Sponsored

Are these C and E rated tires the exact same tire?

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Is Nitto just selling a rebadged Load Range E tire as a C? They seem to have the exact same weight to the second decimal place even.

Could it be they just wanted their tire to show up in searches for the new JL Rubicon tire size, and to rush it to market they just took the existing E and called it a C?

Something smells fishy to me.

https://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/ridge-grappler-light-truck-tire/

CaptureNitto2.jpg
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Over the years, I have frequently seen typos in manufacturers' weight listings for tires. Occasionally you'll see, for example, a larger LT-E tire listed at a lower weight than a smaller LT-E tire in the same list. You have to take the data with a grain of salt.

The Exo Grappler, which is basically the same tire with a different tread is listed at 62 lbs. in the E rating.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Everything I seem to find does the same thing with the 315 BFG's.

This is tirerack.com

2018-04-26_7-44-54.jpg

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
The BFG 315/70R17 load C tire was designed for the Ford Raptor. Some other tire manufacturers followed suit to provide some competition to BFG. They are indeed different tires due to the load rating. The load C tires have softer sidewalls and provide a more comfortable ride both on road and off road. The E rated tires have stiffer sidewalls and are more suited for towing or loading the pickup bed with heavy loads.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
The BFG 315/70R17 load C tire was designed for the Ford Raptor. Some other tire manufacturers followed suit to provide some competition to BFG. They are indeed different tires due to the load rating. The load C tires have softer sidewalls and provide a more comfortable ride both on road and off road. The E rated tires have stiffer sidewalls and are more suited for towing or loading the pickup bed with heavy loads.
Correct, but what he's asking is why are the weights listed as the same on them? If a LT-C tire is truly a tire with softer sidewalls and better ride quality, then it stands to reason that it will also be a more lightweight tire. Yet, the data they are publishing doesn't back this up.

Something screwy is going on here if it's not a simple typo or carry-over of the numbers.

Sponsored

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
Correct, but what he's asking is why are the weights listed as the same on them? If a LT-C tire is truly a tire with softer sidewalls and better ride quality, then it stands to reason that it will also be a more lightweight tire. Yet, the data they are publishing doesn't back this up.

Something screwy is going on here if it's not a simple typo or carry-over of the numbers.
A softer rubber compound doesn't necessarily mean it must be lighter. And, even if it is a lighter rubber, there may be more rubber on the sidewalls to provide strength. However, I agree that it's probably a misprint and the weight is probably not exactly the same. In fact, if you look closely at the 285/75R17 tires just beneath the 315s, there are loads E & C. The C is actually slightly heavier than the E.

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I'd like to believe that but something seems awfully fishy. I'm wondering if they just re-badged their E tire as a C on the mold just to bring it to market quickly. After all, an E tire will meet all the necessary specifications of a C tire.

But what if I don't want a super stiff E truck tire on my jeep?

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Check this out. So on the BF Goodrich USA website we have:

LT285/70R17 E weighs 58.16 lbs.

LT285/70R17 C (Raised Black Letter) weighs 50.33 lbs.

Okay, so that makes sense and about what I was expecting. The C tire weighs 7.83 lbs less than the E tire. But now get this:

LT285/70R17 C (Raised White Letter) weighs 51.37 lbs.

So a little bit of white paint weighs a whole 1.04 lbs?! That's crazy. :surprised:

https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tir...-r17-116-q--rbl?fromResultList=&zipCode=90210

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
On the BFG USA website that size weighs 64.53 lbs in E and 64.4 lbs in C. So barely any difference at all. It doesn't seem to be enough to really account for a truly different tire construction.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Check this out. So on the BF Goodrich USA website we have:

LT285/70R17 E weighs 58.16 lbs.

LT285/70R17 C (Raised Black Letter) weighs 50.33 lbs.

Okay, so that makes sense and about what I was expecting. The C tire weighs 7.83 lbs less than the E tire. But now get this:

LT285/70R17 C (Raised White Letter) weighs 51.37 lbs.

So a little bit of white paint weighs a whole 1.04 lbs?! That's crazy. :surprised:

https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tir...-r17-116-q--rbl?fromResultList=&zipCode=90210
This is believable. Tires all have variance. Once, I ordered a set of 285/75-16 Falken Wildpeak tires for my JKU. When they arrived, I put them all on the same scale. Two were 62 lbs, one was 63.5, and one was 64.

I wouldn't lose sleep over a small difference like that.

I would, like you, worry about a LT-C rated tire with less load capacity, totally different construction (in theory), and softer sidewalls and tread belts being listed as the same weight as a much heavier duty LT-E tire of the same brand, model, and size.

Sponsored

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe they used two different scales? ;)

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
look at the psi rating.. they arent the same tire.. I hate e rated tires on jeeps.