First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jku 75th anniversary, 2018 JlU rubicon
Occupation
Homeland security
If my light bar has these amber marker lights ( like a f250) is it legal to drive with these on roads.

I'm aware the bright white ones are off road only.

But this give me a functional amber light bar, plus I can turn on the clear ones when I off road.

Screenshot_20180207-114438.png
Sponsored

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
What is the function of the amber lights on the roof on anything smaller than a cargo van? I never understood them.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
You'll have to check your state (and maybe even locality) law. Indiana, for example, has laws against red headlamps.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
The amber lights themselves are probably legal, but most places require that you have that light bar covered while on public roads... obviously local laws vary, and how much they bust your stones about it is unknown.

Sponsored

tdubs

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Black
Typically amber lights like that are required on vehicles that exceed a certain width in some/most states (see f150 raptor). Not sure of the repercussions of putting them on a vehicle not wide enough to meet the requirement. As with any supplemental vehicle lightning, it would be best to figure out the local/state laws.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Lightbar. The single worst mod I ever did. My JK was quiet inside until the lightbar. Forever more it sounds like a 1970's era ford pickup with the vent window open. Never again will I put one on a Jeep. And I had the Baja Designs Stealth bar which is half as high...

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
If my light bar has these amber marker lights ( like a f250) is it legal to drive with these on roads.

I'm aware the bright white ones are off road only.

But this give me a functional amber light bar, plus I can turn on the clear ones when I off road.

Screenshot_20180207-114438.png

You'll want to verify yourself - I'm not a lawyer, but according to the googles and the internets, Michigan allows White and Amber as the only color lights to be visible from the front of a vehicle, which makes this sound ok.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
You'll want to verify yourself - I'm not a lawyer, but according to the googles and the internets, Michigan allows White and Amber as the only color lights to be visible from the front of a vehicle, which makes this sound ok.
Unless the law, which is the case in many state and localities is to have a cover on aux offroad lighting while on public roads..which would nullify the light bar entirely.

Merlin28

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 JK Sahara builds , JL Rubicon, 95 XJ build
I love how lightbars we’re all the rage. People spent 100’s on purchase and install only to find out the wind noise is so annoying and were illegal to turn on the street. Lolol
Sponsored