Sponsored

Are us middle class Jeepers going to be (fuel) forcefully priced out of enjoying our Jeeps? [CLOSED DUE TO POLITICS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidwestJeeper

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge JLU Willys 2.0T
Occupation
Engineer
You all know it. Gas price averages are growing almost everyday, faster than an adolescent kid.

I would like to get the opinions of other Jeepers that may be in the same boat as myself. I work hard, I work honest, I save up so I can enjoy some of the fruits of my labor and enjoy my dream vehicle.
Well, enjoy within feasible means is what I follow and what we grew up on.

$2.xx a gallon? Yeah, enjoy my Jeep without a worry
$3.xx a gallon? Hmm.... yeah ok. I guess I can drive around
$4.xx a gallon? Need to think about a few things.
$5.xx a gallon, as expected in another month or two? oops.

This is 2 years on from being at a position where I could comfortably have afforded a JLU diesel, which is still the dream Jeep in an ideal world scenario. Not anymore.

Is this situation ever going to resolve itself or are we forcefully being shoehorned into commuting less and/or going full EV? The latter is coming for sure, but I can't believe it will be a slimy tactic by those in power to force us into it.

Full electric Jeeps? Cool technology and probably high efficiency but no thanks, for me at least.

The rich, super rich and uber rich will probably use their fully loaded and modded Jeeps as their 3rd/4th vehicles or weekend toys, but that's far from reality for a good portion of us.

What can a simple honest random Joe Noname like me expect in the coming months and the next couple of years?

Your thoughts?
Sponsored

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
I dont think most people buy these for the fuel economy. These are toys. And yes DD toys for many, but still toys. Most people will just pony up for the fun factor regardless of the fuel costs. The rest will either add a commuter as a DD because they think theyre saving money which always makes me scratch my head, or just sell and replace. Theyā€™ll never recoup the cost of adding an econobox to the stable in fuel savings, that makes no sense. Yet I see people do it quite a bit. It would take years to get that to actually work. And I cant see a ton of people outright selling their fun factor for a couple of bucks in fuel.

OP
OP

MidwestJeeper

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge JLU Willys 2.0T
Occupation
Engineer
I dont think most people buy these for the fuel economy. These are toys. Most people will just pony up for the fun factor regardless of the fuel costs. The rest will either add a commuter as a DD because they think theyre saving money which always makes me scratch my head, or just sell and replace. Theyā€™ll never recoup the cost of adding an econobox to the stable in fuel savings, that makes no sense. Yet I see people do it quite a bit. It would take years to get that to actually work. And I cant see a ton of people outright selling their fun factor for a couple of bucks in fuel.
I scratch my head on the same thing too.

I know these vehicles are far, far from being fuel efficient but the way things are going is completely bonkers. Volatile is an understatement.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I've had the same thing in the back of my head. Luckily, I now work from home so that saves a ton of gas money. But I have been thinking about it when I plan trips. That weekend camping trip is now going to cost me $200 in gas, instead of whatever it was last time.

I'm no expert in energy and predicting the future. But part of me thinks that this summer, the price of electricity is going to skyrocket. I also think that there's more demand than supply so there could be outages from it. A lot of people are being forced into EV's due to the price of gas, but if the price of electricity goes up, then we're back at square one. I also don't think our infrastructure is ready for it. If they're talking about rolling blackouts and outages due to demand and not everybody has an EV, what's going to happen when everybody is forced to get one? Sure, you can get a solar farm on your property, but realistically, how many people are going to do that. And not many people have that kind of money laying around for it.

My thought, and hope, is that gas will get cheaper after many realize that EV's can't work with infrastructure today. And then I don't have to start calculating the price of weekend camping trips anymore.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
If I take a 1,000 mile overlanding trip, and my Jeep averages 17 mpg, I burn 59 gallons of gas.

So if gas jumps from $2.50 to $4.50, I pay an extra $118 for the trip.

Nope, not a deal breaker at all.

I keep a little hatchback around for my daily driver. It averages 39 mpg and I fill it up every three weeks or so. Gas prices are irrelevant to that thing.

If I were using my Jeep as a daily and had a long commute, then I can see where that would get painful these days.

Sponsored

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Remember the idiots with 4xeā€™s that will never recoup our extra money spent on batteries? Current gas tank for my DD has 220 miles and Iā€™ve only used about 1 gallon of gas. Yes my mountain camp trips may cost an extra $100 of fuel (over lower gas prices) but that is what it is. The reality is gas prices suck for a lot of people and will force them to make hard choicesā€¦ and I put solar on my house 3 years ago, so the math means I am recouping my investment faster (system was 104% to use) than I would have otherwise. Energy rates are also relatively cheap in CO, if I have to buy it, about $.13 per kWh.

I made hard choices before buying a very expensive vehicle. Those choices were not buying what I wanted for many years while I saved every penny I could. Then when I finally had saved enough to comfortably buy what I wanted and not worry about the gas, I did. How many people worrying about gas prices had 45k to put as a down payment on their vehicle? I kept my previous 2 vehicles a combined 15 years always saving for buying what I wanted, not what I needed. Iā€™ve always lived well under my means, while I am extremely fortunate now, and yes Iā€™ve very much felt the pinch of inflation, living frugally for so long put my family in a position that we may have to cut back, but we can ride this out too. And while Iā€™m fortunate, Iā€™m still middle class by the economics.

Gurk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 21 JL Hemi Sold: JL, JK, TJ, XJ
Occupation
IT Infrastructure Security
You all know it. Gas price averages are growing almost everyday, faster than an adolescent kid.

I would like to get the opinions of other Jeepers that may be in the same boat as myself. I work hard, I work honest, I save up so I can enjoy some of the fruits of my labor and enjoy my dream vehicle.
Well, enjoy within feasible means is what I follow and what we grew up on.

