Sponsored

Are there any options/specs that you regret getting OR not getting?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I wrote a long thing justifying why I might be ordering a stripped down base JLU. But I deleted it.

You have to decide what you want. If you want it, you are going to get it eventually or just end up disappointed in your buy. Pay now or pay later. If the pay now is a $10,000 upgrade for something you can do for $1000, then might not be worth it. If you want $5000 worth of goodies and it will cost you $6000 at the factory, you'll probably be happier having it from the factory and probably be happier with whatever extras it comes with. For me, to get the options I want would be an extra 20k, but I'll end up with 15k worth of stuff I don't care about. Also, if you are financing at a super low rate, it almost makes more financial sense to buy those upgrades now unless you are paying for them later from invested money, if you want to justify your spending
That will almost never happen because:

Factory order will always come out much cheaper than adding it later, especially when you factor in labor.
Sponsored

Last edited:

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
For me I wish, I ordered the soft top window bag, it is $75 when ordered. The Mopar one has a list price of $165.

oyealiz

First Name
Liz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Solar Yellow TJ and Sting Gray JLU
Wish I got the proximity door sensors. Always loved it on my Corvette's. I plan to add the entire setup this year when it warms up a bit.
Same. How much is this going to run? You'll be able to install youself?

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Same. How much is this going to run? You'll be able to install youself?
$400ish. I can do it myself. Plenty of threads about it.

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
i totally regret not getting the dash duck option.

Jeep Wrangler JL Are there any options/specs that you regret getting OR not getting? 1616457993472

FCA OWE ME i will never forgive this will be the last jeep i ever buy (until next time :) )

Sponsored

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
Wow, so many people like the proximity door locks, but I specifically avoided this option. I live in the city and two things do not work for that -- soft tops and automatic doors. Proximity sensors on different vehicles work different, but I prefer the more purposeful button-press on the fob for both locking and unlocking. I did not get the proximity system and I don't regret it all.

Other than that, I got all the options I wanted and the aftermarket takes care of the rest! I wish there was a factory roof rack that attached through the roof to the bars. There are good aftermarket options, but if the hard top was designed to have one it would be better.

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
I am happy across the board with what I did and did not get.
1. Cold Weather Group is a winner. Agree with other posts with top and doors off a nice warm seat an a cool evening or morning is really nice, even if you don't live somewhere cold...
2. The Tow group (primarily for Aux switches) is a winner.
3. I am thankful every single day that I bucked the dealer pressure and FCA delays to get a JLUR without any of the "safety" options. Every time I drive my wife's vehicle and have to deal with the safety features it just re-emphasizes how much I appreciate not having them in my Jeep.
4. I skipped the LED group as well....happy with that choice, going to end up replacing headlights and DRLs anyway, why pay extra for the LED group then just pull it all off?

Minnesota_JL

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL sport Manual 44K Miles
Hi guys,

Ordering a JLUR next week.

I have slaved over all the different options. I think I've finally got it ironed out.

But, change my mind...

Tell me what you wish you would have gotten or wish you didn't get.
I would definitely get the towing package with the Auxiliary switches. Right now I use towing every once in a while. but I have found that the switches are very helpful. I use two of the four, one controls my light bar, the other controls the pod lights. Be careful hooking these up as its pretty easy to blow a fuse and they are hard to come by.

Rumplemenz

First Name
Geno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport, 1986 Ford Mustang Notchback
Hi guys,

Ordering a JLUR next week.

I have slaved over all the different options. I think I've finally got it ironed out.

But, change my mind...

Tell me what you wish you would have gotten or wish you didn't get.
Spent 1850 for 8.4” and alpine... wldnt do it again. Dont get me wrong i like it but im not into all bells and whistles when it comes to flat screens in cars
Spent a premium on altitude package for sahara. $3200. No clue why i did that. Personally like black roof the best
Dropped 1500 on 3.6. Im leasing 😳
As you can see my build preparation was legit lol

oyealiz

First Name
Liz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, so many people like the proximity door locks, but I specifically avoided this option. I live in the city and two things do not work for that -- soft tops and automatic doors. Proximity sensors on different vehicles work different, but I prefer the more purposeful button-press on the fob for both locking and unlocking. I did not get the proximity system and I don't regret it all.

Other than that, I got all the options I wanted and the aftermarket takes care of the rest! I wish there was a factory roof rack that attached through the roof to the bars. There are good aftermarket options, but if the hard top was designed to have one it would be better.
I don't like having to get my key fob out to unlock the doors. Haven't had to do that on my main ride in many, many years! :)

Sponsored

SRP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I had a 2018 JL Sahara (hence the forum name) without the proximity sensors and I hated it. The JLUR has them.
I wish I would've gotten the tow package with aux switches, to answer your question.
I also wish I would've gotten the dual top group.

If I was ordering today, I would also get the dual door group, if its in the budget.
+1 Tow package and aux switches

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I don't like having to get my key fob out to unlock the doors. Haven't had to do that on my main ride in many, many years! :)
We can probably put a price on that.

Imagine how much time you spend everyday fumbling around for keys?

For ease of calculation, we’ll just say we average 1 minute per day fumbling for keys.
So in a year that’s 356 minutes, which is around 6 hours, in 10 years, that’s around 60 hours.

Now ask yourself how much your time is worth (YMMV). But let’s say mine is $100/hr.

60 x 100 = $6000

Not getting proximity locks might have costed you around $6000 for an option that’s $500 to order.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
The proximity doors are probably the option that surprised me the most. Coming from a stripped down JK sport I had no idea how much I would like them.

oyealiz

First Name
Liz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The proximity doors are probably the option that surprised me the most. Coming from a stripped down JK sport I had no idea how much I would like them.
I came from a highly optioned Jaguar F-Pace S. lol I still have my heated steering wheel and seats but have to have a keyfob to open the dang door. CrAzY!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My Fiat 124 Spider has proximity locks as well. But to unlock you first have to press a button on the outside of the door handle. Seems like such an inconvenience! :LOL:

Jeep Wrangler JL Are there any options/specs that you regret getting OR not getting? 1616493735311

The proximity sensors on the Jeep, on the other hand, are sweet.
Sponsored