Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Bought an RTIC 65 in 2018 for around $160. Looks like price has increased a lot since then. At $160, it's definitely worth it. Also have the RTIC backpack cooler, which we love for a a day at the beach. Then we bought soft pack 20 for day trips that need less. Then bought the RTIC tote bag for the beach as well, works perfect for us.

RTIC should pay me as a sponsor when I go on trips, I always have one or more with me. I paid less than current prices for everything, so I either got them at the right time or on sale. Their stuff is great, and if you can get it when they go on sale, I highly recommend all of their coolers. Our hard cooler has kept ice for 5 days in 70 degree weather, even with opening it constantly. The soft coolers are better for day trips, they're not going to keep ice for very long.

We also won a Yeti Tundra Haul in a raffle. It is smaller than our RTIC, so it gets used less. The wheels also prevent it from fitting in my cargo carrier. I should sell it, but it does get occasional use because the wheels make it so convenient. I also used to have the Yeti Hopper 30 (old version), and it was absolutely awful. So awful that they don't even sell that version anymore. I sold it, then bought the RTIC backpack cooler.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Bought an RTIC 65 in 2018 for around $160. Looks like price has increased a lot since then. At $160, it's definitely worth it.
You must have gotten a heck of a deal on a promo or something then. I got my RTIC 45 back in 2015 for $175 after pre-ordering it.

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
You must have gotten a heck of a deal on a promo or something then. I got my RTIC 45 back in 2015 for $175 after pre-ordering it.
I can't remember exactly, and I had to check my old order email to look at what I paid ($163). It was purchased around Christmas, so I'm assuming it was a holiday sale. I do get emails regularly from them announcing sales, usually tumblers and the like, but occasionally coolers.

OP
OP
Fusilli Jerry

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
What type and size you looking for? The hard sided 20 and 45 are saying ships by 8/26, so may ship even sooner...

https://rticoutdoors.com/shop/coolers/roto-molded/RTIC-45-Tan
I was looking for 60-70...nothing available, they're on backorder. Just an hour ago I decided to go with a Cabela's 60 qt, since it's American-made and had great reviews, and less expensive than a Yeti. The 60 looks to be the perfect size for me right now.

I probably would've gone with the RTIC 65, it would've saved me $60. But I was able to inspect and take home the Cab's today, so I went with that instead.

Thanks for all the great replies though! I learned a lot about coolers, let me tell you...:)

Sponsored

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase

https://www.kongcoolers.com/

I wanted a yeti for a long time but when it actually came down to purchase one I did some research and watched many videos, and Kong coolers is what I decided on. Made in the USA plus they give military discount as well.

As stated before there are many of these types of coolers that are better now than a Yeti. I like when a product has competition because now there are many options.

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The Wire Cutter, a reliable review site, tested 40 coolers based on recommendations from off-roaders, boaters, and other outdoors types. The review is detailed, technical, and very informative.

In short, Coleman 70 Quart Coastal Xtreme Series Marine Cooler is best for most people, and RTIC 65 is top for the kind of rough, long trips you and I like.

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't read through all of the posts here, so sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I think a better bang for the buck is Orca coolers.

BernMason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting-gray w/ Turbocharged 2.0 L DOHC I4
Occupation
PM
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered RTIC 110 for upcoming 10-day backcountry jaunt in Black Hills & Front Range. Ordered off site, took advantage of deal I found online. Spoke to customer service to confirm availability/delivery date. Arrives this week. I will update with review. The *plan* is to pre-cool and use divider/ice packs in addition to cube ice.

Interested to see how this goes.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Everyone should know about the test on YouTube when I tested them against the other brands and they weren't his good or at the most equal and you spend more money a $250 yeti ice chest is a $50 ice chest with the $200 bumper sticker think about it who else gives you a bumper sticker with an ice chest yeti so you can advertise cool look at me I have a yeti

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fusilli Jerry

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
Ordered RTIC 110 for upcoming 10-day backcountry jaunt in Black Hills & Front Range. Ordered off site, took advantage of deal I found online. Spoke to customer service to confirm availability/delivery date. Arrives this week. I will update with review. The *plan* is to pre-cool and use divider/ice packs in addition to cube ice.

Interested to see how this goes.
It works. I did this over the past weekend, but with a Cabela's (same design) and put 4 bags of ice in the 60qt, along with 2 of the large Igloo ice blocks. I put them in about 24 hours before I left, and then emptied the ice bags (after I smashed them up with a 2x4). They'd hardly melted in the bag beforehand.

So i'd filled up the cooler with the ice and when I returned home about 24 hours after leaving, there was only about an inch or so of water at the bottom. Ice held up great.

Project that out for a 3-5 day stay, and you'll retain ice really well.

BernMason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting-gray w/ Turbocharged 2.0 L DOHC I4
Occupation
PM
Vehicle Showcase
It works. I did this over the past weekend, but with a Cabela's (same design) and put 4 bags of ice in the 60qt, along with 2 of the large Igloo ice blocks. I put them in about 24 hours before I left, and then emptied the ice bags (after I smashed them up with a 2x4). They'd hardly melted in the bag beforehand.

So i'd filled up the cooler with the ice and when I returned home about 24 hours after leaving, there was only about an inch or so of water at the bottom. Ice held up great.

Project that out for a 3-5 day stay, and you'll retain ice really well.
Awesome! Thank you for your beta and definitely going to follow similar method. I was wondering about ice volume etc. and you addressed that. Why did you go with the Cabela's over every other brand, if I might ask?

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Yeti is way overrated
Sponsored