michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Thanks Buck.

Interestingly it also states "use of 91 or higher octane “premium” gasoline will allow these engines to operate to optimal performance".

Personally, I'd like the optimal performance gained from 91 octane, however, the engine can run safely at 87 octane.

Up to you...
But the supplemental 4xe owner's manual is supposed to take precedence.

I'm just curious over the engineering decisions that went into changing that. Might be as simple as marketing saying, "don't tell hybrid drivers to buy premium"?
Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Fair enough. I'm happy to not repeat inaccurate information.

Help us understand something, though:
Imagine the electric motor exhausting its supply of battery voltage after 25 miles of electric-only driving, thus requiring the 2.0T to step in. How does the hybrid system work where the electric motor can continue to provide its full rating of horsepower and torque to supplement the gas engine, thus giving the driver "the full combined horsepower" that you mention? Genuinely curious here.
Some interesting discussion on the 4xe site, https://www.4xeforums.com/threads/w...he-15-below-1-soc-is-important.239/#post-1681

There is some interesting electrical engineering going on. Lithium ion batteries have a non-linear, low charging resistance around the bottom 15% of their capacity. It's at this point the ICE and regenerative systems can much more rapidly charge the battery with high efficiency. It's just like at the top end where they become harder to charge. The linear range is somewhere around 95 to 15%. It's also likely why e-save mode won't bother above 95% as it would be too costly.

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
I have the 3.6 and use premium, the manual says 87 is the min but to be honest it’s only a few $$$ more per tankful ……

I may be wasting $$$ but hey it’s a Jeep and we spend $$ on it
yes, using premium when 87 is all calls for is a complete waste of money. That's probably what $8/tank

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
I had no idea the 2.0T 4xe called for premium gas, so much for saving money with better mpg over the 3.6

EDIT- nvm seems the 4xe says 87 is fine, where 2.0T non 4xe says 91 octane or greater

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I had no idea the 2.0T 4xe called for premium gas, so much for saving money with better mpg over the 3.6

EDIT- nvm seems the 4xe says 87 is fine, where 2.0T non 4xe says 91 octane or greater
Yes, which is causing much of the confusion on this thread. :)

Sponsored

xtraham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited
My understanding was that the engine computer is set up to run on 87, and anything above that is a waste of money. I've been running 87 on my 3.6 for 2.5 years with no issues...

palumbum

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Renegade Sport

Where are you seeing non 4xe says premium? My 2.0 sport says 87, but optimized for premium for optimal performance. No where does it say it has to be premium

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
Where are you seeing non 4xe says premium? My 2.0 sport says 87, but optimized for premium for optimal performance. No where does it say it has to be premium

People in this thread. No clue if true, i have a 3.6L

oh and yeah, optimized yes. I had an LS1 transam that said same thing. I tried to run 87 and under heavy load it bogged down too much for my liking

Sponsored

Beanner

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Just curious is everyone following the manual and use the premium gas ?
If you use regular will it really cause issues ?
I am. It says to use it and it was $3.02 a gallon this morning too! 😳. But that is what I am sticking to.
Will it cause issues if I don’t? Not sure.

palumbum

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Renegade Sport
Not entirely sure where you guys are getting your information, but this is straight out of my 2020 Manual for the 2.0L. 87 is fine.
Jeep Wrangler JL Are you all using Premium gas ? Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 2.22.06 PM

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
1. Ethanol does not contain as much energy per volume as gas
2. Ethanol is corrosive/harder on fuel system components
3. Ethanol separates out over time and gunks up stuff
Found a station that carried ethanol free at $3.75 gal :( I went ahead and filled up and will try a few tankfuls to see what I get, I doubt the increase in MPG will offset the cost but we will see if I notice any performance boost

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
The 2021 manual for JLUR turbo and the 3.6 say 87 as standard. However fine print says performance is better at 91 in hot weather. We are there now in AZ. 90’s. I tried my first premium 91 tank and I think it gets 1-2mpg better. I notice it does sound a bit quieter.
Jeep Wrangler JL Are you all using Premium gas ? image

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
The 2021 manual for JLUR turbo and the 3.6 say 87 as standard. However fine print says performance is better at 91 in hot weather. We are there now in AZ. 90’s. I tried my first premium 91 tank and I think it gets 1-2mpg better. I notice it does sound a bit quieter.
Yeah, a lot of times, a higher octane is more for preventing performance degradation, like that can occur in high thermal situations towing and/or hot temps, vs. outright better performance.

The other thing to keep in mind, is that the "87 octane" you're getting may not be "good" 87. I've had a lot of high performance vehicles, many with aftermarket tunes/turbos/etc., and tested/logged quite a bit, and there's a bit of variation in the actual octane vs. the labeled octane (for example, around here, I noted that Sunoco has consistently right on the numbers 93).

So like an 89 might build in a little margin-of-error for the octane.
Sponsored