Sponsored

Are Xtreme Recon crate axles w/ 4:56 gears available from the factory yet?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Did a search w/out luck :(
If so, part #s and price???
TIA :)
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
They will be but probably a bit early for them to show up. Like the Mohave knuckles it took a month or two.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
They will be but probably a bit early for them to show up. Like the Mohave knuckles it took a month or two.
Would be a bummer if I got crate axles w/ 4:10s and the 4:56 setup was only a little bit more, I also heard the axles were heavy duty as well, not sure about that though.

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
From what my service writer/advisor said it wouldn’t be until June of 2022.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
From what my service writer/advisor said it wouldn’t be until June of 2022.
Thanks, gives me time to get more cash together and get the wife on board. I'm guessing the 4:88 setup should also be available, probably the best way to go if the price is the same.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Thanks, gives me time to get more cash together and get the wife on board. I'm guessing the 4:88 setup should also be available, probably the best way to go if the price is the same.
I have no idea how much these actually cost, so I’m sincerely asking. Aren’t there way better/stronger options out there for around the same price point?

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have no idea how much these actually cost, so I’m sincerely asking. Aren’t there way better/stronger options out there for around the same price point?
The regular Rubicon crate axles seem to be in the $1900 range for the rear and $2300 for the front. Not sure on the shipping cost specifics so that's another thing to factor in. Used Rubicon sets are in the $4k range plus shipping but these usually include brakes, but you have no idea on the condition of the parts other than faith :(

If these Recon axles can be had for a small premium w/ much better gear options (and like I mentioned, I've heard they're HD setups) it would be worth consideration.

What sets have you seen that are comparable or better for that price range??

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
The regular Rubicon crate axles seem to be in the $1900 range for the rear and $2300 for the front. Not sure on the shipping cost specifics so that's another thing to factor in. Used Rubicon sets are in the $4k range plus shipping but these usually include brakes, but you have no idea on the condition of the parts other than faith :(

If these Recon axles can be had for a small premium w/ much better gear options (and like I mentioned, I've heard they're HD setups) it would be worth consideration.

What sets have you seen that are comparable or better for that price range??
There is nothing different with these axles, except the gear ratio, from ordinary Rubicon axles.

The JL Rubicon axle and brakes were referred to as "Heavy Duty" over the "standard duty" Dana 35 used in other models. These "HD" parts are also used in a couple other models offered after the original JL release.

How do I know this? I just helped swap:
  • RCV 2 piece axles
  • RCV axle seals
  • Dyntrack balljoints
  • Reid knuckles
  • Metalcoak steering linkage (don't like this setup)
  • Metalcloak diff covers/diff skids/FAD skid
  • Metalcloak track bars
  • Metalcloak lower offset front shock mounts
  • Metalcloak adjustable control arms
  • Synergy rear trackbar frame brace
  • Rusty's front trackbar/steering brace
  • Grimm front and rear stainless and longer brake lines
  • Fox JK ATS steering stabilizer
  • Tazer Mini (for the bigger tires coming)
This went onto a brand new JLUR XR yesterday as the owner is going to 37's this week (KO2 C rated from new Raptor - looking forward to seeing these tires as on my list for when my 35's wear out).

I did most of the front axle/suspension work and really poked around looking for differences and nothing found except no drain plug on the pumpkin.

Like the Mopar lift the XR seems to take some short cuts on suspension geometry that are an easy quick fix. What was surprising is it drove and looked a shit-ton better as put the wheels center of the wheel wells, caster at 6.0 (was around 3.5 factory), and the track bars sorted out 5/8" of axle offset.

Owner promised to post a build thread here so stay tuned....

Oh yeah - also I questioned why the stainless brake lines as extra work to bleed the system and the factory ones work just fine at this lift height. But I was really wrong on this as I drove my Jeep right after his and could not believe how much difference these lines made. I ordered a set this morning.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
There is nothing different with these axles, except the gear ratio, from ordinary Rubicon axles.

The JL Rubicon axle and brakes were referred to as "Heavy Duty" over the "standard duty" Dana 35 used in other models. These "HD" parts are also used in a couple other models offered after the original JL release.