$2.xx a gallon? Yeah, enjoy my Jeep without a worry
$3.xx a gallon? Hmm.... yeah ok. I guess I can drive around
$4.xx a gallon? Need to think about a few things.
$5.xx a gallon, as expected in another month or two? oops.

This is 2 years on from being at a position where I could comfortably have afforded a JLU diesel, which is still the dream Jeep in an ideal world scenario. Not anymore.

Is this situation ever going to resolve itself or are we forcefully being shoehorned into commuting less and/or going full EV? The latter is coming for sure, but I can't believe it will be a slimy tactic by those in power to force us into it.

Full electric Jeeps? Cool technology and probably high efficiency but no thanks, for me at least.

The rich, super rich and uber rich will probably use their fully loaded and modded Jeeps as their 3rd/4th vehicles or weekend toys, but that's far from reality for a good portion of us.

What can a simple honest random Joe Noname like me expect in the coming months and the next couple of years?

Your thoughts?
Given that we WERE on our way to energy independence and in the last year have hopped back on to the ideological path of forcing fossil fuel consumers to pay dearly...yes many of us will be affected. The question is will those of us who use our Jeeps for DD and not as extra toys, need to make adjustments ?
I think the answer is yes, the degree is the question.

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
I think many people are going to cut back on certain things they can manage just simply cause this isnā€™t just about the gas price increase but in general cost of living increase, if Iā€™m planning to go on a trip etc the extra $ 100 in fuel cost isnā€™t going to effect my decision of going, but I can completely understand other people point of view in regards to trying to keep their expenses down, but realistically if you spent over $ 50 K on your new jeep an extra $ 100 in fuel to enjoy it, that shouldnā€™t really be an issue!! I feel terrible for truck drivers and farmer etc who donā€™t have a choice, clearly our federal government seems more interested in sending billions overseas to Ukraine vs addressing issues here at home!

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Where there's a will, there's a way when it comes to Jeeps. Might not be fun, but there's always a way to feed this addiction. I mean hell, every city got street corners, and if you dress pretty enough, you can make some gas money.

Sponsored

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
Price of gas sucks for sure. I've been lucky enough that half the household works from home, almost halving my gas spending, and that my work is about ten minutes down the road, so I fill up about twice a month. But with the 2.0T, I'm wanting to put 91 in as a rule from now on, so I've upped my budget accordingly.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Given that we WERE on our way to energy independence and in the last year have hopped back on to the ideological path of forcing fossil fuel consumers to pay dearly...yes many of us will be affected. The question is will those of us who use our Jeeps for DD and not as extra toys, need to make adjustments ?
I think the answer is yes, the degree is the question.
The US is still energy independent, or at least as close as it will ever get on fossil fuels.

miweber929

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JLU Sport S, ā€˜16 Silverado
If I take a 1,000 mile overlanding trip, and my Jeep averages 17 mpg, I burn 59 gallons of gas.

So if gas jumps from $2.50 to $4.50, I pay an extra $118 for the trip.

Nope, not a deal breaker at all.
This.

Itā€™s not ideal that prices have risen, and Iā€™m not happy about it, but I think people sometimes get out of whack with how much stuff actually costs.

I watch cars line up for hours at places and drive 30+ minutes across town to get gas thatā€™s $.25 cheaper a gallon. In a typical fill up thatā€˜s under a $5 difference. If itā€™s even $.50 a gallon so $10 more to fill and thatā€™s the difference between me making it and not, then Iā€™ve got bigger issues and shouldnā€™t be driving a jeep.

Last edited:

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Remember the idiots with 4xeā€™s that will never recoup our extra money spent on batteries? Current gas tank for my DD has 220 miles and Iā€™ve only used about 1 gallon of gas. Yes my mountain camp trips may cost an extra $100 of fuel (over lower gas prices) but that is what it is. The reality is gas prices suck for a lot of people and will force them to make hard choicesā€¦ and I put solar on my house 3 years ago, so the math means I am recouping my investment faster (system was 104% to use) than I would have otherwise. Energy rates are also relatively cheap in CO, if I have to buy it, about $.13 per kWh.

I made hard choices before buying a very expensive vehicle. Those choices were not buying what I wanted for many years while I saved every penny I could. Then when I finally had saved enough to comfortably buy what I wanted and not worry about the gas, I did. How many people worrying about gas prices had 45k to put as a down payment on their vehicle? I kept my previous 2 vehicles a combined 15 years always saving for buying what I wanted, not what I needed. Iā€™ve always lived well under my means, while I am extremely fortunate now, and yes Iā€™ve very much felt the pinch of inflation, living frugally for so long put my family in a position that we may have to cut back, but we can ride this out too. And while Iā€™m fortunate, Iā€™m still middle class by the economics.
Yup. When they work, the 4xe feels like a smart choice. We were planning on replacing our diesel Grand Cherokee with the 4xe version until we got spooked by all the horror stories. We still want one and will likely buy if the data show the kinks have been mostly worked out in a year or so.

We donā€™t put many miles on the Wrangler, so the climbing gas prices are irritating and uncomfortable, but the fuel surcharge is probably costing us only $40 to $50 per month more. It will take much more than that to move me into a Prius. Just looking at those things pisses me off ā€” but Iā€™m probably influenced by all the ridiculous stickers that invariably adorn them in Oregon.

cafecito820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
My $.02 - people fixate way, way too hard on gas prices and will drop $5.00 on shitty coffee daily without batting an eye.

Does it suck that I have to drop an extra $20 at the pump now? Of course. But if my financial margin between owning and enjoying my Jeep and being broke is $20 a couple times a month, I should have been smarter with my money in the first place.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.