Sponsored

Are there any security cargo covers that truly work with soft top down?

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, I love how the Jeep Backbone security cargo carrier fits and that it is aluminum. Although for the soft top version, I wish it actually dipped down to accommodate the soft top in the down position, then maybe add a piano hinge to open the back up 12” or so. In my opinion, when the soft top is down is when your cargo area is most vulnerable and the only reason I want one. I emailed Jeep backbone to please send a picture with the soft top down and they have yet to send it.

Back to the title, Does anyone know of any hard security cargo box that actually works well with a soft top down?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I made my own enclosure. It's the only way to truly get the features you want. I made my prototype out of wood, and upholstered it in carpet. One of these days I'll make an updated version out of aluminum. I made wood first because it's cheap and I can easily make modifications as I use it and figure out what works, what doesn't and/or what would make it better.

I'd recommend making your own so you can put that hinge in where you want it, and make sure it works well with the soft top down. Otherwise there are only 2 or 3 and they all seem very similar.

OP
OP
Trav.city

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I made my own enclosure. It's the only way to truly get the features you want. I made my prototype out of wood, and upholstered it in carpet. One of these days I'll make an updated version out of aluminum. I made wood first because it's cheap and I can easily make modifications as I use it and figure out what works, what doesn't and/or what would make it better.

I'd recommend making your own so you can put that hinge in where you want it, and make sure it works well with the soft top down. Otherwise there are only 2 or 3 and they all seem very similar.
Thanks for the idea. I think I will give that a try. What did you use. 1/2 plywood. Any pictures of yours?

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yes, I used 1/2" plywood. I made a tread on the build → link

It only cost a fraction of the commercially available units at roughly $100. I have a few ideas for the aluminum 2.0 version, but that's the point in making it from a cheap workable material first.
One idea being to make the top panels hinge, but to do so the rear panel has to be just a bit shorter than the front one. I need it like that because I want to be able to hinge it flat open without hitting the seat back.
The other idea is to integrate some sort of tie downs or slots to allow for easily securing items to the top of the box.

Until then, here's a set of photos. Good luck with yours, and happy building. Make sure to post it so I can pirate any ideas you may have that I like. ;)

enclosure-jpg.jpg

enclosure-4-resize-jpg.jpg

OP
OP
Trav.city

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks again for the idea and pictures. I will be trying to build something.

Sponsored

Digger70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I had the Tuffy security enclosure for my JK and used it for 4 years. I used it during the warm months when I had my bikini top on and the cargo cover fit over it. I had the backseat out in my JK since I never had more than one passenger. The back panel was easy to remove if I had something big to put in the back. Here's the version for the JL https://www.quadratec.com/p/tuffy/security-deck-enclosure-jeep-wrangler-jl-4-door I'll probably get it when there's more soft top/bikini top options. I wish I was mechanically inclined like Shots and would build my own.

OP
OP
Trav.city

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I had the Tuffy security enclosure for my JK and used it for 4 years. I used it during the warm months when I had my bikini top on and the cargo cover fit over it. I had the backseat out in my JK since I never had more than one passenger. The back panel was easy to remove if I had something big to put in the back. Here's the version for the JL https://www.quadratec.com/p/tuffy/security-deck-enclosure-jeep-wrangler-jl-4-door I'll probably get it when there's more soft top/bikini top options. I wish I was mechanically inclined like Shots and would build my own.
Thanks, the problem with that is the JL soft top drops down into the tub about 4”s and none of the current first to the market brands have engineered it to accommodate that. I will probably build my own.

Last edited:

WUFJeep

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, I love how the Jeep Backbone security cargo carrier fits and that it is aluminum. Although for the soft top version, I wish it actually dipped down to accommodate the soft top in the down position, then maybe add a piano hinge to open the back up 12” or so. In my opinion, when the soft top is down is when your cargo area is most vulnerable and the only reason I want one. I emailed Jeep backbone to please send a picture with the soft top down and they have yet to send it.

Back to the title, Does anyone know of any hard security cargo box that actually works well with a soft top down?

Same, couldn't find anything I reeeeally liked. But I also have the 2 door puzzle to solve. Shots' is super profess! Mine is a little more down and dirty 2x4 style but here's the link in my profile:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...eping-and-storage-platform.30368/#post-705018

OP
OP
Trav.city

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon

Paramaniac413

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
You could look at the Slipstream from Diabolical. I run a hardtop but the instructions reference soft top support. It’s pretty solid.

CC8BD67C-C9A1-460C-A1E0-81963BF7CFCF.jpeg

F77112EE-4782-4C23-A457-EF7266295F9F.jpeg
I have the Slipstream as well, but I run a soft top. Be prepared to have to strap down your soft top if you get one and the top doesn’t sit down the whole way, so the lock doesn’t work. I strap mine down with Velcro around the bar for the back window. I also use two straps around cargo hooks attached to the hard top screws I’ve got. I love my Slipstream, but just didn’t want you to be surprised if you get one.

Sital

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys - Reign
To second the above post, the soft top will not lock with the Slipstream. A bit pricey, but Diabolical also sells a soft top cover (photo from Diabolical). It compacts the soft top down just a little bit, but mainly it keeps the soft top from bouncing or moving while driving...and it does this very well. Also, it makes the top look nicer when looking at it in the rear view mirror.

Screen Shot 2019-07-15 at 1.30.24 PM.png

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Tiguan SE

Diabolical Inc. I’ve had this for over a year 100% security

OP
OP
Trav.city

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Slipstream as well, but I run a soft top. Be prepared to have to strap down your soft top if you get one and the top doesn’t sit down the whole way, so the lock doesn’t work. I strap mine down with Velcro around the bar for the back window. I also use two straps around cargo hooks attached to the hard top screws I’ve got. I love my Slipstream, but just didn’t want you to be surprised if you get one.
Thanks for the confirmation of what I thought. That is exactly what I would like to avoid.
Sponsored