First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
No mapping devices here yet although I've been wondering just how folks find their trails and trail information.

We've done camping and even considered an RV on several occasions but never pulled the trigger. I don't see us overlanding or going on extended trips in the Jeep. Getting out onto the trails for one or two nights is more our style.

We have a 2021 JL 4 dr Willys Edition.

Truthfully we have NO idea how to do this but I think it will be great to learn.

Jeep Wrangler JL Arizona owners - please check in! 20210212_122637
Sponsored

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
No mapping devices here yet although I've been wondering just how folks find their trails and trail information.
We have a 2021 JL 4 dr Willys Edition.

Truthfully we have NO idea how to do this but I think it will be great to learn.
Here's your first assignment ... read this webpage for some info on mapping programs :

https://www.jeeptheusa.com/use-gpx.html ... three suggested mapping programs. I have Gaia and Locus Pro. Locus Pro has a steep learning curve, but since we also geocache, it is the best app for us. Gaia is the app of choice for Overlanders. I use it for developing trails into .gpx files ... I then load it into my wife's smartphone and my 8" Samsung tablet when we go off road. Locus Pro ONLY functions on Android devices, so if you use Apple products exclusively, it isn't a good choice. Gaia works on both Android and Apple products.

If you have an old Smartphone, that's a good unit to start with. I started with one and then upgraded to a 7" tablet and about a year ago jumped to an 8" tablet with more memory.

Second assignment is to read this webpage to start understanding trail ratings:

https://www.jeeptheusa.com/difficulty-ratings.html Jeep the USA uses a 5 point scale, Funtreks uses a 3 point scale, and Trails Offroad uses a 10 point scale, but you'll get the idea easily enough. Start with a few easier trails to get your bearings and then work from there.

And your last assignment is to read this webpage to familiarize yourself with some of the other websites that offer .gpx tracks for the local trails:

https://www.jeeptheusa.com/other-websites-with-tracks.html The main ones I use are Jeep the USA, Funtreks, Trails Offroad, and AZ Offroad. Not listed on the website is Arizona Highways.com ... it has a mix of asphalt and dirt.

If you come up with any specific questions, drop me a PM ... no problem supporting a fellow Air Force vet.

Last edited:

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
Yes it well.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
LOL @47Jeepster Now I feel as though I was back in Tech School at Lowry!

I'll do some reading and if I have any questions I'll send you a PM. I know neither my old Smartphone or Android tablet are connected to a network but I suppose I can still use them. I just have to download .gpx files to my PC then transfer them over to one of those devices.

Seems these days maps and compasses have been passed by.

Macrocosmcwh

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hello Zonies!!!!! Christian here! Just purchased this Pumpkin 2019 JL... Excited to go find some trails with my family and some of you I am sure.

I live in Eastmark in Mesa.

I look forward to meeting you all.... Don’t hesitate to send messages.

Sponsored

JJJEEEEEEPPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Hey Folks, New to AZ (Phoenix), moved here from VA.
I have done a couple of easy (green) trails and a 101 class at Rausch Creek Offroad park in PA.
Hope to find a few groups to join for exploring trails in AZ. Please let me know if you know any easy group rides coming up soon.

AZJim_JoAnn

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2020 JL Sport S
Welcome new folks. Schnebly Hill is a pretty easy trail near Sedona. Also it's a Jeep Badge of honor trail. Any stock Jeep should be fine on it. Just check the forest service to make sure it's open all the way. It can close in Winter conditions.

You can head out to Table Mesa near new river and there are some short little trails there that you can play around with.

Someone posted some groups a few pages back. Check that post out for groups that do runs.

JaysJL

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Altitude
I think I’ve posted on here.
Jay from theoverlandnetwork.com
Starting to build some Jeep parts like bumpers and sliders. Will need some testers to try them out once we get them built.
just got new shoes. went with fifteen52s and ko2s
Jeep Wrangler JL Arizona owners - please check in! 0A74E8D0-45D8-48F9-BAE8-6292A8006142
Jeep Wrangler JL Arizona owners - please check in! 988051CE-C64E-4936-9F5B-A8DC76B7E768
Jeep Wrangler JL Arizona owners - please check in! 18F3E505-2A3D-4273-B53B-50DDBB3DFC1F

Sponsored

2021Nacho

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlu Rubicon, 2015 Jk sport
Occupation
Semi-retired
New to the forums...anyone else from way down south?

We're in Rio Rico

Jeep Wrangler JL Arizona owners - please check in! 20210328_104219

Last edited:

Burt

First Name
Burt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2014 FJ Cruiser (TTUE), 2016 Camry XLE (wife’s)
Occupation
Retired
not from down south, but love exploring that area of the state, lots of great trails...

heading for Bull Springs Rd in a week, then off to the Chiricahua’s..

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going to be running the back way to crown king on the 3rd. I'm expecting it to be pretty busy due to the holiday. Maybe I'll see some of you out there!
Going to get your BOH badge for it?

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Just noticed the avatar, I've seen the "Rum Runner" before! In Scottsdale when I worked there. Love that color.
Oh that’s so awesome!! Yep, I live up here! Thanks, me too!! Although that green is pretty sweet too.
Sponsored