How do I know this? I just helped swap:
  • RCV 2 piece axles
  • RCV axle seals
  • Dyntrack balljoints
  • Reid knuckles
  • Metalcoak steering linkage (don't like this setup)
  • Metalcloak diff covers/diff skids/FAD skid
  • Metalcloak track bars
  • Metalcloak lower offset front shock mounts
  • Metalcloak adjustable control arms
  • Synergy rear trackbar frame brace
  • Rusty's front trackbar/steering brace
  • Grimm front and rear stainless and longer brake lines
  • Fox JK ATS steering stabilizer
  • Tazer Mini (for the bigger tires coming)
This went onto a brand new JLUR XR yesterday as the owner is going to 37's this week (KO2 C rated from new Raptor - looking forward to seeing these tires as on my list for when my 35's wear out).

I did most of the front axle/suspension work and really poked around looking for differences and nothing found except no drain plug on the pumpkin.

Like the Mopar lift the XR seems to take some short cuts on suspension geometry that are an easy quick fix. What was surprising is it drove and looked a shit-ton better as put the wheels center of the wheel wells, caster at 6.0 (was around 3.5 factory), and the track bars sorted out 5/8" of axle offset.

Owner promised to post a build thread here so stay tuned....

Oh yeah - also I questioned why the stainless brake lines as extra work to bleed the system and the factory ones work just fine at this lift height. But I was really wrong on this as I drove my Jeep right after his and could not believe how much difference these lines made. I ordered a set this morning.
Thanks for that detailed reply John, you've been quite the busy bee! So maybe when these are available they won't be a premium over the standard Rubicon sets. If that's the case having that 4:88 ratio would be a nice "one & done" deal.

FWIW I still can't believe 4 model years later they're still shipping Rubicons w/ that pathetic caster when they have the fix stacked in their part bins :(

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I think ultimate dana 44 with lockers for a little extra money, or dynatrac. Good point!

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I think ultimate dana 44 with lockers for a little extra money, or dynatrac. Good point!
What’s a “little” extra money though ? $4200 retail (which likely means mid high 3’s wholesale) is a pretty solid deal considering take offs sell for nearly the same price, and you’ll be able to get 4.56 or 4.88.

A pro rock 44 granted very strong up front is $6k by itself optioned appropriately and the ultimate 44 is $5k. So IMO it’s more than a little extra. It’s going to be nearly double the price if you add the stronger rear, too. At that point just go to 60’s.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What’s a “little” extra money though ? $4200 retail (which likely means mid high 3’s wholesale) is a pretty solid deal considering take offs sell for nearly the same price, and you’ll be able to get 4.56 or 4.88.

A pro rock 44 granted very strong up front is $6k by itself optioned appropriately and the ultimate 44 is $5k. So IMO it’s more than a little extra. It’s going to be nearly double the price if you add the stronger rear, too. At that point just go to 60’s.
Yeah, if I can get the funds together and the wife to go for it the regular 44s w/ 4:88 gearing seems like the most I'd need. I'm not planning for any serious black diamond trails, I'm just wanting to add lockers, stronger axles & gears, and the gearing to run 37s down the road or even more get up w/ the 35s I'm adding next month. Having a 2dr I really want to keep my center of gravity as low as possible, so 37s may be out, but at least I'd have more options w/ the 4:88s.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Thanks for that detailed reply John, you've been quite the busy bee! So maybe when these are available they won't be a premium over the standard Rubicon sets. If that's the case having that 4:88 ratio would be a nice "one & done" deal.

FWIW I still can't believe 4 model years later they're still shipping Rubicons w/ that pathetic caster when they have the fix stacked in their part bins :(
Wasn't too bad - I was on the front, another experienced guy on the rear; and 3 new owners learning how to work on jeeps. Plus my son helping on keeping things clean and organized.

I am really surprised Jeep has not used those Mopar LCA on the Rubi and these XR's. For the amount of lift they come with they need longer arms; and certainly the track bars.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Yeah, if I can get the funds together and the wife to go for it the regular 44s w/ 4:88 gearing seems like the most I'd need. I'm not planning for any serious black diamond trails, I'm just wanting to add lockers, stronger axles & gears, and the gearing to run 37s down the road or even more get up w/ the 35s I'm adding next month. Having a 2dr I really want to keep my center of gravity as low as possible, so 37s may be out, but at least I'd have more options w/ the 4:88s.
Yep you’ll be good with those on 37’s I’d imagine. People somehow are making these stay alive running 40’s— not sure how but nonetheless they are.
Sponsored