Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Yea or Nay? I'm thinking about getting one for a fishing trip next month. Or possibly a competitor like Pelican or Orca. Do they really retain ice better than a cheap-o Coleman?
Well you need to make sure that cooler has a solid front axle.........
Sponsored

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Well you need to make sure that cooler has a solid front axle.........
I hear the Ford Independent Freezing System (IFS) gives better iceticulation. It gets a chilly reception around here though...

Dballer

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Just bought a Cordova cooler. I like the handles better. Solid steel secondary handle that also acts as a bottle opener. The tabs are also flipped which I think makes a whole lot more sense. They are also cheaper than yetis. If you find a coupon or sale you can get it for about 66% the cost of a yeti cooler of a similar volume

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I hear the Ford Independent Freezing System (IFS) gives better iceticulation. It gets a chilly reception around here though...
The 2.0 Turbo version has incredible torque-ice but the V-6 version keeps it colder longer.

morph860

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 4xe's (Rubicon X and Grand Cherokee Anniv.)
I have a Roadie 24 and it works well. I don't think it's worth $200, but I had a gift card that was burning a hole in my pocket. Have a few Yeti mugs and I'm happy with those too.

Cordova Coolers is another brand to check out if you're looking for a Yeti alternative.

Sponsored

Mane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner LTD
I have an ORCA 58. It's huge, heavy, durable and keeps ice for what seems like forever. It's also got a sweet pocket on the back which is a nice touch and unlike a Yeti is a true 58 qts. Importantly (for me, YMMV), the Orca is taller than the other coolers in the same size class, and will allow for bottles of white wine to stand upright with the lid closed. Y'know, if that kind of thing matters to you.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
The 2.0 Turbo version has incredible torque-ice but the V-6 version keeps it colder longer.
But sadly, the Enhanced Sleet Setup (ESS) often annoys owners. FCA advises them to just chill out...

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
But sadly, the Enhanced Sleet Setup (ESS) often annoys owners. FCA advises them to just chill out...
ALL DAY LONG............

morph860

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 4xe's (Rubicon X and Grand Cherokee Anniv.)
Others have already mentioned this, but the downside to those premium coolers is definitely the weight.
And the price. I would buy a bigger one, but I mainly use a larger cooler for things like tailgating. Wouldn't want to leave a $300+ cooler in the back of a pickup truck while I was in the stadium.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly..large cooler can't be secured. I ONLY use a 65+ qt when needed and its rarely needed. You have to tell use your intended use and size def matters lol.

Sponsored

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
I used to use a lifetime. Yeti isn't true to size. I just bought a dometic cfx3 55im. I never thought I'd "need" a fridge. Same size as the lifetime 55, BUT, since you dont need ice, lots more room! I can't get over the convenience of it. No reaching into ice to get something down at the bottom. Having staples ready to go really stretches out your meals. Super efficient. After having the fridge for 4 months, I can't go back. The weight is the same too if you count the weight of the ice.

I haven't used my cooler since. But the lifetime 55 was $80 and kept ice for about 4 days. I wouldn't personally spend 300 bucks for something that doesn't self cool. Got the dometic for 20 percent off during rei sale.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bocephus1963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon. 1976 K5 Blazer. 1995 S10 Blazer 4wd
Occupation
Forklift Operator
I actually did quite a bit of reading on the subject. Read every online comparison i could find, and of all the major brands including Orca, Canyon Cooler, Yeti, etc., the two top coolers were the Yeti and the Cabelas Polar Cap Equalizer. These held ice the longest in all the tests I researched. I actually went with the Cabelas Polar Cap 60qt Cooler because it was a little cheaper than the Yeti and I caught it on sale so saved even more. Very happy with it so far.

20190714_081606.jpg

Rocktwizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Coleman 52qt Xtreme... Ice lasts longer than gasoline anyway, where I buy another 5lb bag and drain the water. Even with kids opening it and just staring half the day. Plenty of ice for a 4 day rubicon trip.

G.D.S. 4x4

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Hardrock 2dr '19 JL Rubi
Occupation
Old Jeeper not gonna say how long!
I bought Yeti 42 Qt. in 2015, at the time they were the only game. First trip to Moab I put in a 5 lb. block and touched it up with cube ice for drinks a couple times. Went 8 days and still had about a 1 Qt. piece in the bottom. Only opened twice maybe 3 times a day....that is the key! Are they pricey ? Yes . Was it worth it then ? Yes. I would shop now .

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91MJ,90XJ,91XJ,05,LJ,05JT
I used to use a lifetime. Yeti isn't true to size. I just bought a dometic cfx3 55im. I never thought I'd "need" a fridge. Same size as the lifetime 55, BUT, since you dont need ice, lots more room! I can't get over the convenience of it. No reaching into ice to get something down at the bottom. Having staples ready to go really stretches out your meals. Super efficient. After having the fridge for 4 months, I can't go back. The weight is the same too if you count the weight of the ice.

I haven't used my cooler since. But the lifetime 55 was $80 and kept ice for about 4 days. I wouldn't personally spend 300 bucks for something that doesn't self cool. Got the dometic for 20 percent off during rei sale.
I got a Lifeline one after going through the search for "best" coolers over a year ago. After buying new f###### cooler every few years, I broke down and bought 12-24v /120 electric fridge/ freezer early this year. Why the hell did I waste all the time and money on not getting it years ago! It's home is in my JT!!! I bought 2 of the junk thermo 12volt coolers years long ago that had me jaded on them. One premium ice chest ok for fishing or hunting trip to haul catch / harvest in with dry ice maybe but as a cooler no more (only reason is to sanitized and clean blood out). Set the temp after plugging in and go, if I get 3 plus years out of the one I bought it's paid for it's self and more. More than any dang cooler has or will.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator: