Are there any security cargo covers that truly work with soft top down?

1. Trav.city

Trav.city Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
    Liked:
    Sales Manager
    Garage Profiles:
    Hello, I love how the Jeep Backbone security cargo carrier fits and that it is aluminum. Although for the soft top version, I wish it actually dipped down to accommodate the soft top in the down position, then maybe add a piano hinge to open the back up 12” or so. In my opinion, when the soft top is down is when your cargo area is most vulnerable and the only reason I want one. I emailed Jeep backbone to please send a picture with the soft top down and they have yet to send it.

Back to the title, Does anyone know of any hard security cargo box that actually works well with a soft top down?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Boiler1986 likes this.
  2. Shots

Shots Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Winchell
    Vehicle(s):
    Wrangler Sahara (JLU), Renegade Limited (BU)
    Liked:
    I made my own enclosure. It's the only way to truly get the features you want. I made my prototype out of wood, and upholstered it in carpet. One of these days I'll make an updated version out of aluminum. I made wood first because it's cheap and I can easily make modifications as I use it and figure out what works, what doesn't and/or what would make it better.

I'd recommend making your own so you can put that hinge in where you want it, and make sure it works well with the soft top down. Otherwise there are only 2 or 3 and they all seem very similar.

TXJeepScientist and Trav.city like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Trav.city

First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Sales Manager
    Garage Profiles:
    Thanks for the idea. I think I will give that a try. What did you use. 1/2 plywood. Any pictures of yours?

jend2018 likes this.
  4. Shots

Shots Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Winchell
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Yes, I used 1/2" plywood. I made a tread on the build → link

It only cost a fraction of the commercially available units at roughly $100. I have a few ideas for the aluminum 2.0 version, but that's the point in making it from a cheap workable material first.
    One idea being to make the top panels hinge, but to do so the rear panel has to be just a bit shorter than the front one. I need it like that because I want to be able to hinge it flat open without hitting the seat back.
    The other idea is to integrate some sort of tie downs or slots to allow for easily securing items to the top of the box.

Until then, here's a set of photos. Good luck with yours, and happy building. Make sure to post it so I can pirate any ideas you may have that I like. ;)

enclosure-jpg.jpg

enclosure-4-resize-jpg.jpg

5. OP
    OP
    Trav.city

First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Sales Manager
    Garage Profiles:
    Thanks again for the idea and pictures. I will be trying to build something.

jend2018 likes this.
  6. Digger70

Digger70 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Sahara JLU bought 6/5/19, 2015 Sahara JK Baja Yellow 3/17-6/19, 2014 Flame Red Willys Wheeler JK 6/14-3/17
    Liked:
    I had the Tuffy security enclosure for my JK and used it for 4 years. I used it during the warm months when I had my bikini top on and the cargo cover fit over it. I had the backseat out in my JK since I never had more than one passenger. The back panel was easy to remove if I had something big to put in the back. Here's the version for the JL https://www.quadratec.com/p/tuffy/security-deck-enclosure-jeep-wrangler-jl-4-door I'll probably get it when there's more soft top/bikini top options. I wish I was mechanically inclined like Shots and would build my own.

Trav.city likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Trav.city

First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Sales Manager
    Garage Profiles:
    #7 Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Thanks, the problem with that is the JL soft top drops down into the tub about 4”s and none of the current first to the market brands have engineered it to accommodate that. I will probably build my own.

8. WUFJeep

WUFJeep Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Same, couldn't find anything I reeeeally liked. But I also have the 2 door puzzle to solve. Shots' is super profess! Mine is a little more down and dirty 2x4 style but here's the link in my profile:
    https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...eping-and-storage-platform.30368/#post-705018

9. RedWranger

RedWranger Active Member

First Name:
    Shawn
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    You could look at the Slipstream from Diabolical. I run a hardtop but the instructions reference soft top support. It’s pretty solid.

CC8BD67C-C9A1-460C-A1E0-81963BF7CFCF.jpeg

F77112EE-4782-4C23-A457-EF7266295F9F.jpeg

10. OP
    OP
    Trav.city

First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Sales Manager
    Garage Profiles:
    Wow, that looks great. You thought about everything. I started to sketch an idea today and this has given me a few more ideas. Thanks for taking the time to share.

11. Shots

Shots Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Winchell
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Hey man, don't knock yours, you did a great job on it. I like the multiple variations and features you put into it. Well done. :like:

12. Paramaniac413

Paramaniac413 New Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
    Liked:
    I have the Slipstream as well, but I run a soft top. Be prepared to have to strap down your soft top if you get one and the top doesn’t sit down the whole way, so the lock doesn’t work. I strap mine down with Velcro around the bar for the back window. I also use two straps around cargo hooks attached to the hard top screws I’ve got. I love my Slipstream, but just didn’t want you to be surprised if you get one.

13. OldMan&TheJeep

OldMan&TheJeep Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLU Sahara - Ocean Blue
    Liked:
    To second the above post, the soft top will not lock with the Slipstream. A bit pricey, but Diabolical also sells a soft top cover (photo from Diabolical). It compacts the soft top down just a little bit, but mainly it keeps the soft top from bouncing or moving while driving...and it does this very well. Also, it makes the top look nicer when looking at it in the rear view mirror.

Screen Shot 2019-07-15 at 1.30.24 PM.png

14. ocrejects

ocrejects Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Rubicon, 2016 A5 Audi, 2007 A4 convertible
    Liked:
    Diabolical Inc. I’ve had this for over a year 100% security

15. OP
    OP
    Trav.city

First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Sales Manager
    Garage Profiles:
    Thanks for the confirmation of what I thought. That is exactly what I would like to avoid.