Areas of improvement

Hoopster3

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
I've had my new Rubicon 4xe for a week now. Here are a few items I wish I could change:

1. Max regen needs to be turned on every time the vehicle is started.

2. Uconnect alerts are too late. I'll plug in the Jeep and get a notification 90 minutes later that my Jeep is charging. Maybe not specific to a Wrangler though.

3. Uconnect app doesn't update when I pull the screen down. For instance I'll have 45% battery life and 3 hours later I'll refresh the info page, it says updating, but then it still shows 45% battery.

4. Seat height seems too high even when adjusted to lowest position. I'm not quite 5'9 and would like to sit lower. My head is too close to the top. I've had 2 different Wrangler Sports and don't remember this being a problem.

5. I wish the speed limit that's shown on navigation would display by my MPH so I could see it when not using navigation. I realize I can also look at the actual speed limit signs.

6. I wish there was a more convenient spot for my phone outside of a cupholder.

None of these are major issues. I've been loving the new ride and with my short work commute I've been able to stay running on electric the entire time.
Sponsored

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
I think everyone agrees on the Max Regen retaining it's setting.

Seems like I have to force stop the Uconnect app and restart it to get it to attempt to refresh, even then it might not actually refresh. It's abysmal. If the Jeep could connect to Wifi and communicate to the app that way it would help, but coming from a Mustang, even when I was away from home the Ford Pass app was much more responsive.

Have you noticed the little cutouts between the two cup holders? Phone sits nicely there and doesn't take up either one of the actual cup holders.

OP
OP

Hoopster3

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe

Seems like I have to force stop the Uconnect app and restart it to get it to attempt to refresh, even then it might not actually refresh. It's abysmal. If the Jeep could connect to Wifi and communicate to the app that way it would help, but coming from a Mustang, even when I was away from home the Ford Pass app was much more responsive.

Have you noticed the little cutouts between the two cup holders? Phone sits nicely there and doesn't take up either one of the actual cup holders.
I had noticed that spot and had been placing my fob there. 🤦‍♂️ I even went out and checked because I thought my phone wouldn't fit...but it does! Thank you!

While I went out and checked I noticed the battery level was at 47%, but the 3rd charging light was flashing. I thought the 3rd light meant it was between 50-75%???

I came from a Silverado and used the My Chevrolet (formerly OnStar) app to give vehicle diagnostics and it worked perfectly every time.

sachatur

First Name
Saravan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Prius, Honda Fit, Rubicon 4XE
I had noticed that spot and had been placing my fob there. 🤦‍♂️ I even went out and checked because I thought my phone wouldn't fit...but it does! Thank you!

While I went out and checked I noticed the battery level was at 47%, but the 3rd charging light was flashing. I thought the 3rd light meant it was between 50-75%???

I came from a Silverado and used the My Chevrolet (formerly OnStar) app to give vehicle diagnostics and it worked perfectly every time.
The charging lights are 0-20, 20-40, 40-60, 60-80, and 80-100% respectively.

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I did. 🙂

Until I starting carefully watching the regen with it toggled off, and read about the brake system.

So the 4xe has "brake by wire", i.e., when you press the brakes (maxreg off) and feel the car slowing down, it's initially not pad-on-rotor friction, the 4xe starts engaging the generator "clutches".

Then as you continue pressing the brake, at some point in the pedal travel, it's a mix of both traditional frictional brakes and generators - ending up with the car being held stopped, by just the brake-brakes 😁

A couple of folks have tested the same route a few times and have noted just as good (in some cases better) without maxreg. I think the problem - and this is what I ran into - is I found myself stopped short quite a bit, as I didn't want to run up on slow/stopped traffic and wait till the last second (where you get way more generator slowdown).

I find myself lightly slowing, for longer (and charing more) , or like slowing down a bridge where I get regen the entire downside but with maxreg, I'd actually slow down too much.

I generally drive with, I think it's page 5, that has the two, different colored circles that show ICE vs. EV (and the latter as use or charge), when I'm driving like I described above, I get lots of indication of charging. We've been getting a solid 30 miles around town (35-45MPH, moderate stop-and-go), could probably hit 32/33 most days.

I'm don't believe it's the app itself (as in the installed on your device application), I think it's actually the whole architecture - the app is simply reporting what's being sent to the servers from the vehicle (it doesn't connect directly to the Jeep):

Jeep >> Mopar Online Services >> App

It's the same backend that allows you to start the car from the web (vs. the app), so I think it's the source (the 4xe) that's slow in reporting its status - or the services in the middle tier are slow in polling the 4xe.

(NERD!! Yes, I'm a software dev/architect 🤓).

