backer (you can’t get this in if the nuts are tight)
Jeep Wrangler JL Artec DEF skid and belly pan install notes 572996A5-B1AD-4EF9-A6B6-2560074264D5

6) loosen body bolt ~1 in
7) tighten nuts
8) tighten body bolt
9) tighten cross bolt

Once the these brackets are on the rest is pretty self explanatory. We used a pipe in the exhaust to move the muffler to access the one bolt hidden behind it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Artec DEF skid and belly pan install notes 77969720-111E-49DD-9657-7537DE1D08E5

The last thing we tightened up was the three countersunk bolts that are on the leading edge (visible in first two pics). Make sure you insert the threaded backers before you block access.
Not too shabby looking…
Jeep Wrangler JL Artec DEF skid and belly pan install notes 615B1AAD-FC15-4DB0-A2C2-6A2BDC233E37
Sponsored

OP
OP
BDinTX

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got up early (and started work a little late) to prime and paint the belly pan. It’s supposed to be above 70° so seemed like a good idea. Check out all this extra HP that just bolts right on! Between the red and the manufacturer stickers I’ll stick on later I might be poppin’ wheelies.
Jeep Wrangler JL Artec DEF skid and belly pan install notes BE13A640-73D8-4D63-8379-BDF23EAFBF99

I used different rustoleum paint here than on the DEF skid:
Jeep Wrangler JL Artec DEF skid and belly pan install notes A16FBB0F-0A36-42C7-90BD-D4579D8BD88C

OP
OP
BDinTX

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got the belly pan installed

I rewatched their JT install video several times and made these notes:
  1. Remove factory transfer and other skids.
  2. Remove fuel filter, skid set aside big bolts on rail and inside to frame to reuse.
  3. Use 10mm inside for bracket trim piece.
  4. Use 13mm for fuel filter to bracket, save, will reuse.
  5. Loosen fuel tank skid, use ratchet strap to hold up tank. (Had to nearly remove all bolts before metal fish tape would go through).
  6. Install metal tank strap with factory bolts. Then remove ratchet strap.

Loosely install:
  1. Engine brackets
    -4 on passenger side
    -5 on drivers side
  2. Insert threaded plates in factory crossmember.
    -8 on passenger side
    -9 on drivers side
    Note: These both needed to be cut down to fit through crossmember holes.
  3. Install oil pan skid to crossmember and engine brackets. Add small support bracket on passenger side of skid.
  4. Add new crossmember with one countersunk on driver side only. Wings on either end point to the rear.
  5. Install T-case skid using flag nut -3 on passenger side
  6. Install exhaust skid and bracket -23
  7. Install fuel filter into bracket, slightly thread on factory nuts. Install bracket with 9/16 bolt into new crossmember and re-use factory 13mm bolt. Tighten nuts holding fuel filter.
  8. Hang fuel tank skid brackets -21 and ? With factory bolts. Insert carriage bolts into rear of fuel tank skid from inside, use tape to hold in place. Hang skid from rear brackets, work forwards using countersunk bolts.
  9. Install fuel filter door with bracket -17. Will reuse two factory bolts that held on original filter bracket.
  10. Tighten everything back to front
  11. Drill 3/8 hole in frame for forward most driver side hole. Start with center punch. Use flag nut and recessed bolt.
  12. Apply stickers.

Jeep Wrangler JL Artec DEF skid and belly pan install notes C17BE215-FCDE-477B-A41C-1E66C53E733F

Other notes:
I found it helpful to jack up the front end and put a couple of 2x4s under each of the front tires. The added clearance allowed me to lay each skid on my stomach as I rolled around on the creeper

Unfortunately I didn’t take pictures of the brackets after the cut. I’ll try to draw something up later and insert here.
Jeep Wrangler JL Artec DEF skid and belly pan install notes 6282DCE4-85AF-478E-BF73-BD893C429776

Some other folks mentioned receiving flange nuts in the parts kit that are the wrong thread pitch. I did as well.

The video doesn’t go over how to hang the engine brackets. On the passenger side, you need to use the forward most bolt:
Jeep Wrangler JL Artec DEF skid and belly pan install notes 1671255202498

Jeep Wrangler JL Artec DEF skid and belly pan install notes F272E8C7-B38C-4FAB-A8E7-FF9B797D95D5

Turns out that ”nut” is spot welded in. Hopefully it isn’t too important… =/
Jeep Wrangler JL Artec DEF skid and belly pan install notes 0FFD6CC2-7F4E-491D-BEDB-04EF80A2E3D0

I think their intent is that you back out the bolt, install the new 10.9 longer one, then sandwich the bracket between that nut and another one.

