• Total voters

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
I've been pretty much all over the San Juans....Maggie and Minnie Gulch and Poughkeepsie come to mind as ones not suitable to an Accord, but there are plenty of passenger sedans cruising the Alpine loop. Most of the area is a regularly graded gravel road with steep sections and the occasional mud hole with a solid, rock base.

As for going the wrong way up Black Bear....just looked into the Telluride Rotary Club's website. I *appears* they haven't done the "Wrong Way" Black Bear pass run since 2010 or so. JFYI.
They did it in 2017 in August for a fact. We went to do the trail on that day and had to set and wait at the staging area for two hours till they finished. Then the Forest service opened it up again. If we had known we would have ran to Telluride to run it that direction.

The Teluride Rotary Club can call the county and or sheriffs dept.,or forest service and update their website and information.

I only brought up the alpine San Juan trails to show the need for deeper gears during very long descents. Not for it to become a debate on what a compact car can or cannot do on the Alpine loop or on Hell's Revenge for that matter.
Sponsored

sprayingmango

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Moab
Occupation
Teacher
Just put 37" Maxxis Razr's on my Moab and regeared to 4.88s. It rides fantastic and I couldn't be more happy! :)

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Apologies then....

Was it hosted by the Telluride Rotary Club? That's who always used to host it. Maybe it's switched hands....all I know is that when I went to their site, the last date listed that I could find was 2010.

Man, there's a lot of thin skinned Jeepers around here. So what if I've seen passenger sedans on the Apline loop? It's not a debate. It's just what I happened to witness. Doesn't make your Jeep any less capable...just means that regularly graded mountain gravel roads aren't that tough to traverse for people who don't really care much about their cars.

Sorry if that observation somehow offended you.
Apologies then....

Was it hosted by the Telluride Rotary Club? That's who always used to host it. Maybe it's switched hands....all I know is that when I went to their site, the last date listed that I could find was 2010.

Man, there's a lot of thin skinned Jeepers around here. So what if I've seen passenger sedans on the Apline loop? It's not a debate. It's just what I happened to witness. Doesn't make your Jeep any less capable...just means that regularly graded mountain gravel roads aren't that tough to traverse for people who don't really care much about their cars.

Sorry if that observation somehow offended you.
The only thing offensive is that regardless how I reply to this "gearing" thread you miss the point and steer things back to the folks that take cars off road. For the life of me I don't see the correlation between "Are you re-gearing for 35s or 37s " and what a honda does. I suppose one could stick 37s on a Honda but I will assume they will be needing to re-gear as well. So I will just leave this one alone and part with one last comment to the OP. Yes I'm re gearing for 37s because I like to save my breaks on extremely long downhill trails/roads even if they have been graded by a dozer or in some cases paved when pulling a 3k # camper.
Live long and prosper.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
I’m having mine re-geared today. #8thgearhighwaycruising

MrEMan1287

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sahara 2.0t
Very curious about thoughts and personal experiences with and without regearing for 35s on a Sahara with 3.45 gears. I read every comment in this thread and didn't see a lot of information that was relative to my and I'm sure a lot of others' situations. So any more info or experiences people can provide would be very insightful.

So.. Would you regear a Sahara with 35s, why or why not? And what would you regear it to if you did?

Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I drove mine for the first time today since the re-gear. I am running 35’s, and 4.88 gears, 8speed auto. Still in the break in, so just did a short run on the highway. At 70mph, 8th gear was turning 2300-2350 rpm. About like a stock JK Rubicon. Acceleration was “brisk”. Overall, I’m very satisfied.

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
Advice please -
I’m getting 35” Nittos and Raceline clutch wheels on Friday.
Then I’ve got the dealer installing the 2” mopar lift on Monday.
I planned to run it for a while and see how it goes. But, now I’m reconsidering.

Should I get it regeared? Can the dealer do it and would it be cheaper to have it done since it’ll be disassembled already? What are the other Sport owners doing?

I’m planning to go to Sedona the next weekend and plan to take it off road. Just wondering what you’d suggest?

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I would re-gear. 4.56 or 4.88, but wouldn’t let the stealership do it. They charge too much.

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I've been perfectly happy with the 3.45's and larger tires. It feels faster than my last 2 door JK with 33's and 3.73 gears.
You still running that setup? How do you like it? I'm looking a 35's for my JLUS 8 speed auto on stock gears 3.45...Did you regear at all?

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. And when going to 37's with the auto, the sweet spot for the gear is 4.56.
how about the sweetspot for the Sport owners 8 speed auto on 35? Do 33's need regear? I'm new just picked mine up a few weeks ago, bone stock.

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
With my 2018 4 door Rubicon and 37s with 410s I wasn't hitting 8th that much. but after a few times of hitting it over to over drive and doing it that way I now am hitting 8th gear without doing that much at all now. Don't know what happened but it hits 8th now. Unless you have around 1700 to just spend to put it back to stock with 37s you don't have to. I have friends who work at several shops and a friend at a dealer who did everything for me and said he is not even doing it on his with 37s. so if he works at a after market shop at a dealer that they have and he does this all day everyday and his not worried about it doing any damage then I'm not either

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
With my 2018 4 door Rubicon and 37s with 410s I wasn't hitting 8th that much. but after a few times of hitting it over to over drive and doing it that way I now am hitting 8th gear without doing that much at all now. Don't know what happened but it hits 8th now. Unless you have around 1700 to just spend to put it back to stock with 37s you don't have to. I have friends who work at several shops and a friend at a dealer who did everything for me and said he is not even doing it on his with 37s. so if he works at a after market shop at a dealer that they have and he does this all day everyday and his not worried about it doing any damage then I'm not either
Wonder if the computer learned a new shift pattern over time :idea:

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Computer adjusts to driving habits. Might be what happened although first time I hear that with going to 37s.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
On 37’s. Regearing in a couple weeks. Trying to decide on 5.13 or 4.88 For the 8spd. i was set on 5.13, but been seeing lots of folks in the know say 4.88 is right.

4.10 is insufficient for larger tires. Too much hunting 6, 7, 8, 7, 8, 7, 6, 7, 8 on the highway.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
On 37’s. Regearing in a couple weeks. Trying to decide on 5.13 or 4.88 For the 8spd. i was set on 5.13, but been seeing lots of folks in the know say 4.88 is right.

4.10 is insufficient for larger tires. Too much hunting 6, 7, 8, 7, 8, 7, 6, 7, 8 on the highway.
Think the math is closer to 4.88 especially to preserve pinion size. When I spoke to a few off-road shops, they recommended 5.13s to account for the larger mass of 37s plus the weight of aftermarket bumpers, etc. Ultimately, I went against the math and did 5.13s despite the smaller pinion because I wanted the on-road acceleration and do not plan to do any extreme off-roading. Additionally, I will be more judicious with the skinny pedal too. I’ve been very happy and @chevymitchell did a phenomenal job with the re-gear.
Sponsored