Sponsored

ARIZONA - Short Notice Trail Run

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

thanks. It is not getting hot enough for any warning lights, but was up around 240 going slow. when it was warm, you could smell the coolant pretty bad. some of the stuff it's doing now is new, so not sure what to think about them. the driveline slop and rear end whine both started about the same time, also after it seemed to be dropping into neutral when driving in slow traffic downhill. (felt and sounded like transfer case slipping).
And it's your 2nd JL? What are the odds... sucks man. Hoping they work it out ASAP, this is prime outdoor weather now..

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
And it's your 2nd JL? What are the odds... sucks man. Hoping they work it out ASAP, this is prime outdoor weather now..
yeah, my 2018 had the bad frame welds. dealership was great we the that one and they helped refuse it at delivery.

this one has an awesome looking frame, but in the 2400 miles I have put on it since e picking it up it has been issue after issue starting a the major coolant leaks. now with it having the rear end whine, trans or transfer case slipping (in 2wd) and other items we are not real confident inmthe cooling system and drivetrain. so far so have been very easy on it, pretty much highway miles and trails like Apache trail. it's having issues now when it is cool / cold out, so I really worry about the heat and when we start to hit some real trails. we planned to do a lot of overlanding type trips, but not sure I trust it for that. wishing I kept my 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and just bought an RZR for the time ugh trails. (Not really, just venting. the Rubicon is night and day better for this area, just hate that I am having so many issues)

we have a trip planned in March that will put another 3000 or so miles on it. driving back to Arkansas and Missouri, then back to do a lot of trails in CO and UT. hoping it will be fixed before then. (and my undercloak skids, rock hard lca skids, front and rear diff skids, and Roam sliders are in). will update the build journal once they are on with my new wheels / tires / shocks and lift. will also post a trip section from CO and Moab.

until then, I'll watch here for others to hit AZ trails. I want to make sure to go with others until we really know it's fixed.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Broken Arrow opened this morning.

0225191244a_HDR~2.jpg
how was broken arrow? quite a few posted from crown king on the AZ virtual Jeep forum and it looked like it was less than ideal due to trail condition and sheer number of rigs out. (like Apache trail for me)

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
how was broken arrow? quite a few posted from crown king on the AZ virtual Jeep forum and it looked like it was less than ideal due to trail condition and sheer number of rigs out. (like Apache trail for me)
Weather couldnt have been any better!!! Not very crowded as you would expect from a Monday afternoon following a weekend trail closure. It was still very wet and slick but not at all closure related material.

Sponsored

Atom44wat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU
Anybody up for anything tomorrow? We went to the offroad show in Scottsdale and we'll, yeah. Looking to go somewhere. Thinking table Mesa (never done it). I'm up for an adventure with the fam.

OP
OP
wildcat455

wildcat455

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon 2.0L
Occupation
Electronics service technician
Vehicle Showcase
Just now seeing this.
I was busy all weekend Getting some rifles tuned up.
I certainly hope you and your family got out and did something!
It was a very beautiful weekend! Even the rain was nice on Saturday afternoon!

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
In AZ, I'd recommend ALWAYS going with at least one other vehicle.
I like to do that, but we spend a lot more time than most have. Places like MOAB we would always run into others, but here it seems you may not run into anyone. My wife stays at home to take care of our home, I am a full time telecommuter and my 8yr old does a modified year round school. Due to that we spend all summer, amd every 2 week break traveling, as well,as any 3 day weekend etc. we use those trips to go further away, amd then pretty much every weekend we try to explore somewhere closer to home. But without more confidence in the JLUR we will for sure go places that there will be others out. We are also making sure to buy everything we need to get us out of any jams we can think of to get home, amd buying all the protection we can for the Jeep. Rather be safe than sorry.

OP
OP
wildcat455

wildcat455

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon 2.0L
Occupation
Electronics service technician
Vehicle Showcase
Guilty of breaking the Solo rule quite often...

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Guilty of breaking the Solo rule quite often...
I know we shouldn't, but we really like to explore and can't always wait for others to be free. Since we know we do go out on our own sometimes we are building our Rubicon for reliability and to Get us home after being on a trail. We focused on underbelly skids, lca skids, diff skids, etc. we are also making sure we have all the gear we need in case we get stuck, or come to a down tree etc.

Not ideal, but we know that we will be out a lot, and will do the best we can to stay safe.

Last edited:

Sponsored

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
Since we're retired, we end up going solo almost all the time. I've got the recovery equipment, tools, and knowledge to fix most problems, but the lack of communication on a large number of the trails bothered me. Thus, I started this thread last year to gain some understanding of what folks did to overcome that problem: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/garmin-inreach-units.15173/

@CanAmMick provided a ton of background on his inReach unit. Then @camprats and @AK0311 kicked in supporting the benefits of the inReach units. Their support convinced me to purchase a unit and use it.

I still haven't modified my approach to going solo. We still limit our solo excursions to maximum of 3/3.5 level trails. Both my kids have very capable off-road vehicles, so they can come get us if problems arise. I leave a .gpx file of our planned route in a file folder in my DropBox account - both kids have access to that file folder. I leave any trail write-ups or additional descriptive material in there also. When we start a trail that has a known lack of cellphone coverage, we start the inReach unit and text them via the inReach unit that we're on the trail - it provides a URL to our tracking data on a Gramin website. They can follow us online if they want. When we're off the trail, we text that we're done and heading home.

Although we have the $24.95/month plan, I'm convinced that the $12.95/month plan would be adequate from a safety standpoint. The $24.95 plan is nice for anyone who is interested in following you online.

The only addition that I'm planning is to visit one or two of the off-road recovery companies in the area to understand their process. Should be good info to have before it's needed.

Atom44wat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU
Hit up Bulldog canyon. Great day, excellent weather, and great views. Recommend but don't forget your pass!

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Hit up Bulldog canyon. Great day, excellent weather, and great views. Recommend but don't forget your pass!
I need to find a ranger station to get the yearly one. I hate doing them a day at a time etc.

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
I need to find a ranger station to get the yearly one. I hate doing them a day at a time etc.
I know you're talking about obtaining a Tonto National Forest permit, but one is not needed for Bulldog Canyon. All you need to do is fill out an online permit application and they will reply - usually the next day - with a six month permit. Here's the URL:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tonto/recreation/ohv/?cid=stelprdb5348179

Also, about 99% of the Forest trails do not require a permit.

Atom44wat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU
Just to share the experience, we were only about 300 yards from starting the trail and a ranger pulled up and requested the permit so please be sure you have one.
Sponsored