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Got the belly pan installed

I rewatched their JT install video several times and made these notes:
  1. Remove factory transfer and other skids.
  2. Remove fuel filter, skid set aside big bolts on rail and inside to frame to reuse.
  3. Use 10mm inside for bracket trim piece.
  4. Use 13mm for fuel filter to bracket, save, will reuse.
  5. Loosen fuel tank skid, use ratchet strap to hold up tank. (Had to nearly remove all bolts before metal fish tape would go through).
  6. Install metal tank strap with factory bolts. Then remove ratchet strap.

Loosely install:
  1. Engine brackets
    -4 on passenger side
    -5 on drivers side
  2. Insert threaded plates in factory crossmember.
    -8 on passenger side
    -9 on drivers side
    Note: These both needed to be cut down to fit through crossmember holes.
  3. Install oil pan skid to crossmember and engine brackets. Add small support bracket on passenger side of skid.
  4. Add new crossmember with one countersunk on driver side only. Wings on either end point to the rear.
  5. Install T-case skid using flag nut -3 on passenger side
  6. Install exhaust skid and bracket -23
  7. Install fuel filter into bracket, slightly thread on factory nuts. Install bracket with 9/16 bolt into new crossmember and re-use factory 13mm bolt. Tighten nuts holding fuel filter.
  8. Hang fuel tank skid brackets -21 and ? With factory bolts. Insert carriage bolts into rear of fuel tank skid from inside, use tape to hold in place. Hang skid from rear brackets, work forwards using countersunk bolts.
  9. Install fuel filter door with bracket -17. Will reuse two factory bolts that held on original filter bracket.
  10. Tighten everything back to front
  11. Drill 3/8 hole in frame for forward most driver side hole. Start with center punch. Use flag nut and recessed bolt.
  12. Apply stickers.

Jeep Wrangler JL Artec DEF skid and belly pan install notes 0FFD6CC2-7F4E-491D-BEDB-04EF80A2E3D0

Other notes:
I found it helpful to jack up the front end and put a couple of 2x4s under each of the front tires. The added clearance allowed me to lay each skid on my stomach as I rolled around on the creeper

Unfortunately I didn’t take pictures of the brackets after the cut. I’ll try to draw something up later and insert here.

Some other folks mentioned receiving flange nuts in the parts kit that are the wrong thread pitch. I did as well.

The video doesn’t go over how to hang the engine brackets. On the passenger side, you need to use the forward most bolt:

Turns out that ”nut” is spot welded in. Hopefully it isn’t too important… =/

I think their intent is that you back out the bolt, install the new 10.9 longer one, then sandwich the bracket between that nut and another one.
Nice write-up and red really looks great.

Sponsored

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Thanks. Probably going to do that next spring. Do you go with a Fumoto valve on the oil pan?

OP
OP
BDinTX

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Probably going to do that next spring. Do you go with a Fumoto valve on the oil pan?
I do have one but I don't have it installed yet. I'm one of those bad people that uses the free oil changes...

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
didn't realize you were doing a write-up of the install when you reached out about getting that bracket to fit!

i would have never considered putting paint on something that isn't going to rust and is inteded to be a contact point,... but i have to admit it looks fun!

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do have one but I don't have it installed yet. I'm one of those bad people that uses the free oil changes...
We wouldn’t you when it needs 8 quarts of oil that for the most part, can’t be found for a reasonable price and an absurdly priced oil filter. I enjoy working on it Also I work at the dealership and any reported incidents must be outliers. Changing the oil is not rocket science.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BDinTX

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
didn't realize you were doing a write-up of the install when you reached out about getting that bracket to fit!

i would have never considered putting paint on something that isn't going to rust and is inteded to be a contact point,... but i have to admit it looks fun!
lol I didn't realize I was either! I pinged a few people that mentioned installing these on a diesel. Thank you all for the responses btw. If you can dig up those engineering diagrams, particularly if it shows those to brackets, I can draw lines on them to indicate where I cut them to fit.

As for the Red... I saw a video a while back talking about how bright colors makes it easier for a spotter to see if you're about to hit. On the other jeep, and the previous Asfir skid, I liked that I could more easily see where I hit something when rolling around underneath. Those seem like better justification than "I think it looks cool" ; )

OP
OP
BDinTX

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We wouldn’t you when it needs 8 quarts of oil that for the most part, can’t be found for a reasonable price and an absurdly priced oil filter. I enjoy working on it Also I work at the dealership and any reported incidents must be outliers. Changing the oil is not rocket science.
Not to mention, when I was looking for my own supplies in case of a zombie apocalypse it was really hard to find oil that met the correct spec or oil filters in stock.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not to mention, when I was looking for my own supplies in case of a zombie apocalypse it was really hard to find oil that met the correct spec or oil filters in stock.
After the last oil change on hers, I make sure to ask if they have an oil and fuel filter in stock. Had to bring it back the next day and she was a bit miffed....

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
9. 😆

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8, 9, it’s a lot…. 220, 221 whatever it takes…..
Sponsored