Sponsored

Are there any options/specs that you regret getting OR not getting?

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
The proximity locks are great, I did not like them at first. Great safety feature that allows you to get into the vehicle quick if needed.

I would have gotten the tow package looking back. Only because I am now moving to a place that has 4 acres and a trailer will come in handy.
Sponsored

Ellsterling22

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Unlimited
Occupation
Banker
FWIW, installing a Class III hitch on the Wrangler is dead simple no matter the brand that you purchase. The harness install is almost plug & play, too, although also a bit time consuming (CANBUS tech on the JL/JLU requires that a wire be run from the rear of the vehicle up to the positive post of the battery.)

Purchasing and installing the hitch and harness yourself will keep a fair bit of money in your pocket. You can use the savings to ease the sting when the dealer installs the auxiliary switch bank, which I'm told is somewhat labor intensive and a bit complex.
So I would of course be capable and willing to install the hitch because of its simplicity, but the dealer isnā€™t charging labor for it just for the harness. Also plan on going to get all the add ins mentioned in my original post done at once and the dealer quoted me a max labor price, but stated that it would likely be discounted because some of the labor can be be done at the same time so they would discount that at the labor rate of $90/hr. If I was back in CA where I have access to all my old tools I would go for it, but living on base here in DE Iā€™m very limited on tools and space.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
If I was back in CA where I have access to all my old tools I would go for it, but living on base here in DE Iā€™m very limited on tools and space.
USAF vet here, as my profile pic suggests.

I availed myself of the DIY auto hobby shops on every permanent party base at which I was stationed. Does Dover have such a facility? If so, you'd likely have access to a lift and the tool loan counter.

I see that paid mechanic services are available, which is why I mention the DIY component.
https://www.doverfss.com/auto-hobby

TACO4ME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Just ordered my JLUR last week and remote proximity keyless entry was a must have. I have it on my current daily driver and love it. Hands don't need to be full to enjoy getting into your ride without taking a key fob out of your pocket every time.

I also included the advanced safety group. Current daily driver has adaptive cruise control. Its nice to set it and forget it when you're in traffic and just let the system do it's thing.

Jsmeltz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I regret not getting the the full cold weather group. Ordered Sahara with the remote start and cloth. Probably won't miss it, but for the extra $500, it would feel more loaded to me. If the wiring is in place for the option. I'll end up putting it in. Will cost me double for parts, but I'll do the install in my garage. By the the time I pay the finance interest, it will almost balance out in cost. As long as the harness is in place, I can get parts at a salvage yard. Not hard to change the steering wheel and run the wire to the main harness or install the seat elements. Just have to hope the main harness behind the dash has the connectors for adding the option. Obviously have to add the heating modules and replace the climate control buttons. Seen the switch panel for $170 online. Waiting on the response from FCA. If not, oh well, my remote start will have to be my cold weather package. Keeping my fingers crossed......

Sponsored

Jsmeltz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I canā€™t imagine anyone with the Halogen lights doesnā€™t want to upgrade them to LED ....
Yes! I really wanted them in my Sahara but opted for the 8.4 Nav and Alpine and the anti spin rear differential. I can add nice LED lighting for $500....Wanted factory, but didn't want to cross the $50K mark....

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
When I bought my 2018 Sport S, I regretted not having the following:
1. Proximity entry.
2. Lockers
3. Bigger Axles
4. Steel Bumper Group
5. uConnect 8.4ā€ (itā€™s vastly better than the 7ā€)

All of these have been corrected when we traded in for a 2021 Rubicon.

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
heated seats and steering wheel, now in a gladiator and it is the one option I wish it had....a total bargain and helps in the winter but even makes spring, summer and fall better when doors and top off you can still stay warm

rayvonp

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler 4xe, 2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Truck Driver
I regret not getting the cold weather package

Sponsored

Tom73

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 2500, 1967 Chevy 2
Got a 2020 Sport S Unlimited 4dr. Wife is active duty so it was more of a same day buy and didnā€™t have much options due to time constraints and COVID delaying our other vehicle to get here in time. That said, we definitely wish we would have gotten the tow package and remote start. Iā€™ll be taking it into the dealership in April to get the trailer brake, towing harness, auxiliary switch bank, and tow hitch, but the cost is unbelievable to get it added on plus Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™ll have to change the alternator since I believe the factory tow package comes with a different alternator. For the remote start, we have it on our other vehicle so itā€™s just a preference but not a necessity for sure.
not sure how you plan on using the Jeep to tow but if you can live with the hitch and wiring harness only then I can install it for you. Thank you for your service. Only under extreme duty with electric brakes on the trailer would you need the alternator upgrade and the aux switches only come into play if you have something to wire to them.

