Sponsored

Are you concerned about galvanic corrosion?

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Maybe that person was frustrated with being asked for things they can't do. They have rules set for them by management and have to deal with owners and dealers wanting things they can't do. Let me be a Jeep Cares rep and many definitely wouldn't like my answer a lot of the time.
Let me help you with that.. Direct questions get direct answers.. The initial answer you gave, apparently attempting to defend JeepCares, is always better than condescending BS. Thanks
Sponsored

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
Galvanic corrosion is caused by dissimilar metals in contact with each other. Example, stainless steel fasteners into aluminum structures. The result will be the aluminum having corrosion. I have spent the last few years working with our corrosion control shop and have seen many kinds of paint/powder coat failures. Aluminum must have been correctly prepared for any coating. This includes prepping the area, blast to achieve proper anchor tooth and the removal of all oils and other contaminants from the surface. Looking at the pictures I see surface defects called blistering or commonly called bubbling. You can tell if it is corrosion on aluminum if you find a fine white powder under the paint. If you don't see this, then most likely the surface was not prepared properly. We have a strict 4 hour window to go from blast, clean to powder application. Depending on the environmental conditions steel can flash rust quickly and aluminum also can begin to corrode at the surface. Corrosion never sleeps. I looked at my jeep and didn't find any signs of blistering or corrosion, thankfully. It is important to note that once corrosion starts, it will spread. Again the blistering may not be corrosion but poor application of paint treatment. Either way the paint needs to be removed, blasted, cleaned properly and repainted.

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Galvanic corrosion is caused by dissimilar metals in contact with each other. Example, stainless steel fasteners into aluminum structures. The result will be the aluminum having corrosion. I have spent the last few years working with our corrosion control shop and have seen many kinds of paint/powder coat failures. Aluminum must have been correctly prepared for any coating. This includes prepping the area, blast to achieve proper anchor tooth and the removal of all oils and other contaminants from the surface. Looking at the pictures I see surface defects called blistering or commonly called bubbling. You can tell if it is corrosion on aluminum if you find a fine white powder under the paint. If you don't see this, then most likely the surface was not prepared properly. We have a strict 4 hour window to go from blast, clean to powder application. Depending on the environmental conditions steel can flash rust quickly and aluminum also can begin to corrode at the surface. Corrosion never sleeps. I looked at my jeep and didn't find any signs of blistering or corrosion, thankfully. It is important to note that once corrosion starts, it will spread. Again the blistering may not be corrosion but poor application of paint treatment. Either way the paint needs to be removed, blasted, cleaned properly and repainted.
Thank you for the info. Do you work for Jeep?

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No. I work with naval ship repair. Corrosion is a huge problem for our naval vessels and aircraft. Corrosion is the cancer of metal. Some alloys are more prone to corrosion than others. Some aircraft aluminum (7075 T-6) has a real problem with intergrainler corrosion where the corrosion starts inside the metal. Most surface corrosion is easily corrected if acted on quickly.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
FCA was aware of this issue and built a special aluminum paint booth to reduce cross contamination as in post #17. This has been a problem with all vehicles with aluminum parts and will continue to be so. Just like steel car parts for decades with rust. I don't think any Jeep dealer paint shop would be able to strip, clean, prepare and paint any aluminum part in-house.

Sponsored

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
FCA was aware of this issue and built a special aluminum paint booth to reduce cross contamination as in post #17. This has been a problem with all vehicles with aluminum parts and will continue to be so. Just like steel car parts for decades with rust. I don't think any Jeep dealer paint shop would be able to strip, clean, prepare and paint any aluminum part in-house.
How long has the special booth been in operation?

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Let me help you with that.. Direct questions get direct answers.. The initial answer you gave, apparently attempting to defend JeepCares, is always better than condescending BS. Thanks
I had Jeep Cares PM me about an issue last year. We discussed and they sent me a reimbursement check for a few hundred dollars. They really are good people from my limited experience.

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
I had Jeep Cares PM me about an issue last year. We discussed and they sent me a reimbursement check for a few hundred dollars. They really are good people from my limited experience.
Nice.. What was the check reimbursement for?

