Sponsored

Are Xtreme Recon crate axles w/ 4:56 gears available from the factory yet?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely aluminum knuckles - I took em off myself and an easy one arm lift ;)

As for the tube thickness I installed RCV axle tube seals so the ID is defiantly the same. I guess the OD could be marginally bigger but they certainly did not appear that way and the MC diff skids fit fine with the rear using U-bolts over the axle tubes so if OD was bigger those would not fit, and they slid right over like they always fit.

I will measure next time I see that Jeep - probably he will join us wheeling next weekend.

The only thing at all different was the oil drain missing and that appears they simply did not machine and tap it.

PS: This was a 3.6, perhaps the 392's get beefier axle tubes and the iron knuckles?
Thanks for clarifying. I thought everyone was reporting cast iron knuckles on all XRs 🤷‍♂️. That was definitely one of the assumed advantages for the $4K price tag.
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Thanks for clarifying. I thought everyone was reporting cast iron knuckles on all XRs 🤷‍♂️. That was definitely one of the assumed advantages for the $4K price tag.
Interesting I'll email the owner and ask him to check into that; but I even asked my son who got all the take offs organized and he said they were lightweight.

Demon 2048

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR with Extreme Rubicon option
My new XR has cast iron knuckles. Also has CV joints not U-joints because of the HD Transfer Case option. FYI.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
My new XR has cast iron knuckles. Also has CV joints not U-joints because of the HD Transfer Case option. FYI.
This one had u-joints as no full time 4WD option. But the knuckles have me curious.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
This one had u-joints as no full time 4WD option. But the knuckles have me curious.
Maybe since they are black everyone is assuming cast not aluminum. Curious also

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
These were not painted, cast aluminum just like on my JLUR before I put Reids on it.
That's odd, as the other ones that I've seen photos of were definitely painted black, even with the U-joints. I wonder if his slipped through or something?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
That's odd, as the other ones that I've seen photos of were definitely painted black, even with the U-joints. I wonder if his slipped through or something?
Update 1:

Regional Jeep rep has said "I looked and we do not specifically state the material and type of knuckles as part of the XR package. Let me see what I can find out."

Update 2:

Regional Jeep rep "I looked into it and the HD axle is supposed to include the iron knuckles but due to supply chain issues some have shipped with the standard knuckles. I will arrange for your dealership to swap them out for you."

to which "I already swapped them" was owner response.

Regional Jeep rep "All I can do is authorize parts and replacement; I can't give you a credit or refund."

Resolution:

Dealership will get the knuckles shipped to them. Owner will drop off aluminum knuckles and pickup the iron knuckles. And likely list them for sale. ETA is 8 to 10 weeks!!

Interesting tidbit:

If you have an XR or 392 check your knuckles!! Both those come with the HD axle package and should have iron knuckles that are painted black. If you don't contact the dealership or Jeep rep to get it sorted out. I am sure it's happened to others who may not even know!

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Update 1:

Regional Jeep rep has said "I looked and we do not specifically state the material and type of knuckles as part of the XR package. Let me see what I can find out."

Update 2:

Regional Jeep rep "I looked into it and the HD axle is supposed to include the iron knuckles but due to supply chain issues some have shipped with the standard knuckles. I will arrange for your dealership to swap them out for you."

Regional Jeep rep "All I can do is authorize parts and replacement; I can't give you a credit or refund."

Resolution:

Dealership will get the knuckles shipped to them. Owner will drop off aluminum knuckles and pickup the iron knuckles. And likely list them for sale. ETA is 8 to 10 weeks!!

Interesting tidbit:

If you have an XR or 392 check your knuckles!! Both those come with the HD axle package and should have iron knuckles that are painted black. If you don't contact the dealership or Jeep rep to get it sorted out. I am sure it's happened to others who may not even know!
Now I wonder if there was anything else that was swapped out due to supply. Like maybe the entire front housing? Maybe there is something to people saying that the tubes are different as well.

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Update 1:

Update 2:

Resolution:

Interesting tidbit:

Wow. That is strange. Glad to see they are going to make it right.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Now I wonder if there was anything else that was swapped out due to supply. Like maybe the entire front housing? Maybe there is something to people saying that the tubes are different as well.
Could be. We just need to measure some XR tube ID's as well as standard Rubi's and post them to see if differences.

My standard 2019 Rubi is 70.3mm diameter front, and 80.2mm diameter rear.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Good point Dusty. Curious if this is a one off error for this one only. You could be correct about axle being completely wrong 🤷‍♂️

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Wow. That is strange. Glad to see they are going to make it right.
I was looking but with the JLUD's came out some guys were getting them with the steel knuckles and some with aluminum I saw on here as well.

I wonder if that was a similar issue.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Could be. We just need to measure some XR tube ID's as well as standard Rubi's and post them to see if differences.

My standard 2019 Rubi is 70.3mm diameter front, and 80.2mm diameter rear.
I thought I read rear same. Front is same as Mojave JT and 392s with a wall thickness of 10mm vs 7.3. Curious if true or not on all XRs.
Sponsored