Sponsored

Are you a good driver?

How would you rate your general driving skill?

• Not quite average

• Average

• Better than average

• Much better than average

• Mario-friggin-Andretti

Results are only viewable after voting.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
The discussion of the new 392 got me thinking about driving skills, how we assess ourselves, and what I’ve observed over the years...

Please rate your driving skill before reading the thread.

Our family had a ranch, so I started driving a small tractor when I was just seven years old. The tractor had a manual transmission and a wagon, so I learned how to back a trailer well before I was nine. Then my dad taught me to drive the old “three on the tree” pickup when I was ten. By the time I was twelve I was completely comfortable driving anything around the ranch, including bigger trucks. I thought I had the whole driving thing down. We had dirt bikes too and, like most kids, I rode like an idiot. My friends and I tried to race anything and jump everything., so I knew I was squared away there too. By the time I was in my early twenties I felt like I’d been driving and riding my whole life, and I’d done it in every kind of weather. I had survived a lot, thank God... I rated my driving skill and confidence level at a ”9”, on a scale of 1 to 10.

Then I got my first formal driver training with the help of seasoned instructors, controlled slick conditions, and skid cars. I learned that I was a poor driver and didn’t know squat. What I had learned from a very young age was a long list of bad habits that were extremely difficult to break. I had a similar experience when I went through motorcycle training — mostly bad habits, including bad posture, poor vision habits, poor line discipline, and bad timing on acceleration and braking. Fortunately for my ego, most of the guys I was training with, mostly in their mid twenties to mid thirties, we’re crappy drivers who thought they were great drivers too, so we were all humbled as a group. We took turns missing gates, driving over cones, spinning out, and “going farming”. (Blowing off the track and leaving wheel trenches out through the field.)

That was years ago, and my driving has improved quite a bit through training and experience. Today I’d give myself a solid “5” on that scale of 1 to 10. I’m not an Andretti, but I can drive with some safety margin under pretty challenging conditions. I still love horsepower and speed too, but I’m not sure what I’d do with a 400 horsepower Jeep other than love the sound. Based on the driving (and crashing) I see every day, I’m not too excited to see my neighbor, his wife, or his kid driving a 400 hp anything, or even a 200 horsepower anything... but I respect their right to buy what they want.

My sense is that almost everybody thinks they‘re good drivers. Heck, my Mom still thought she was a good driver in her mid 80s, when her thrashed Carmy had about six different colors of paint transfer on it and dents in every quarter panel. By that time she was driving by Braille, I think, but she had no idea... that’s when we took her license away...:CWL::LOL:
Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I suspect the theme will be I'm a great driver but everyone else sucks. In my case that's actually true :)

In CO everyone is glued to their phones at all times. It's infuriating driving anywhere. I blame CO for making me hate driving (something I've loved my whole life)

ERP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla P85D, BMW M4 Convertible, Lotus Elise Track Car, 20' JLUR
Occupation
New Product & Automation Engineer
I suspect a majority of voters will be from Lake Wobegon; where all the drivers are above average.

OP
OP
Whaler27

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
In CO everyone is glued to their phones at all times. It's infuriating driving anywhere. I blame CO for making me hate driving (something I've loved my whole life)

Yep. That’s not unique to Colorado. Many states have made using an electronic device while driving illegal. In Oregon if you keep doing that the offense becomes a crime. and offenders are subject to arrest. I’m amazed that texting while driving isn’t punished in every state, as there’s ample evidence it’s killing a lot of people.

Last summer I came up on a pickup on the interstate that was driving seven miles per hour below the speed limit, while the traffic flow was about ten mph OVER the limit. He was swerving all over the road. He left the travel lane and crossed all the way over the rumble strips twice. I thought he was a drunk, but when I pulled next to him I saw he had a breakfast sandwich in his left hand, a drink in his right hand, and he was using the inside of his forearms pressed against the wheel to steer. He also had a small TV strapped to the dash above the wheel and he was watching a morning news show. You can’t make this stuff up.

There are millions of people competing for the annual Darwin Awards, and they’re out there in the mix trying to take us out with them!

OP
OP
Whaler27

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I suspect a majority of voters will be from Lake Wobegon; where all the drivers are above average.
Yes!

