Sponsored

Are us middle class Jeepers going to be (fuel) forcefully priced out of enjoying our Jeeps? [CLOSED DUE TO POLITICS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

My longarmed TJ on 35s saw 12MPG highway if I kept it to 60 and got lucky...My JL on 37s can rock that speed and going slow like that will push 18MPG. Look at me saving money!!!

I am glad you brought this up. I am in a home in the suburbs of MPLS I had built just about three years ago. I was also waiting on a Tesla I had "pre ordered". Time passes, I am now in the house three months, My sedan is paid off, I learned I was slated to convert to WFH. and tesla says I can order. The model 3 I specced at $72K had no more draw for me. I had a paid off Fusion titanium with 45K miles on it. Tesla order canceled. I still tried for solar. Tax breaks, yadda yadda. Three companies, not one would tell me the cost. They all touted their financing. I said "but I want to pay cash" ( I really just wanted to know the total). No straight answers, I do not have solar.

My buddy who is a house away had a model S already. He got the solar. We've talked about it, he still doesn't understand it and he can't tell me what it cost him past the monthly. He can tell me he sometimes gets money back. Sorry, I am not dropping 30K or more to finance a mystery.

The bold shows the trickle effect. This won't be limited to a Wilborn trip, others will do the same.
We paid cash for our solar+battery system ($38k) with Infinity Solar here in SoCal. We havenā€™t had an electric bill since and at this rate, not even factoring in increases in electric rates, itā€™ll pay for itself in about 7 years.

Plus, it lets us give the middle finger to SCE. I didnā€™t want to be reliant on the grid. We can pretty much run our 2600sqft house on our system without grid power and we love it. I was very hesitant for a long time about solar and really feel the technology has only just recently become cheap and efficient enough to be a positive purchase.
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
If it makes you feel any better I had to fill up at $2.08/L this weekend (Canadian) - and this is for regular 87 oct.

To put that in perspective, that's about $7.90 CAD per gallon - quick exchange rate to USD puts it at about $6.15/gallon.

We are told it will "only go up" this summer šŸ¤•
Just in time for me to pass through Canada on my way to and from Alaska.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I dont care much about it. The price of gas is directly attached to transportation costs wether we have electric cars or not, and affect the overall economy.

We all order stuff to get shipped to our homes, we all travel through airplane from time to time. There is not much we can do.

I personally own a Camry that gets about 45mpg highway. And I use it to drive around. I am very glad I bought that car.

The Camry cant offroad. But the Jeep can. The camry cant tow but the jeep can. So if I am going on vacation, or offroading or whatever I use the Jeep.

The price of gas probably affects me just as much as my neighbor who owns a Tesla. My Camry is bigger than his tesla, cost me about 22k 2 years ago and it is pretty cheap and comfortable to drive around.

I use my Jeep for whats intended. So it costs what it costs.

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
I make great money and I'm homeless. I refuse to be house-broke. My company pays for my hotels no matter where I'm working at the time. Kids are grown and gone, so my responsibilities are limited. Gas could be $15 a gallon, and ill fill it up to enjoy my weekends.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
We paid cash for our solar+battery system ($38k) with Infinity Solar here in SoCal. We havenā€™t had an electric bill since and at this rate, not even factoring in increases in electric rates, itā€™ll pay for itself in about 7 years.

Plus, it lets us give the middle finger to SCE. I didnā€™t want to be reliant on the grid. We can pretty much run our 2600sqft house on our system without grid power and we love it. I was very hesitant for a long time about solar and really feel the technology has only just recently become cheap and efficient enough to be a positive purchase.
THANK YOU! I looked a bit, truly couldn't find a cash price. House is about the same size, but my electric bill is like 1/5th of yours if you have a seven year payback. I won't be here long enough to see savings.

Sponsored

stickling9

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe; 2013 vw gli; 2022 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
engineer
Remember the idiots with 4xeā€™s that will never recoup our extra money spent on batteries? Current gas tank for my DD has 220 miles and Iā€™ve only used about 1 gallon of gas. Yes my mountain camp trips may cost an extra $100 of fuel (over lower gas prices) but that is what it is. The reality is gas prices suck for a lot of people and will force them to make hard choicesā€¦ and I put solar on my house 3 years ago, so the math means I am recouping my investment faster (system was 104% to use) than I would have otherwise. Energy rates are also relatively cheap in CO, if I have to buy it, about $.13 per kWh.

