Sponsored

Are Xtreme Recon crate axles w/ 4:56 gears available from the factory yet?

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I thought I read rear same. Front is same as Mojave JT and 392s with a wall thickness of 10mm vs 7.3. Curious if true or not on all XRs.
See, that is what I heard as well. That the XR should have the same axle as the Mojave. If so then Oceanblue, you buddy might be F'd on more than some knuckles he wasn't planning on using anyway.
Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking but with the JLUD's came out some guys were getting them with the steel knuckles and some with aluminum I saw on here as well.

I wonder if that was a similar issue.
I just pinged Jeep product guy on FB to see if can confirm or deny front axle specs for XR. Basically asked if tube wall is thicker and is cast iron knuckles standard on all XRs. Will report back if I receive a response. 👍🏻

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I just pinged Jeep product guy on FB to see if can confirm or deny front axle specs for XR. Basically asked if tube wall is thicker and is cast iron knuckles standard on all XRs. Will report back if I receive a response. 👍🏻
He responded. All XRs should have HD front axle with thicker tube walls and cast iron knuckles.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
He responded. All XRs should have HD front axle with thicker tube walls and cast iron knuckles.
@oceanblue2019 Hey John, the guy also said he would be concerned the wrong front axle was installed. He brought up good point I didn’t even think about. The gear ratio may not be correct either if wrong (standard Rubi) front axle was installed in error.

can we get the guy to take pic of part number label on axle?

Sponsored

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
@blnewt Brad, sorry for taking thread off track
It's still on track, it's not like you threw pics of angry grills or talk about 24" wheels or some BS, it's all related to the topic at hand and I'm picking up good stuff along the way, so thanks!

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
A Jeep thread getting sidetracked? NEVER!

@hoag4147 that thought was in the back of my mind too, but I didn't want to speak it into existence. Hopefully we are wrong about that and they at least threw the right set of gears into it so that it doesn't destroy the transfer case the first time it's shifted to 4wd.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
@oceanblue2019 Hey John, the guy also said he would be concerned the wrong front axle was installed. He brought up good point I didn’t even think about. The gear ratio may not be correct either if wrong (standard Rubi) front axle was installed in error.

can we get the guy to take pic of part number label on axle?
I told him to get signed up here and follow along. Not my jeep - was a Jeep club wrenching weekend and only just met the owner. He's from up past Baltimore.

Did your contact say if the thicker wall axle tubes had a bigger OD or was same OD and smaller ID? I know the ID was the same as a standard Rubi as the RCV axle seals tapped in nicely. If ID was smaller it would be a no bueno to get them in.

Owner was getting 37's on this week so should become pretty obvious over the gears as a 3.6 with 37's is sluggish -- even with 4.10's.

What a complete shit show.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
A Jeep thread getting sidetracked? NEVER!

@hoag4147 that thought was in the back of my mind too, but I didn't want to speak it into existence. Hopefully we are wrong about that and they at least threw the right set of gears into it so that it doesn't destroy the transfer case the first time it's shifted to 4wd.
It's been in 4WD and no issues; front/rear gear ratio is def the same. (but perhaps both are wrong.....)

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I told him to get signed up here and follow along. Not my jeep - was a Jeep club wrenching weekend and only just met the owner. He's from up past Baltimore.

Did your contact say if the thicker wall axle tubes had a bigger OD or was same OD and smaller ID? I know the ID was the same as a standard Rubi as the RCV axle seals tapped in nicely. If ID was smaller it would be a no bueno to get them in.

Owner was getting 37's on this week so should become pretty obvious over the gears as a 3.6 with 37's is sluggish -- even with 4.10's.

What a complete shit show.
Totally get not your rig. Would be great if he does sign on. My guy didn’t mention ID or OD but thinking would be OD. Will see if I can find out.

definitely a shit show. Hopefully as simple as knuckles only with any luck

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Totally get not your rig. Would be great if he does sign on. My guy didn’t mention ID or OD but thinking would be OD. Will see if I can find out.

definitely a shit show. Hopefully as simple as knuckles only with any luck
Well, I was wrong. The OD same with thicker wall and smaller ID 🤔. Never looked at RCVs but is there options to choose seal sizes?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Well, I was wrong. The OD same with thicker wall and smaller ID 🤔. Never looked at RCVs but is there options to choose seal sizes?
No, they are for "JL/JT D44's" and that's the only option.

