Kentano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Victoria the Mall Rat
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
OK, I wanted to update this as I said I'd report back after doing a little more offroading.

Around the highway, these gears don't have as much torque as I'd like. On anything but even/downhill surfaces, I need to be in 5th - 4th on steeper grades. 3rd is necessary for passing power under 65MPH - my original assumptions are correct. Gas mileage is also about 15-16MPG highway AND street (tires and lift add a bit of drag).

In short, I think going to 4.10 with 35's would be more comfortable.

Also, I had a chance to offroad a bit and put it in 4lo. On steep inclines with large rocks/rock shelves, I'll stall if I'm not feathering the clutch. The 3.6 is rather gutless under 1400 RPM, so I feel like I'll kiss my clutch good-bye a bit quicker than I originally anticipated. I think 4.10's will help some but ultimately, I think an engine with good torque at low revs will make this the ultimate off-roader.

I'll consider trading for diesel in a few years.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
OK, I wanted to update this as I said I'd report back after doing a little more offroading.

Around the highway, these gears don't have as much torque as I'd like. On anything but even/downhill surfaces, I need to be in 5th - 4th on steeper grades. 3rd is necessary for passing power under 65MPH - my original assumptions are correct. Gas mileage is also about 15-16MPG highway AND street (tires and lift add a bit of drag).

Also, I had a chance to offroad a bit and put it in 4lo. On steep inclines with large rocks/rock shelves, I'll stall if I'm not feathering the clutch. The 3.6 is rather gutless under 1400 RPM, so I feel like I'll kiss my clutch good-bye a bit quicker than I originally anticipated. I think 4.10's will help some but ultimately, I think an engine with good torque at low revs will make this the ultimate off-roader.

Do you have a Sport? 4.10's will make it go big time, my Rubi gets up and goes!

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
So it seems like the overwhelming majority of those going up to 35s are not gear swapping. Why is that? Feel it’s not needed or is it a matter of the cost of the gear swap? I’ll be buying a JLUR and likely going with 35” tires. I’d planned on gearing to 4.56 to restore lost torque and acceleration. Is this not common (new to Jeeps, not gear swaps)?

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
So it seems like the overwhelming majority of those going up to 35s are not gear swapping. Why is that? Feel it’s not needed or is it a matter of the cost of the gear swap? I’ll be buying a JLUR and likely going with 35” tires. I’d planned on gearing to 4.56 to restore lost torque and acceleration. Is this not common (new to Jeeps, not gear swaps)?
I think it is unnecessary going to 35's with this transmission. Heck, I am only going to 4.56 for 37's based on a gearing calculator.

Sponsored

Trailjeepin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Anyone have a sport manual transmission with 3.45’s and 35’s? I have the dana 30 front and 44 rear. Not that it matters.

I’ll be going 35’s soon but not re-gearing until I buy a locker for the rear.

Wondering how it would be. The manual feels great and first is super low (transmission first gear ratio 5.13) Might be ok for awhile.

Last edited:

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Anyone have a sport manual transmission with 3.45’s and 35’s? I have the dana 30 front and 44 rear. Not that it matters.

I’ll be going 35’s soon but not re-gearing until I buy a locker for the rear.

Wondering how it would be. The manual feels great and first is super low 5.13. Might be ok for awhile.
I think 5.13's for 35's would be too low, you would regret that on the highway IMO.

Trailjeepin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
I think 5.13's for 35's would be too low, you would regret that on the highway IMO.
Sorry I meant that the transmission first gear ratio is 5.13. I have yet to stall this thing. Super easy to drive

Kentano

First Name
Kentano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Victoria the Mall Rat
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a Sport? 4.10's will make it go big time, my Rubi gets up and goes!
I have the sport. Ya. I’m hoping rubicon takeoffs hit the forums to regear

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
On a Rubicon I don’t really notice a change going to 37’s. I also live at 7000 ft. So 35’s on a Rubi you will not notice. The only time I might notice a change, is on the highway with a head wind and it will shift from 8th to 6th at times.

Sponsored

Anthimus

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Going 37s without regearing for awhile. Probably will regear 2-3 years down the road when I'm out of warranty.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I've been perfectly happy with the 3.45's and larger tires. It feels faster than my last 2 door JK with 33's and 3.73 gears.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Going to shoot for 2.5 lift and 37s. (At First) My big concern is not going up hill so much. It is going over a 13,000 ft pass and looking at a couple miles of steep down hill crawls. That's when proper gearing really shines ( for me at least.) Want to run to Ouray in August, would like to have 37s and 4:88s to do it up right. Run Black Bear backwards....

CashMonkey

First Name
Rolo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grey 2009 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 5SPDMT Black 2012 Nissan Altima 2.5SL Sedan 6SPDAT
Vehicle Showcase

Nice thanks for the feedback, now I know I'll need to regear when I add 35's. I used a regearing calculator and the result was I needed 4.10, but I didn't want to believe it, until someone with real word experience confirmed it.

Last edited:

matto

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKR 2008, Jeep JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Changed my gears to 4.88 on Toyo 38s and mopar 2" lift. Made the same trip 2 weeks ago and getting a lot better gas millage. I was getting between 6 and 10 mpg before. Now I'm getting almost 15. I also used a Tazer JL to reprogram tire size, gear ratio, and TPMS.
mpg.jpg
Sponsored