Sponsored

ARIZONA - Short Notice Trail Run

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I may do the 4 peaks to Apache trail loop this weekend starting in 4-peaks. Not sure yet on the day, as we also plan to head south and hit Tucson wash and maybe a few others while there.

If anyone is interested in either let me know. I won't do anything crazy as will have family with me. But more Jeeps are always more fun. Still no CB though, looking for options on that as we speak. Any suggestions from the group here on what you run? I want to/ be compatible with the others that are more likely to run with us.
Sponsored

Atom44wat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU
Looks like we will make an attempt in Sedona at Broken Arrow regardless of the weather. If it doesn't work out at least we can grab a good meal. Don't have a time but if you want to meet up we can arrange something.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like we will make an attempt in Sedona at Broken Arrow regardless of the weather. If it doesn't work out at least we can grab a good meal. Don't have a time but if you want to meet up we can arrange something.
if you get a chance, let the group know how Broken arrow is. I am going to stick closer to home this weekend due to all the rain and snow, but want to hit more trails in Sedona as soon as I can.

Atom44wat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU
Broken arrow is closed as well as all other trails in the area. We will try for something tomorrow .

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
four peaks, Apache trail, sycamore Creek, bulldog canyon all closed. we knew Apache trail was closed, but drove to four peaks anyways. gate was closed a few miles in. ended up taking one of the side FR routes that lead back onto 87. was fun, but not what we were wanting to do. we also got in some good shooting back in small canyon.

hoping the trails open up tomorrow. My brother is in town and we were hoping to do a lot of exploring, but have been shut down everywhere we turn.

738B42E2-3F2D-48B1-81AD-561BB5CBF507.jpeg

3CA0EF6E-24FD-433E-8A70-ACA4CA26D515.jpeg

2A2548F0-98B9-4754-860F-35FD15A103E9.jpeg

0F2340C4-E3B2-4292-8B83-AD6BFCF6DCB8.jpeg

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I'm confused about this whole closing forestry roads thing during snow season. In the past, we used to be able to head up north and go wheeling pretty much any time it snowed. The biggest thing was checkpoints on the highways that required chains or 4wd (rarely both). Now it seems, TPTB have gated and are closing National Forest whenever the snow hits.

Is this some new "environmental" action by NFS to allegedly keep the roads from being "negatively impacted by erosion"? Such BS if that's the case, as when we used to go up, there was enough snow that you never even got down to the ground and therefore there was no erosion issue in the first place.
I assumed they always closed the roads, but we just moved here last June. I was a little frustrated with all of them being closed today, even simple ones like Apache trail. there is a lot of snow at elevation, but most was fine. the lower areas were a little muddy, but we ran pretty much all day today in 2wd. it was a little muddy in top, but it was a thin layer and plenty of traction. back off the main road in Foir peaks we found a few spots to play around a little more, but even there it was never anything that even remotely caused concern.

however, there were a lot of suvs that hadmno business back there, so maybe the gates are closed due to no real checks to ensure you have the right vehicle or equipment.

we made the most of the day, but still overall disappointed.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
I assumed they always closed the roads, but we just moved here last June. I was a little frustrated with all of them being closed today, even simple ones like Apache trail. there is a lot of snow at elevation, but most was fine. the lower areas were a little muddy, but we ran pretty much all day today in 2wd. it was a little muddy in top, but it was a thin layer and plenty of traction. back off the main road in Foir peaks we found a few spots to play around a little more, but even there it was never anything that even remotely caused concern.

however, there were a lot of suvs that hadmno business back there, so maybe the gates are closed due to no real checks to ensure you have the right vehicle or equipment.

This isn't directed at you....I'm just waxing poetic about how our society has become such a nanny state.

[Rant on]

JMO, but the people of this country need to take responsibility for the choices THEY make, not rely on a government agency to save them when something goes wrong. Sweet geebus people need to be self sufficient. If one chooses to get into "outdoor adventure sports", the rest of society should have no obligation to "save" them should things go south...nor should we have to foot the bill for "rescue services" to those Darwin award winners or candidates.

