ssiegler

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Hello,

Now that my JLU has been put on the truck to be shipped to me, I reached out to my dealer to give me a total out the door cost. She told me that in addition to the cost of the vehicle we discussed, she wants to charge me an optional $547 for the following options: Lifetime Warranty on Window Tinting, Nitrogen in the Tires and Wheel Locks.

To me, this seems like a complete rip off. Does anyone think this is worth $547? Are other dealers trying to do the same?
Sponsored

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like a rip off to me. Nitrogen is free in the air. I would think wheel locks are pretty cheap but I havent priced them. Is the tint warranty for the factory tint on the rears? This is a new thing to me. Haven’t heard of a tint warranty ever.

hilljackglh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150. 2018 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Retired Dentist
Hello,

Now that my JLU has been put on the truck to be shipped to me, I reached out to my dealer to give me a total out the door cost. She told me that in addition to the cost of the vehicle we discussed, she wants to charge me an optional $547 for the following options: Lifetime Warranty on Window Tinting, Nitrogen in the Tires and Wheel Locks.

To me, this seems like a complete rip off. Does anyone think this is worth $547? Are other dealers trying to do the same?
Refuse to pay such underhanded thievery. None of the 3 items came from the factory. Sue em n stand off property with a sign. You’ll be well compensated. Post dealer name on this site is a beginning

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I figure many of these dealers offering a % below invoice plan to make additional profit by adding these "mandatory" dealer add-ons or at least try to. Stay strong my friends.

Wait until you sign the papers. The finance department will try to sell you everything under the sun.

Sponsored

hilljackglh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150. 2018 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Retired Dentist
I figure many of these dealers offering a % below invoice plan to make additional profit by adding these "mandatory" dealer add-ons or at least try to. Stay strong my friends.
All the more reason to have a signed preorder purchase agreement.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Total rip off. Air we breathe is 78% nitrogen.

Window tint warranty? Really? Give me a break.

Tell her no, and tell her you don't want her dealership name painted/printed on your Jeep, either. Just for spite after trying to rip you off like that.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
The only thing you should buy from the dealer is the vehicle itself. No extended warranty, no service contracts, no GAP insurance (yes, get this, but not from them), no vehicle modifications.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Warranties: how nice for companies to sell them to us.

No. They exist to make the warrantor money. Bean counters figure out the likelihood of defect they'll have to fix, and charge for profit.

And yet, warranty on moving parts: ok, at least moving parts are subject to wear and tear.

But these 3 things?

Sponsored

JLWF Dealer Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Occupation
Jeep Dealer / Singer of Sentimental Ballads
Hello,

Since it is a vehicle they haven’t touched, unless you want that stuff, decline. You can facilitate the tint, wheel locks if you want and I’m pretty sure can find a Air hose if needed. Just tell them you don’t want any of that since it didn’t come from the factory installed. On a stock unit, it’s different. Many dealers add things like that when they arrive because a lot of people do want those things. I’m a big fan of wheel locks on a Wrangler and tint, but I have a tint guy and can purchase, and install my wheels locks.

JLWF Dealer Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Occupation
Jeep Dealer / Singer of Sentimental Ballads
The only thing you should buy from the dealer is the vehicle itself. No extended warranty, no service contracts, no GAP insurance (yes, get this, but not from them), no vehicle modifications.
GAP is good for some people and not an evil. Warranties and service contracts can also be beneficial. It really is the situation. I plan to trade in a year or two, but on my current ride, the warranty has paid for itself. My last vehicle, no. But it’s like health or auto insurance. It’s in case shit happens. Sometimes it does. My advice is, unless you have the FU money to fix anything that comes up, if you want to keep your vehicle for a considerable amount of time, check out the options available. If you are not putting anything down and potentially rolling in some negative equity of a trade, buy GAP. Best option you can get , again, in case shit happens.

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Pure nitrogen in tires only really makes a difference on race cars, but there's a trend now of dealers trying to push it on street cars for a charge.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
All this talk about wheels locks reminds me of my 1st JK

When I ordered my 1st new vehicle a 2011 JK sport it arrived at the dealer very late in the day. They called and said that it was there and if I wanted to come take a look at it to swing in but they won't be able to process it till the next morning. When they came in the next morning my new jeep was sitting on cinder blocks and all 5 wheels where gone.

Some thugs put the blocks under it, let the air out of the tiers and stole all 5 wheels. No jack needed. The dealer did not have any jeeps there with the stock non upgraded sport wheels so they where going to give me a set of upgraded wheels from another one on the lot. I was like sweet a free upgrade. 5 minutes later the cops call and they have my wheels at the station. I was out a free upgrade and out the door with my new Jeep by noon.
Sponsored