Sponsored

Are these dealer options a rip off

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
X2 on the gap insurance. My insurance company offered it for about $5 a month and it covers 125% of the vehicle value.
Exactly, we just bought a durango and they wanted something like 800 thru the dealer.... My insurance company did it for $8 a year! And I know it works because my bmw was just totaled and that's why I'm getting a JL

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Around here most dealers just flat out put a sticker on saying "Additional Profit" in the amount of $3000 or so for any vehicle that's at all hot.

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Fyi...if the dealership (or stealership) you're dealing with has some outrageous charges like that and their sales manager comments on negative reviews, try leaving a Yelp review with 1 star and thoroughly describe this charges. If the manager does comment on low reviews, is very likely they'll drop those charges for you or give you a big discount, which doesn't compensate fully but if you really want it you'll think about it. My dealership experience was good so I left a 4 star review only stating that I wished I got a weekly/biweekly update on my order and that I made sure they didn't add those charges and a couple hours later my salesman emailed me with an update apologizing for the delay and the price I was quoted was the price I was going to pay, no extra fees or options I didn't request. Just taxes, tags, and the usual dealer fee which if I remember correctly was around 180.

Again, this is only possible (not for sure) if the sales manager does follow up on the negative reviews on yelp and/or any rating website.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Saw one in the Portland, OR area, with a $5995 ripoff upcharge.

Sponsored

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Take your business elsewhere, poor operations in today’s world.

Can only imagine their level of service.

Around here most dealers just flat out put a sticker on saying "Additional Profit" in the amount of $3000 or so for any vehicle that's at all hot.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Exactly, we just bought a durango and they wanted something like 800 thru the dealer.... My insurance company did it for $8 a year! And I know it works because my bmw was just totaled and that's why I'm getting a JL
You know what gap insurance is, right?

Wranglers are different than every other car. They don't depreciate at the same rate as a BMW or a Durango does. Therefore, the gap between the totaled value and what you may still owe isn't as large or even exist at all depending on how much you put down in it.

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
You know what gap insurance is, right?

Wranglers are different than every other car. They don't depreciate at the same rate as a BMW or a Durango does. Therefore, the gap between the totaled value and what you may still owe isn't as large or even exist at all depending on how much you put down in it.
Yes...If anything, it should be cheaper for that reason than any other car....less risk.

LordEgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
I’d ask if they would take ten bucks, two old sock puppets and a hair brush for package because that’s all I’d pay.

Everyone saw this coming with the popularity of the vehicle. It will settle down eventually. It’s also why I’ve ordered my last two.

Sponsored

Jtimbrook

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A
One of the local dealers here that I was originally going to order through was going to add an additional $2000 to the purchase price. When I asked wtf was that all about the sales guy stated that it was a dealer "requirement" on all vehicles sold through their dealership which included VIN etching, wheel locks, and nitrogen. I flat out told him the deal was dead if they thought any of that was a good idea. Right now I'm trying to get one ordered through a different dealer that does not tack on stupid add-ons...

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
One of the local dealers here that I was originally going to order through was going to add an additional $2000 to the purchase price. When I asked wtf was that all about the sales guy stated that it was a dealer "requirement" on all vehicles sold through their dealership which included VIN etching, wheel locks, and nitrogen. I flat out told him the deal was dead if they thought any of that was a good idea. Right now I'm trying to get one ordered through a different dealer that does not tack on stupid add-ons...
I saw a similar post somewhere a few weeks ago. They were charging for window tint, locking lugs and Nitrogen. Total BS. Not sure of your location in God Bless Texas but I can hook you up with my dealer in Central, Arkansas. Now if you're in Houston or the Hill Country prob too far but if you're Dallas or North of Dallas might be worth a 3-4 hour drive. 5% below invoice + another 1% if you have the Tread Lightly. $130 doc fee and that's it. No BS.