First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Think the math is closer to 4.88 especially to preserve pinion size. When I spoke to a few off-road shops, they recommended 5.13s to account for the larger mass of 37s plus the weight of aftermarket bumpers, etc. Ultimately, I went against the math and did 5.13s despite the smaller pinion because I wanted the on-road acceleration and do not plan to do any extreme off-roading. Additionally, I will be more judicious with the skinny pedal too. I’ve been very happy and @chevymitchell did a phenomenal job with the re-gear.
yeah he’s a rock star. Been real helpful.

the math method give 4.56 as stock eq; 4.88 is one step down, 5.13 is two. ive had an equal number of experts tell me each, finally solving it by driving a glad with 37/4.88. Local guy will let me drive it next week and that should help.
Sponsored

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
I drove down from Ohio to NC this past weekend in order to have @chevymitchell perform the regear on my JTR, I went with 4.56 as I will not be running tires larger than 35s. The regear with 4.56 were spot on and he is a perfectionist!

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I drove down from Ohio to NC this past weekend in order to have @chevymitchell perform the regear on my JTR, I went with 4.56 as I will not be running tires larger than 35s. The regear with 4.56 were spot on and he is a perfectionist!
Thanks Derek. It was very nice to meet you. I was happy to help Scarlett get her MPG's back. Lol.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Derek. It was very nice to meet you. I was happy to help Scarlett get her MPG's back. Lol.
It was great meeting you as well and gaining a great deal of knowledge, the gas mileage going up will be helpful but the biggest difference is the change in the powerband and to have more usable power at highway speeds and not having it drop 1 or more gears to go up inclines or overpasses. I have no doubt it will help with towing.

Thanks again!!

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JLUR
Spoke to a shop today that has some quite a bit of 4:88 and 5:13 in JLs. He said can’t go wrong with either for my driving habits and 37” tires. Said mpg would be slightly better with 4:88, but will still have some gear hunting here in the hills of WV. Fuel economy is of zero concern for me, and with said, he suggested 5:13 and don’t look back.
I’m also kicking around the idea of a small odd road camper for weekend trips too. He said def 5:13 if that’s the case.
He quoted me $1800 plus tax for Dana spicer gears, plus free 1000 mile fluid change. Thoughts on price?

Sponsored

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Spoke to a shop today that has some quite a bit of 4:88 and 5:13 in JLs. He said can’t go wrong with either for my driving habits and 37” tires. Said mpg would be slightly better with 4:88, but will still have some gear hunting here in the hills of WV. Fuel economy is of zero concern for me, and with said, he suggested 5:13 and don’t look back.
I’m also kicking around the idea of a small odd road camper for weekend trips too. He said def 5:13 if that’s the case.
He quoted me $1800 plus tax for Dana spicer gears, plus free 1000 mile fluid change. Thoughts on price?
That’s a great price.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
my Willys Diesel will get 35s, and i'll be changing the stock 3.73s out for 4.10/4.11s to keep everything spinning at the appropriate RPMs. not worried much about torque (there's *plenty* of that!), but with the lower RPMs of the Diesel, i want to keep everything lubing and cooling itself properly. 4.10/4.11 gets me just a tad lower than original stock, which should work out well with the heavier tire/wheel combo.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
My 20' Rubi 2-door is heavy for a 2-door (hardtop, Warn steel bumpers front and rear, Warn Zeon winch, skid plates, Mopar lift kit with Teraflex IR arms, Steer Smarts full steering setup, TSB iron steering gear, ARB Twin with Grimm mount, extra sound deadening, 35' KO2's on 17"x8.5" wheels, Teraflex Alpha HD tire carrier) and off the line she is fine, can easily light up the tires...However, cruising at 75mph with speed control, on a pretty flat highway, she is almost never in 8th gear...always 7th when I check. As soon as Borla releases their Touring Climber Cat-Back for 2-door JL (very soon) I will install and at the same time do a Livernois tune. The Livernois tune (91 octane) will add some power but also remaps the trans shift points...We will see if that works!

As for gearing, to maintain the stock power band (4.10's with 33" KO2's) would require going to 4.56's on 35" KO2's and actually the 4.56's would give a slight performance increase (power band wise)...One dilemma that has me hesitating on a re-gear is originally my goal was to do a LCG build staying with 35's, so 4.56's would be perfect! But...I have recently seen a couple of 2-door JL's on 37's and damm those looked nice! 37's would mean 4.88's...37's might also mean messing with my suspension which is damm near perfect for me.

On my wish list: 36x12.50R17 Load Range C BFG KO3...When BFG replaces the KO2's. 36's would be a perfect size for 2-door JL's!

Last edited:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Food for thought in a rubicon on 37’s, if you routinely drive 75mph+. The factory 33’s with 4.10’s have your engine at 2,000 rpms at 71 mph. I think most would agree the stock rig holds 8th at 70+ no problem? The 37’s are spinning the same 2,000 rpms at 80mph. Not regearing actually helps highway mpgs for those of us who drive fast regularly. I didn’t even realize that some people weren’t holding 8th gear until I read about it.

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
@ThirtyOne needs to get you a decal that says “Gear God”
No No... Lol. I'm too modest for something like that. It's a little too Egotistical for me. I'll just be the quiet guy in the back helping Jeepers Jeep Jeeply.

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
AML Investigator
Very curious about thoughts and personal experiences with and without regearing for 35s on a Sahara with 3.45 gears. I read every comment in this thread and didn't see a lot of information that was relative to my and I'm sure a lot of others' situations. So any more info or experiences people can provide would be very insightful.

So.. Would you regear a Sahara with 35s, why or why not? And what would you regear it to if you did?
i'm in the same boat. getting ready to lift and put on 35's. I've received a bunch of information. Some say no need to re-gear. Others say 4.10, and a few say 4.56.

To say I'm overwhelmed with information is an understatement.
Sponsored