Sponsored

Are us middle class Jeepers going to be (fuel) forcefully priced out of enjoying our Jeeps? [CLOSED DUE TO POLITICS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Pointer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One
I guess people don't go to school to get educated, but use it for babysitting. We cannot complain about gas prices in a capitalist society. Prices are controlled as needed by business to support prior failed business endeavors and boost interest in investing. Failed fracking comes to mind currently. There are many oil leases not being used as well. Pipeline to Canada was about 8% completed and would not be productive for a decade and the raw product from Canada is very dirty to obtain, causing other issues. Also, remember that people left this industry to pursue other interests putting strain on the system.
Sponsored

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
I don't see myself ever owning an all-electric car... Tesla servers recently experience an issue that caused hundreds of Tesla owners not to be able to get into their cars until the issue was resolved... I'm already looking at ways to disable vehicle tracking, black boxes, etc... The less "oversight" in my life, the better I like it... I don't need anyone shutting down my vehicle for any reason and it's no ones business where/how I drive as long as I do it legally.

How are people going to be able to charge their cars during an extended power outage from a Hurricane/Tornado or other natural disaster?
Quite likely my next vehicle will be a plug in hybrid. Best of both worlds.
Iā€™ll accompany that with an upgrade to my off-grid capable solar system and Iā€™ll be able to drive without any infrastructure support.

Canā€™t drive ICE after in the aftermath either, without someone delivering gas. Yes, I do store some fuel, but only limited amounts are practical for almost all of us.

Iā€˜m with you on severing the data links.

AC87

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Service Technician
I had a 2019 TRD PRO 4 Runner - not great fuel efficiency
I had a 2016 TRD Sport Tacoma - not great fuel efficiency

Coming to a JL after 10+ years of owning Toyota's, I didn't buy it for fuel economy either. I use it on the weekend or 3x a week mostly as I work 4 shifts, 10 hours + OT. Thank god for a work van that is paid for by my company and fuel card that can be only used for work. All in all, whatever the prices get to, I won't sell. We have way to much fun on family trips and adventures with our friends, I honestly think fuel prices will go back down at some point. Also, if your struggling to pay for your Jeep/Insurance and then add fuel to that list, you maybe got into a Jeep at the wrong time. Not my business to know everyone's finances, hell mine are not the best either, not a saint here. However, I am comfortable enough financially to afford fuel, yes it sucks paying $20-30 more here (Canada) every fill up but it's not going to break me.

Burntoutaccountant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S
I just read an article that said in Washington state they are adjusting their gas pump computers for double digit pricing!! Main reason was there is a fuel shortage that will drive the price of gas to 10.00 a gallon by summer!
Fuck. Iā€™m crying on the inside of this is true. Iā€™m in Seattle.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
The odd thing I have noticed is there doen't seem to be any less cars/trucks on the road. We just took a short trip to Florida, and I-95 was a mad house from South Carolina all the way to I-4 into Orlando. So my take away is many bitch and whine, but don't seem to adjust their driving habits. Oh well, human beings are a strange lot to start with. :)

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
My daily-driven JLU 2.0T averages 27 mpg. It replaced a mid-sized truck that averaged 18 mpg. Granted, I don't have a heavy right foot.

Yes, fuel-thirsty Jeep builds aren't unknown here, but the range of the Wrangler's available fuel efficiency is much broader than has been suggested on this forum.
I used to just get in the Jeep and drive on my daily commute of 18 miles, avg 18-19mpg (2dr. V6 AT, steel bumpers, winch, full steel skids, 295/70s) Used the dash mpg meter and w/ smooth starts getting up to speed more gradually, smooth & steady when up to speed w/ more coasting and easy on the brakes I now get around 25 mpg on those daily runs. Pretty amazing what some simple driving practices can do to mpg, and I'm not getting to work any later either :)

Last edited:

Obi Wan

First Name
Obi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
starwars.fandom.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU SPORT S 2.0, 2004 TJ SPORT 5.3LS
Occupation
Jedi Knight
I drove my 04 TJ as a daily for 10 years. Yes the 16MPG sucked, but I never not once considered getting rid of it.(I still own it, but it has turned into a weekend / fun summer vehicle)

Fast forward to now and I'm looking to get a new JLU, even with the rising gas prices. Why? Because I miss driving my Jeep every time I get in my POS Ford Fusion.