What I have found is almost nobody is “below average” which, of course, is impossible.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Starting at age 6, I was heavily exposed to everything from quads and dirt/street bikes to payloaders, 50-100 ton lattice boom friction cranes, and non synchro 13-speed cab over tractor trailers. My father would adjust the drivers/operators seat to where I could stand in front of it and lean back into the seat pad, to reach both the pedals and the steering wheel/control levers. There was absolutely zero tolerance for anything shy of complete respect and seriousness. By the time I was 10, a number of seasoned gentlemen in various industries were commenting me for showing more talent and smoothness than most of their coworkers.

I'm now 40, and a lot of years of handling high amounts of torque has not been wasted. Just because its there, doesn't mean it must be used all the time. But knowing its there and waiting to be tapped into when needed, is definitely nice.

If I end up with a 392 Rubi, my driving style will be like the phrase "speak softly and carry a big stick".

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I say I am good, but mostly from training. I am 48 and it's been less than two years since I have taken extended courses. Last decade has been mostly dedicated to motorcycles, but some of the skills and habits transfer.

I am watching my friend's C8 order to see how long it takes and seriously considering one. There will be track days if I drop myself in one of those since everything fast I have had pales in comparison.

OP
OP
Whaler27

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
There are undoubtedly some great drivers on this board, and I’ve never wished for less power whether I could use it competently or not, but what’s most interesting to me is the general human inability to accurately self-assess. I think the results would be the same on any forum... almost everybody considers themselves to be some level of better than average. At least half of them have to be wrong.

The second piece is the assessment of how safe/competent an “average” American driver really is. Based on my experience, I’d say not very competent — and completely unaware of when they are driving beyond their ability. Traction control has made modern vehicles much more forgiving of crappy driving technique, so people are crashing at higher speeds. Again, Darwin at work.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
These type of polls are an interesting exercise.... Our "self rating" is always biased because we only see the question from our own limited perspective.

Another interesting poll would be our opinion of other drivers. I'm not talking about technical abilities, but about daily driving safety/courtesy on the streets with other people. This is a completely different question.

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
"driving skills" per se can be all over the board.

Everyday driving on the streets (daily driving) - I would consider excellent.
Off-roading on your basic dirt terrain - Excellent
Rock-crawling - Fairly new but probably average
Race track with a street car - Maybe a little above average.
Bad weather driving in snow and rain - Probably above average growing up in a ski town I only learned how to drive that way.
Driving at night - average, I hate it.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
These type of polls are an interesting exercise.... Our "self rating" is always biased because we only see the question from our own limited perspective.

Another interesting poll would be our opinion of other drivers. I'm not talking about technical abilities, but about daily driving safety/courtesy on the streets with other people. This is a completely different question.
This is what I’m thinking. I’m a decent driver with some good qualifications, but I think almost everybody else drives like a dumbass, which probably means everyone thinks I drive like a dumbass.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
I put above average due to yearly evoc training. The training is with SUV's, so somewhat similar though the wrangler 392 has more horses, torque, sits higher and has worse tires for high horsepower lol.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I picked Better Than Average, just based upon what I see compared to other drivers on my daily commute LOL. I drive defensively, and can often predict what types of stupidity will happen in other vehicles around me (lane hopping, distracted driving, etc.) based on watching my mirrors and driver behavior...years of driving in a very crowded metropolitan area (in and around NYC) forces you to develop these habits or you get hit. I got my license 30 years ago and quite a few of my early daily drivers were '80s GM G-bodies; RWD, small V8, no traction control, ABS, or anything like that to help out in a snow storm. I've owned a couple of cars with over 350 hp; years ago I built a Monte Carlo SS with a fuel-injected and cammed 350 mated to a 5-speed manual with 3.73s and a Powertrax locker; if you were not careful on the street, that locker would send you into a spin if you matted the Go pedal from a dead stop around a turn. The car taught me to respect power and use it wisely. My last daily driver before the JL was a 5.7 Charger R/T (370 hp), and while I miss the power, I think putting even more than that in a JLU is asking for trouble because a JLU certainly isn't going to handle like a Charger.

I can honestly say I would not consider myself anything close to an expert on a trail; I've only taken the 101 Course with OffRoad Consulting so far. I'm definitely looking forward to building my skills offroad.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Everyone thinks they are "above average" until they mess up. Then it is somebody's else fault!
Sponsored