I got this for the wife, based on a recommendation here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VG6YKGM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since the armrest console is so deep, this lets you split up the space, and you can run a cable through the light cutout and stick your phone in here (so it's not just bouncing around in a pile of stuff).

Sponsored

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Nice info on the braking, thanks!

As for the app, I assumed as much (Nerd here too, "Success Engineer"/Software Consultant), I just dumb it down for sake of conversation. My assumption is the real issue is the dependency on the mobile connection (though I could be wrong) and connecting via Wifi would give the Jeep a more reliable way to report back to home and make the app more responsive. Of course, the issue could be software related, not connectivity based.

I looked at that organizer, but I think I'm going to pick up something like this:
https://www.quadratec.com/p/tuffy/security-console-insert-jeep-wrangler-jl
I had a locking center console in my last CJ-7 (that held the stereo too) and it was nice being able to lock my wallet and other items while running around topless. Plus, I like having my phone out, and that slot between the cup holders keeps it secure but within reach if I need it for some reason.

rykart

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Occupation
project manager
The Tuffy security box did not work for me. The console was too shallow and the straight brackets would not work with the curves inside.

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
it's for the key, but i put my phone there and the key below the aux switches or where ever that little cubby is

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
it's for the key, but i put my phone there and the key below the aux switches or where ever that little cubby is
I just keep the fob in my pocket.

The Tuffy security box did not work for me. The console was too shallow and the straight brackets would not work with the curves inside.
Well, that sucks. I saw another somewhere, but it mounted to the screws up above on the armrest which, seems to defeat the purpose of having it lock to begin with.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I think the dashboard display/instrument cluster could use some work. Everything is jammed together and sometimes hard to see.

I've been irritated now that I see the LCD screen has a large amount of area being covered up. It's actually a big screen that has been cropped off. The engineer and UX designer in me just gets so frustrated :headbang:

The tack and power gages take up way too much space. They could have ditched the bezel and made a better UI. In the long run, I think production costs would go down if manufacturers went all glass cockpit and stopped trying to make it a premium option.

Sponsored

burnyd

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette z06
I did. 🙂

Jeep >> Mopar Online Services >> App

It's the same backend that allows you to start the car from the web (vs. the app), so I think it's the source (the 4xe) that's slow in reporting its status - or the services in the middle tier are slow in polling the 4xe.

(NERD!! Yes, I'm a software dev/architect 🤓).

Since the armrest console is so deep, this lets you split up the space, and you can run a cable through the light cutout and stick your phone in here (so it's not just bouncing around in a pile of stuff).

I couldnt find any projects or developer information out there but do you know if there is a public api for any of this with a token for your account? I doubt it given how bad the setup is :( it would be nice to play around with that sort of thing but I doubt they have such a thing for the public.

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
On the non-4xe's, as you get low on gas you'll still see an estimated range down to 10 miles before the screen just says "low range". On the 4xe once you get down to 30 miles it then only says "low range". Even though it's obviously just an estimate, I'd still feel much better knowing whether I have roughly 30 miles vs 10 miles of gas left.

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I couldnt find any projects or developer information out there but do you know if there is a public api for any of this with a token for your account? I doubt it given how bad the setup is :( it would be nice to play around with that sort of thing but I doubt they have such a thing for the public.
Hey!

Not a public API that I've found, but I've been meaning to check out the network traffic from the app, see if there's anything notable ...

I was kind of excited to see the smart charger API is all documented through the OCPP compliance, some simple endpoints, JSON data, etc.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Hey!

Not a public API that I've found, but I've been meaning to check out the network traffic from the app, see if there's anything notable ...

I was kind of excited to see the smart charger API is all documented through the OCPP compliance, some simple endpoints, JSON data, etc.
What's available on the API, status and level? I'd love to be able to hook in without hacking tokens.

There is Alexa integration but those typically are less than impressive, especially when you have to phrase things in awkward ways.

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Nice info on the braking, thanks!

As for the app, I assumed as much (Nerd here too, "Success Engineer"/Software Consultant), I just dumb it down for sake of conversation. My assumption is the real issue is the dependency on the mobile connection (though I could be wrong) and connecting via Wifi would give the Jeep a more reliable way to report back to home and make the app more responsive. Of course, the issue could be software related, not connectivity based.

I looked at that organizer, but I think I'm going to pick up something like this:
https://www.quadratec.com/p/tuffy/security-console-insert-jeep-wrangler-jl
I had a locking center console in my last CJ-7 (that held the stereo too) and it was nice being able to lock my wallet and other items while running around topless. Plus, I like having my phone out, and that slot between the cup holders keeps it secure but within reach if I need it for some reason.
The center console already has a lock on it though. Do you feel it’s inadequate?
Sponsored