Are you re-gearing for larger tires?

• Total voters

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
I’m installing them.

I’d expect 400-600 per axle or 5-7 hours of labor per axle if I were paying someone to do it.
Nice, I watched a video on Dana's website on installing them in a JL and it looked relatively easy. I just don't have a back up vehicle in case it took longer than expected lol
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Nice, I watched a video on Dana's website on installing them in a JL and it looked relatively easy. I just don't have a back up vehicle in case it took longer than expected lol
If a shop has a ton of gear swaps under their belt, they could probably knock both axles out in 4 hours. That’s pretty common. Same day gears, unless they’re backed up, can easily be done. If you do them yourself, start early in the morning and don’t do it on the weekend. If you need any advice or parts, the people you need to talk to will be off work.

b1er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon, '18 JL Sport, 1980 El Camino, 1969 Olds 442
@chevymitchell, updates on performance after install?.... the shop I'm using is trying really hard to steer me to 4.88's when I was originally set on 5.13's... how'd your's turn out?

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
@chevymitchell, updates on performance after install?.... the shop I'm using is trying really hard to steer me to 4.88's when I was originally set on 5.13's... how'd your's turn out?
Gears are still on the shelf. I'm waiting for a day when I can start in the morning and focus. My daughter has been sick, so it's been put off for a bit. Probably next Tuesday or Thursday. I'll definitely update this thread when I get her done.

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Did you ever get a quote from them out the door for both parts and labor?
Sorry man. I thought I replied this morning. I guess not.

I never got a quote from them for both. I had went into this knowing I wasn’t going to use anyone for the labor.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
@chevymitchell I had 4.88's installed yesterday... man what a difference. 8th is back and usable... the folks saying a swap isn't needed are just wrong... I'm a believer now...
That's awesome, man. 4.88's should bring you back to a few more revs thank stock in each gear; noticeable acceleration difference.

I get back from my India/Germany trip next Saturday and I'll get my gears knocked out before I head to Windrock for a couple days of wheeling.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
That's awesome, man. 4.88's should bring you back to a few more revs thank stock in each gear; noticeable acceleration difference.

I get back from my India/Germany trip next Saturday and I'll get my gears knocked out before I head to Windrock for a couple days of wheeling.
When are you heading to Windrock? I'm in Chattanooga and may be able to meet up if you want company. Also, have you heard of Adventure Offroad Park in South Pittsburgh, TN? It's 2 hrs from Windrock and 30 min from Chatt and has some great trails...most claim it has more challenging trails than Windrock.
Sponsored