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is important to note that the application process for paint or powder coat (hot flocking, electro-static, immersion [fluidized bed] rattle can or any other method is only as good as the preparation process and cleaning. We have experimented with the fluidized bed for some products and it allows for a better adhesion of powder. The dry-film thickness (DFT) is generally thicker than spraying. But no matter how good the coating is, if the substat is contaminated you will get defects, blistering, scaling, out gassing, flaking, etc. Bottle line. If you see paint defects contact the dealership immediately.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Excerpt about Ford F-150 aluminum paint corrosion problem:

Ford F-150 peeling paint problems have caused a class action lawsuit that alleges corrosion damages the aluminum hoods, roofs and side panels. In addition, the F-150 paint warranty is allegedly meaningless due to the terms of the warranty.

Plaintiff Tina Nelson owns a 2014 Ford F-150 SuperCrew she purchased in 2016, but in 2018 she noticed the hood, roof and side panel paint was peeling and corroding.

The plaintiff took the truck to a Ford dealership in Oklahoma for it to be repaired and technicians allegedly determined there were problems with the paint primer that caused the paint to peel.

A Ford representative allegedly asked the dealer technician if there was a defect in the paint, but the technician allegedly replied, “It is probably a defect in the primer. The paint doesn’t appear to have adhered to it.”

According to the lawsuit, Ford told the plaintiff no assistance would be provided, even though the plaintiff argues the truck was still within the 5-year extended corrosion warranty.

Nelson says corrosion and peeling paint have exposed the underlying surfaces which will cause even more rust and weakening of the underbody.

According to the class action, the lawsuit includes, "All persons in the United States and its territories who within the applicable statute of limitations period, and as shown by Defendant’s records, purchased or leased a new or used Ford F-150."

Ford manufactured its F-150s for many years using steel bodies but switched to aluminum body panels in the 2000s to decrease the truck's weight and increase fuel economy. According to the plaintiff, Ford's choice has come at a price to F-150 owners who must pay to repair areas where the paint has peeled.

Ford has allegedly known about the paint, primer and corrosion problems for years based on technical service bulletins (TSBs) issued to dealerships.

TSB 04-25-1 was released 2004 for 2004 Ford F-150s:

"Some vehicles may exhibit a bubbling or blistering under the paint on aluminum body parts. This is due to iron contamination of the aluminum panel . . . Ford’s Scientific Research Laboratory has performed a number of tests on vehicle body parts returned for corrosion related concerns. Testing has revealed that the aluminum corrosion was caused by iron particles working their way into the aluminum body party, prior to it being painted."
TSB 06-25-15 was issued in 2006 in which the bulletin warned technicians about aluminum body panel corrosion in 2004-2007 F-150s. Then in 2016, TSB 16-0028 warned about aluminum panel corrosion in 2004-2016 Ford F-150 trucks.

In August 2017, Ford issued TSB 17-0062 for 2002-2017 F-150s that told technicians to replace the corroding aluminum panels.

Another bulletin was issued in February 2019, with TSB 17-0062 covering 2004-2018 Ford F-150s:

"Some 2000 and newer Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles equipped with aluminum body panels may exhibit corrosion concerns appearing as bubbled and/or peeling paint with or without accompanying white dust. Panel replacement is recommended."

Jerolife

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep jl sport
Occupation
Has waste process engineering
I have a hard time believing it's already starting to corrode. Looks more like a defect in the paint.
It’s corrosion. Mine just had two doors repainted under warranty

61CFB540-3A6B-4B93-A4F3-FBECAE6C0A71.jpeg

Jerolife

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep jl sport
Occupation
I should also clarify my post to say that if you're attempting a repair, I'd recommend unbolting the hinge so that the paint or lack thereof probably underneath the hinge could be sanded and repainted, instead of just sanding and painting the hinge as is.

If I had to hazard a guess on what happened: during assembly, the hinge is probably already attached to the door and then painted over, so its anyone's guess whats underneath or more likely that there are contaminates trapped underneath the hinge, such as solution/acid left over from the passivation bath process or something. Then because its a recessed area and the hinge is never removed prior to painting for alignment reasons, whatever's there is now stuck underneath the paint.

If one hinge is unbolted/repaired at a time, you can probably avoid having to realign the door afterwards, but whomever is doing warranty work will probably not care either way.
2FE82FD0-F00B-4501-B051-2F2D9BFC3929.jpeg

F63F7527-6707-4542-BA5B-409A55731344.jpeg

Jerolife

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep jl sport
Occupation
It is back In getting the hood and driver side doors repainted