Sponsored

Are these GOOD Updates to this Willys???

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
As some may have read, I purchased a used 2020 Willys 2 door this past month. I have a little knowledge of it’s history from the purchasing dealer as well as the Jeep app on my phone.

There seems to be some updates that were added during the ownership of the first owner and I am not quite sure what the quality and usefulness is.

1) Headlights…. Seem to work very well and I know that by the brightness they must be LED lights as well as HALO lights. The HALO’s are pretty close to the color of the Jeep and that is pretty neat in itself.

2) Foglights…. Great brightness and a nice white beam right where you need it. Seem to be a similar manufacture to the headlights and for sure LED. Have thought about adding some Yellow lens covers by Laminate-X.

3) Smoked Taillights…. These seem to work fine. Not sure of the manufacture. Part of the old school me would sometimes like the stock ones.

4) Stubby antenna…. Not sure of the manufacture but it seems to work well and I like the looks of this to be sure.

5) Fuel Filler door…. Not the MOPAR one but it’s there. Seems slightly exposed to the sunlight so it’s a shade or two lighter than new. For now it’s fine, but may have it powder coated or replaced by a Mopar one in the future.

On this Jeep I think these modifications look fine and actually improve on a very good Jeep. I just wonder how good they will be in the long term. I did a full carwash by hand on her today, and then decided to use the last bit of my Chemical Brother JET SEAL sealant on it. It is the second coat in two weeks, so I am pretty well prepared the Jeep for it’s Winter time use.

So if you know what these parts are, just let me know. If something is suspect, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks!

15B15A71-EFE2-46A5-9544-C66F3A69D420.jpeg

F58D6578-CE73-4B3D-BC1A-49B4A5C76CD7.jpeg

81DD5D88-4DF2-480E-8C4F-8E5B6756EF08.jpeg

9193C66D-6F13-42EA-A806-B8386B981867.jpeg

F01C00D4-288E-40E5-904D-0A4D987E32BE.jpeg
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
On this Jeep I think these modifications look fine and actually improve on a very good Jeep. I just wonder how good they will be in the long term.
The headlights on your JL are aftermarket fitments. Provided they're aimed correctly so that oncoming drivers' vision isn't compromised, and their down-road lighting is acceptable to you (in that order), there's probably no call to disturb them.

I do prefer yellow lighting for fog lights, and have upgraded my OEM bulbs to yellow LEDs accordingly. The Lamin-X film, which you seem to be aware of, is a lower cost and faster way to accomplish the same thing.

Tail lights: I don't like the aesthetic of smoked lenses, but that's a subjective preference. I've installed the Oracle flush mount LED tail lights in order to provide needed lighting when in Reverse. The expense was worth it to me. Just a thought.

Antenna: I've the popular 13" Ryondair antenna on my JLU. Reception sometimes suffers, depending on geography. This choice will depend on how frequently you listen to terrestrial radio. I do like the aesthetic of the shorter antenna, to be sure.

Fuel filler door: Again, a subjective choice. I also installed one on my Jeep. My OCD insisted that the gas cap not be exposed. ;)

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I’m not huge on tinted tails and your radio reception may not be the best but overall the changes look mostly functional.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ang1Sgt

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
Good idea on the Oracle flush mount LED tail lights. I like to have very GOOD visibility for myself and others. These tail lights while functional, look slightly subdued to me. I’ll have to look into those for sure.
The Headlights and foglights seem to work better than halogen stock lights. I have the Laminate-X lenses on my 2020 Subaru Outback and they have worked very well.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Good idea on the Oracle flush mount LED tail lights. I like to have very GOOD visibility for myself and others. These tail lights while functional, look slightly subdued to me. I’ll have to look into those for sure.
The Oracles play nice with the Jeep's electronics only when replacing factory incandescent tail lights without the Blind Spot Monitoring option.

This thread describes the fixes for "Lights Out" dash warnings, and/or hyperflash, that may occur when the Oracle flush mounts are installed on a Jeep that was built at Toledo with LED lighting. Essentially, use of a Tazer or JScan is recommended. So, you may be in luck if your Willys had incandescent tail lights as original equipment.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
do you like them?. These are all minor mods that are relatively inexpensive. Nothing to worry about.

How about ties, suspension, bumpers, rock sliders, etc... is it all stock?

OP
OP
Ang1Sgt

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
do you like them?. These are all minor mods that are relatively inexpensive. Nothing to worry about.

How about ties, suspension, bumpers, rock sliders, etc... is it all stock?
Yep! The rest is stock and for the most part will stay that way. It only had 4300 miles on it when we got it at the end of August. Most of the trails in my area of NY State are mostly Seasonal Use Roads, al though I do have access to some property that is near some state lands.

OP
OP
Ang1Sgt

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
The Oracles play nice with the Jeep's electronics only when replacing factory incandescent tail lights without the Blind Spot Monitoring option.

This thread describes the fixes for "Lights Out" dash warnings, and/or hyperflash, that may occur when the Oracle flush mounts are installed on a Jeep that was built at Toledo with LED lighting. Essentially, use of a Tazer or JScan is recommended. So, you may be in luck if your Willys had incandescent tail lights as original equipment.
This Willys has few options, it’s closer to that of the SPORT so it’s mostly hardware and some exterior details. I called up the factory build sheet to verify a few things.

The bottom line is we both like it and the wife knows I’m really loving it. This is to replace a 2013 JK 2 door Sport S that I had to sell in 2016 due to her Mom moving in with us for Elder Care. I needed a vehicle she could get into and out of safely. So the Jeep went away and a 4 door sedan took it’s place. I am a 2 door, stick shift sort of guy and with a Jeep I can reach the door locks and window cranks by leaning over to the other side. Yep, pretty bare bones! My 2020 Subaru Outback has all those nagging nanny things on it and I deal with those okay, just didn’t want them on my Jeep. My 75 CJ5 had nothing, the 2003 WJ was pretty basic, and the 2013 JK had few options. It’s just the way I like to do things.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Any upgrade from the halogen lights is a good thing. Christ, you could replace those bulbs with actual candles and they'd be brighter.

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2022 JLUS 4xe, 2022 JT Mojave
If it was my jeep I would swap out the aftermarket headlights for something that fits more like OEM. I'm sure they work fine, but those appear to be 7" head lights vs the JL's 9" headlight. Im not a fan of the gap.

Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
All those mods seem harmless and are personal preference. I've heard some complain that certain smoked out tailights aren't bright enough for others to see in certain conditions, but those ones you got are fine.

sailscall

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Sport 6MT
I like the look of your Jeep. 7” LEDs are probably 1/2 the price of 9” Oracles / DV8, etc and would I keep them if they work for you. Not sure of the stereo you have but look at Terra Acoustics Sound Stage for the front sound stage and maybe some Select Instrument pods for the Soundbar.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
If you don’t like the smoked rears, you may be able to get a straight trade for stock ones in the forum.

Swap is quick and straight forward.

HushHouse254

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
I have yellow Lamin-x fog light film and it works quite well. An installation tip, install them when it is warm outside. Much easier. As for the fuel door, I tried a few aftermarket ones with poor results. Ended up purchasing a Mopar door and it fits and operates perfectly. Enjoy your Wrangler!

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
The headlights look like Axials and the fogs look like DV8’s.

I had The axials but swapped them due to light bleed and being a 7”. If you like them and arent getting flashed, keep em. Just watch around the adapter bracket as they tend to rust really bad.

I still have the DV8 fogs as they work great.
Sponsored