You like to base jump? Fine. Don't expect rescue by anyone but your peers should shit go south on your jump (fall is a better word, LOL). Same with extreme rockcrawling....wreck your shit on a 60 foot waterfall climb? Your problem. You chose to do something very risky in a very remote area. That's on YOU and your buddies....not the rest of society.

Same with getting stuck and dying in your SUV in the snow. Didn't prepare? Went in one vehicle? No food, no recovery equipment? Brought your kids along? Dumb. It's sad that they'll have to pay for your stupidity....but they are your wards until they are 18 and you are responsible for them. Don't fuck it up.

[Rant off]

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

They even closed Apache trail? Lol that is pretty lame. I looked around Carefree yesterday and cops shut it down just as it was getting good. Went to Needle Rock, that was washed out n closed. And the cold grew my windshield crack about two feet. Womp womp

22D3CF80-F341-41B1-BAE9-6460F354C063.jpeg

7AB8E315-6D27-4E30-9016-EB26013A7B1F.jpeg

88B2CA20-BD06-4D31-A305-F6DFDF7DB392.jpeg

429FA2CC-23D2-4836-AD4E-DBDC15773FEE.jpeg

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
They even closed Apache trail? Lol that is pretty lame. I looked around Carefree yesterday and cops shut it down just as it was getting good. Went to Needle Rock, that was washed out n closed. And the cold grew my windshield crack about two feet. Womp womp

22D3CF80-F341-41B1-BAE9-6460F354C063.jpeg

7AB8E315-6D27-4E30-9016-EB26013A7B1F.jpeg

88B2CA20-BD06-4D31-A305-F6DFDF7DB392.jpeg

429FA2CC-23D2-4836-AD4E-DBDC15773FEE.jpeg
yeah, pretty much everything is shut down. on the ranger site it says shut down until the 25th, but I am going to try Apache again tomorrow anyway as we plan to hike in gold canyon. maybe I will get lucky.

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Apache Trail back open today... Should have known better than to go. So much traffic, people stopping in the middle of the road for pictures, parking in the road and walking to look at the water etc. Not to mention no one seemed to know trail etiquette outside of a few people. More than once we were almost run off the road going up the one lane areas where the person coming down did not even slow down. Lots of storm damage, trees and big boulders blocking half the road etc. Needs some maintenance for sure now, and seeing the condition I understand why it was closed yesterday.

Outside of the condition of the trail and the traffic, my Rubicon was less than cooperative. Back to the dealership she goes.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Good trail intel.. Sorry to hear about the issues, is it overheating?

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Apache Trail back open today... Should have known better than to go. So much traffic, people stopping in the middle of the road for pictures, parking in the road and walking to look at the water etc. Not to mention no one seemed to know trail etiquette outside of a few people. More than once we were almost run off the road going up the one lane areas where the person coming down did not even slow down. Lots of storm damage, trees and big boulders blocking half the road etc. Needs some maintenance for sure now, and seeing the condition I understand why it was closed yesterday.

Outside of the condition of the trail and the traffic, my Rubicon was less than cooperative. Back to the dealership she goes.
This is exactly the reason they close the roads. City of 4 million people full of idiots that will end up needing expensive rescues.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
This is exactly the reason they close the roads. City of 4 million people full of idiots that will end up needing expensive rescues.
someone slid off the right side against the cliff wall and left a small car. we were all like wtf were they even doing trying the go down this road in snow.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Good trail intel.. Sorry to hear about the issues, is it overheating?
thanks. It is not getting hot enough for any warning lights, but was up around 240 going slow. when it was warm, you could smell the coolant pretty bad. some of the stuff it's doing now is new, so not sure what to think about them. the driveline slop and rear end whine both started about the same time, also after it seemed to be dropping into neutral when driving in slow traffic downhill. (felt and sounded like transfer case slipping).
Sponsored