My thoughts are that this will most likely be my last ICE vehicle, and why not get something that literally makes me happy every time I take it out with the wife and dog?

Electric is the future, there's no denying it. Cry all you want, but the ICE will be gone soon. Believe you me ill be missing them, but I realize the advantage of electric and honestly are excited to see what the industry, including Jeep, have in store.

On another note, if the current 4Xe was able to do 50 miles all electric, I'd would do that hands down as it would cover 95% my work commute gas free, but the 20-23 they do now is just to damn low for the extra cost.

Burntoutaccountant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Readin

Reading further into that they say that gas station sells race gas which is wayyyy more expensive so that may have prompted the recalibration. I donā€™t think itā€™ll get that high.
Really!?
Jeep Wrangler JL Are us middle class Jeepers going to be (fuel) forcefully priced out of enjoying our Jeeps? [CLOSED DUE TO POLITICS] FFCA1AE1-C357-4D01-B60B-7DF99686132F

Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Somewhere in California.
Jeep Wrangler JL Are us middle class Jeepers going to be (fuel) forcefully priced out of enjoying our Jeeps? [CLOSED DUE TO POLITICS] ECA0C137-AE2C-47B4-BBD0-DB29B1021C0A

also in cali.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
On a trip through Cali, found it funny that folks were lined up around the block at Sams Club to save 5 cents a gallon, when you could go right next door and get the same gas w/ no lines. I mean does $5.85 vs $5.90 add up to anything lol.
People are indeed funny creatures

Axelbndr

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 2door, 6Mt, PBJ, Blk. Top, Bl
You all know it. Gas price averages are growing almost everyday, faster than an adolescent kid.

I would like to get the opinions of other Jeepers that may be in the same boat as myself. I work hard, I work honest, I save up so I can enjoy some of the fruits of my labor and enjoy my dream vehicle.
Well, enjoy within feasible means is what I follow and what we grew up on.

$2.xx a gallon? Yeah, enjoy my Jeep without a worry
$3.xx a gallon? Hmm.... yeah ok. I guess I can drive around
$4.xx a gallon? Need to think about a few things.
$5.xx a gallon, as expected in another month or two? oops.

This is 2 years on from being at a position where I could comfortably have afforded a JLU diesel, which is still the dream Jeep in an ideal world scenario. Not anymore.

Is this situation ever going to resolve itself or are we forcefully being shoehorned into commuting less and/or going full EV? The latter is coming for sure, but I can't believe it will be a slimy tactic by those in power to force us into it.

Full electric Jeeps? Cool technology and probably high efficiency but no thanks, for me at least.

The rich, super rich and uber rich will probably use their fully loaded and modded Jeeps as their 3rd/4th vehicles or weekend toys, but that's far from reality for a good portion of us.

What can a simple honest random Joe Noname like me expect in the coming months and the next couple of years?

Your thoughts?
Does it hurt.. sure.. a $20 dollar ding will have me cutting out the slim jims or a corn dog or a soda maybe..
Trimming fat is sometimes necessary at all levels. Do I need AT&T as a provider.. nope! Can I get the same service cheaper.. yep!
Slimy tactics happin all the time!
I see War & corporate greed controlling fuel prices right now.. Weā€™ll get through it.. Love ur neighbors! Push back on corporate greed.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
People complain about gas prices but then go and spend $12K over MSRP šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
I paid 6% under invoice, can I complain about gas prices. I also do not buy expensive coffee from Starbucks and coffee places like Starbucks.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.