Tom73

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 2500, 1967 Chevy 2
For those wishing they had proximity locks I say go for it - the parts are relatively inexpensive and the install isnā€™t overly complicated. Personally I only did my drivers door. If you are near south Jersey and need help lmk.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
For those wishing they had proximity locks I say go for it - the parts are relatively inexpensive and the install isnā€™t overly complicated. Personally I only did my drivers door. If you are near south Jersey and need help lmk.
Iā€™m near there, in Florida can you help? šŸ˜‚ maybe I need to watch a simpler video because to me it looked involved.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
My Rubicon is still on order, but I've so far already questioned whether it was a mistake to leave off the LEDs and the 8.4 inch display.

I'm not sold on LED lights, especially since they tend to destroy my nightvision when I'm out doing night sky photography. And it seems like an excessive expense when I can just slap a couple aux lights on and be done with it if I need more light. But the everybody on the forum raves about them, so now I'm wondering if I should have added them. Oh well. I've always driven halogens, so I probably don't know what I'm missing and will likely be more than content with these, ha.

And I was very sure that I didn't want the 8.4 inch display, mostly because you can't get it without also getting the Alpine speakers and the subwoofer eats up the cargo space in the 2dr that I wasn't willing to sacrifice for the sake of speakers. But it also sounds like a lot of options are locked off without it. I don't much care about all the Sirius stuff, but the off road pages might have been nice. But I suppose I could always buy an upgraded head unit and install it myself later if it really bugs me. That said, it looks like it adds more layers of complexity and I like to keep things as simple as possible. Less potential points of failure. And with space at a premium in a 2dr, I wanted that dang cargo bin.

I also probably should have gone for a dual top option and gotten a soft top too, especially since I can't find anyone offering an aftermarket soft top in tan. But, eh. It wasn't a priority. I'll live. Less stuff to store and more excuse to run it naked.

Whether I regret anything I did order (Cold Weather, Tow/HD Electrical, Hinge Reinforcement) remains to be seen, but I doubt I'll have any regrets. Though, I suspect the hinge reinforcement was a little gimmicky. But I can live with that too. I managed to keep the whole package under $43k and it's exactly the platform I want to build off of, so I'm happy.
For the LED lights, if you don't know what you're missing you probably will be content. Especially with some additional lights. You won't have the problem of snow buildup in the recessed headlights. IDK why nobody makes a domed headlight cover to eliminate the recess, that would resolve the problem.

I didn't get the 8.4" display for the same reasons as you. The floor subwoofer placement in the 2dr is in the dumbest spot ever. I also heard that small rocks fall into it and it turns into a rattle, which seems quite plausible, and it's difficult to remove them. The one annoying thing about not getting the 8.4 is you lose the Off Road Pages. It's on the driver dash display (via multiple pages) but not all on one screen in the center display. I'll be getting the Superchips TrailCal to display what I lost by not getting the 8.4 display. At least it's a lot cheaper than the 8.4" upgrade. Pretty sure that will get me over that disappointment.

I'm absolutely not regretting Cold Weather, Tow/HD Electrical & Proximity Entry. The heated steering wheel is awesome. I sometimes catch myself getting handsy with the wheel like a weirdo. Ooooh... so warm...

sfurash53

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Willys
Waiting for a Willys, the one based off the sport S.
Didn't want nor get the nanny stuff as I don't use it. I didn't get heated seats as I've had them but didn't use them.
I also didn't get the proximity door locks as no one in Maine locks their doors.
Coming from a Willys jk which is old school manual locks crank windows.
My must haves 8.4 radio, tow package, led's, fulltime 4WD and a few other functional items.
Wished I could have gotten steel bumper group from factory.
I don't know why jeep isn't more ala cart
Sponsored