I made hard choices before buying a very expensive vehicle. Those choices were not buying what I wanted for many years while I saved every penny I could. Then when I finally had saved enough to comfortably buy what I wanted and not worry about the gas, I did. How many people worrying about gas prices had 45k to put as a down payment on their vehicle? I kept my previous 2 vehicles a combined 15 years always saving for buying what I wanted, not what I needed. Iā€™ve always lived well under my means, while I am extremely fortunate now, and yes Iā€™ve very much felt the pinch of inflation, living frugally for so long put my family in a position that we may have to cut back, but we can ride this out too. And while Iā€™m fortunate, Iā€™m still middle class by the economics.
yep, me too - 4xe covers electric range covers 95% of driving. installing 2nd round of solar to go zero carbon footprint for home and car. (22kW installed capacity). Love the 4xe and the solar. But some moron ran a red light and totaled my jeep. New on order, but 5 months out. Sooo, anyone want to stop by and charge their jeep for free? got lots of extra kWh available!

koinneach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jluxr
yep, me too - 4xe covers electric range covers 95% of driving. installing 2nd round of solar to go zero carbon footprint for home and car. (22kW installed capacity). Love the 4xe and the solar. But some moron ran a red light and totaled my jeep. New on order, but 5 months out. Sooo, anyone want to stop by and charge their jeep for free? got lots of extra kWh available!

I have two JLURs on order; a 4XE Rubicon and a Rubicon XR. The way gas prices are going, it makes me want to cancel the XR and just keep the 4xE. I placed a Tesla Solar system (17kw system)order back in February and still don't have an install date. The model Y my wife got last year for 49k is essentially paying for itself... the same model now is 63k

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
I paid $7/gal to fill up yesterday. The extra cost isn't a big deal but regardless I drive my Jeep a lot less now. I'm still going on all the wheeling trips I otherwise would but I use it as my daily driver much less.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I wouldnā€™t own a Tesla either; friend had one and the quality was bad (it was an early S). But something like a Mini Cooper Electric interests me in part due to the rebate and looks fun to beat around town. I wouldnā€™t buy it, unless I could charge it at home and preferably with solar panels. If this wasnā€™t viable option, then it would have to be a Miata or similar.

Another reason I wouldnā€™t buy a Teslaā€¦ I talked with a recruiter for SpaceX and the pay was laughably low, with hours bordering on insane. Apparently people go work for them because itā€™s SpaceX and Elon Musk.
i had a 2018 Model 3 I sold for profit and have an order in for a Model Y. I canā€™t image anywrangler owner not buying a Tesla because of bad quality. Iā€™ve owned bothā€¦and my Tesla was far more reliable than either of my Jeepsā€¦though I still like my Jeep.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
i had a 2018 Model 3 I sold for profit and have an order in for a Model Y. I canā€™t image anywrangler owner not buying a Tesla because of bad quality. Iā€™ve owned bothā€¦and my Tesla was far more reliable than either of my Jeepsā€¦though I still like my Jeep.
No doubt the Jeep has quality issues, but itā€™s a lot more tolerable in a vehicle with a base MSRP in the upper 20ā€™sā€¦ But that doesnā€™t excuse either brand. My friends Tesla was junk due to bad build quality (not because it was unreliable). But he drives a McLaren now, so he likes to be punished.

I am glad you like yours and maybe the build quality has increased since the early Model S (I would hope, that was 8-9 years ago).

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
My $.02 - people fixate way, way too hard on gas prices and will drop $5.00 on shitty coffee daily without batting an eye.

Does it suck that I have to drop an extra $20 at the pump now? Of course. But if my financial margin between owning and enjoying my Jeep and being broke is $20 a couple times a month, I should have been smarter with my money in the first place.
I don't drink 15 gallons of coffee every time I stop at a gas station. And we wouldn't fixate so much on it if there weren't a solution readily available to increase supply.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.