First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
When are you heading to Windrock? I'm in Chattanooga and may be able to meet up if you want company. Also, have you heard of Adventure Offroad Park in South Pittsburgh, TN? It's 2 hrs from Windrock and 30 min from Chatt and has some great trails...most claim it has more challenging trails than Windrock.
I just added you to the thread for our Windrock trip.

I’ve heard of it, yeah, I’ve just never made it out to TN to wheel.
Sponsored

b1er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon, '18 JL Sport, 1980 El Camino, 1969 Olds 442
That's awesome, man. 4.88's should bring you back to a few more revs thank stock in each gear; noticeable acceleration difference.

I get back from my India/Germany trip next Saturday and I'll get my gears knocked out before I head to Windrock for a couple days of wheeling.
I should've done it sooner... the rpm is maybe a 100 over where it was stock and no more dropping 2 gears in a gust of wind...

jimlove9771

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Retird
I have a JL 2 door automatic with 35’s and Mopar 2” lift and most importantly a Prodigy Stage 2 Turbo Kit. Drove for a while with stock 3.45 ratio. Never got into 8th gear. At 80 mph engine was at 2300 rpm in 7th gear. Acceleration was acceptable (5.11 sec 0-60) but felt like it was struggling. Regeared to 4.88 and performance improved all around. Normal driving has smoother shifting. At 80 mph engine rpm 2600 but in 8th gear. Haven’t tested 0-60 yet but I am certain it will be in at least the mid 4’s! What a sleeper. LOL.

Sponsored

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
So it seems like the overwhelming majority of those going up to 35s are not gear swapping. Why is that? Feel it’s not needed or is it a matter of the cost of the gear swap? I’ll be buying a JLUR and likely going with 35” tires. I’d planned on gearing to 4.56 to restore lost torque and acceleration. Is this not common (new to Jeeps, not gear swaps)?
If it were free, I'd do it tomorrow. The 410s on the Rubicon with 35's and a manual 6spd is pretty tall gearing - 6th gear is almost useless - you are below 2000rpm at 60-65 and it has no torque. And milage doesn't look promising (my motor is not fully broken in yet, but not looking great so far.) And I agree with @Kentano about clutch wear concerns (↑). All that being said, the 410s are really fine around town in gears 1-4 perfect even. It is just 5th & 6th that bog.

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
If it were free, I'd do it tomorrow. The 410s on the Rubicon with 35's and a manual 6spd is pretty tall gearing - 6th gear is almost useless - you are below 2000rpm at 60-65 and it has no torque. And milage doesn't look promising (my motor is not fully broken in yet, but not looking great so far.) And I agree with @Kentano about clutch wear concerns (↑). All that being said, the 410s are really fine around town in gears 1-4 perfect even. It is just 5th & 6th that bog.
Wow maybe I missed it but I don't think I've seen anyone talk about gears in a Rubicon with 35s. I'm running 38s with the automatic and it's fine. I'll be installing 5.13s but would never consider it with 35s.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
I've seen Honda Accords on Black Bear....granted, going down; not up....but still. Even on 37s with stock gears (and a 4:1 tcase low gear) you should have ZERO issues.
Black Bear is not the problem, and going up is not the issue. There are many trails in the San Juan's that do not have a famous name that I can assure you a Honda accord would not survive.

However I did witness some car going down and around the second switchback and that once the car got around it his spotter had to hand him a piece of his car that was torn off by that lovely rock that juts out of that inside corner.

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
Re-gearing for 35s lol.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Re-gearing for 35s lol.
I know right! save your money trust me you don't have to read gear with 410 and 35s.you don't even have to put a lift you don't have to do anything on a JL Rubicon and you can put 35s.if you're talkin about a JL Rubicon you're going to have way too much get-up-and-go it's going to just wrap out and get RPMs too quick. You'll be going down the highway and high RPMs 4 tens is perfect with the 37th and you don't really have to regear to you go to 38s on the Rubicon JL sport that's different

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I've been pretty much all over the San Juans....Maggie and Minnie Gulch and Poughkeepsie come to mind as ones not suitable to an Accord, but there are plenty of passenger sedans cruising the Alpine loop. Most of the area is a regularly graded gravel road with steep sections and the occasional mud hole with a solid, rock base.

As for going the wrong way up Black Bear....just looked into the Telluride Rotary Club's website. I *appears* they haven't done the "Wrong Way" Black Bear pass run since 2010 or so. JFYI.
Interesting I must have read old news about it being done every year. They have a sheriff there that wants to close black bear down period. Maybe a compromise he got was closing down the wrong way run. lol

Taxman7885

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GMC 2500HD, 2018 HD Sport glide, 2018 Oreion Reeper, 2018 Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
I just lifted my 18 JLUR and running 37 Toyo MTs on 20” XD Grenades. Kind of a heavy set up.. seen a lot of talk on the gearing, but it’s mostly regarding the autos. I have the 6- speed. Except now it’s more of a 4 speed haha. 5th is worthless less than 75. Any other manual people seeing the same? Did you re gear up?
Sponsored