But look at this.... This indicates the 2021 JLU 392 is the same front housing as the rest of the Rubicons from 2018-2021. Regardless of 3.0 diesel, 3.6, 2.0, or 392 they all show they use the same front axle housing.

This also agrees with what the rep said - the "HD axle assembly includes the iron knuckles" which is what was stated for the Mohave release - they specifically referenced these knuckles.

https://store.mopar.com/oem-parts/mopar-axle-housing-68400405aa?c=bD0yJm49RHluYW1pYyBTRU8gUGFnZQ==

So perhaps the XR's are something different again, but this at least suggests all non-XR's are the same housing.

I also doubt Jeep would use the standard Rubicon axle for the 392 but then bother with something different for the XR package; but then skimp out on proper control arm length and track bar length.

So I want to see an XR front housing particularly external and internal tube diameters as that's the only way to really know it is different. Or for Mopar to list a part number that shows it is.

Demon 2048

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR with Extreme Rubicon option
No, they are for "JL/JT D44's" and that's the only option.

But look at this.... This indicates the 2021 JLU 392 is the same front housing as the rest of the Rubicons from 2018-2021. Regardless of 3.0 diesel, 3.6, 2.0, or 392 they all show they use the same front axle housing.

This also agrees with what the rep said - the "HD axle assembly includes the iron knuckles" which is what was stated for the Mohave release - they specifically referenced these knuckles.

https://store.mopar.com/oem-parts/mopar-axle-housing-68400405aa?c=bD0yJm49RHluYW1pYyBTRU8gUGFnZQ==

So perhaps the XR's are something different again, but this at least suggests all non-XR's are the same housing.

I also doubt Jeep would use the standard Rubicon axle for the 392 but then bother with something different for the XR package; but then skimp out on proper control arm length and track bar length.

So I want to see an XR front housing particularly external and internal tube diameters as that's the only way to really know it is different. Or for Mopar to list a part number that shows it is.
Now you guys have me thinking too much. I checked my black painted knuckles and they are magnetic and with some rust present. Secondly I have not put the Jeep in 4WD since I only got it 2 weeks ago. But tomorrow I will spin the tire and count the yoke revolutions and see it it is 4.56 revolutions. i cant believe I changed both differential covers and did no look at the ring gear stamping as far a ratio. I'll let everyone know tomorrow that both axle ratios are/are not 4.56. Great point!

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Now you guys have me thinking too much. I checked my black painted knuckles and they are magnetic and with some rust present. Secondly I have not put the Jeep in 4WD since I only got it 2 weeks ago. But tomorrow I will spin the tire and count the yoke revolutions and see it it is 4.56 revolutions. i cant believe I changed both differential covers and did no look at the ring gear stamping as far a ratio. I'll let everyone know tomorrow that both axle ratios are/are not 4.56. Great point!
Can you also measure the diameter of the front axle tube? I also asked in the XR club thread.

Demon 2048

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR with Extreme Rubicon option
Had to jack the Jeep up and with both wheels off the ground and lock the rear differential to measure the yoke travel vs. the tire rotation. Rear is 4.56:1 ratio. As for the front I jacked both differentials off the ground in 4-Auto, 4-High, and 4-Lo I could not overcome the driveline pressure to spin the tire to count the yoke revolutions. Even tried to put the transfer case in neutral and this did nothing to help the situation. Locking the front/rear also proved to be pointless. Thus I failed to be able to rotate the front axle by turning the yoke by hand while in 4WD. I believe that FAD has something to do with my inability to turn the system by hand and make either tire turn to count the yoke revolutions when even in 2WD??????
My next step will be to put the Jeep in all 4WD positions and make sure there is no binding issues from mismatched gears (4:10:1 from a regular Rubicon). Which I highly doubt that is the case.
Interesting to note as I'm a first time Jeep owner of just a few weeks and these differentials do not have clutches in them as when you spin the wheels the opposite wheel goes the opposite direction. Very interesting. Thus you either have just two opposite wheels turning for 4WD or the axles locked and all 4 tires spinning at the same rate. This Jeep stuff is a whole lot different than my race cars that's for sure. More to come. FAD ungh??
Sponsored